Tuesday, October 28, 2008

pumpkins, and a nine patch quilt in the works


dear GI joe husband,
next year you get to carve the pumpkins because your boys are pansies and couldn't handle the "gross innards" they then decided that carving them was "too hard" so yeah guess what... i did all 3 of the boys, and i'm pretty sure my hand is going to be cramped into the formation of holding a carving knife for a looooong time. they need you around to show them how to be men. my favorite quote of the night was from your 8 year old son who said "mom, you are doing such a great job, even if it doesn't look good, you are doing a great job." gee thanks kid. he then added "no, i'm not saying it looks bad, but if it were to look bad you are doing a great job anyways." hmm, i think i'll take that as a compliment,i heard "great job" three times so i'm taking that and running with it... i'm having that kind of day (well it's sure a whole heck of a lot better than sunday).
oh and this weekend wasn't ALL bad, before it went down the toilet my fabulous friend who just so happens to be a professional quilter and i got together on saturday, she came over and while our seven children ran in circles and jumped on the trampoline, she worked on her applique, and i started to sew all my strips together for my nine patch...i got to do a little more yesterday and that made me happy.
love,
your adoring wife who's still trying her darndest to hold on tight to anything just to keep the sanity.

12 comments:

Trixi said...

I am so glad you are having better days!!! I am sure your pumpkins look great and you are creating some great memories with your kiddos. They are going to remember the great effort you made to make life as normal as possible for them.
On to your nine patch, I don't guess I could talk you into a tutorial on the making strips and making your block could I. I wouldn't mind a tutorial on the whole process but I wont be that greedy!
Have a great day!

Janis said...

Hey, you're Wonder-Mom to me!

I'm just catching up today, my heart aches for your weekend. Just know that everyone has those days and those moments, we all have to give in sometimes. I only wish you had the comfort of your life by your side to help you through.

The kids will be so proud of the pumpkins and your nine-patch is looking good. You keep putting up these gorgeous photos, I'm feeling the quilting bug reawaken. I love your liberal use of white and I have a big batch of Kona just waiting . . .

Love & God bless!

Sandy said...

You must be doing something right, if your kids know to give you positive reinforcement to keep you doing something for them that they don't want to do themselves:)

Liz Harrell said...

Just stumbled onto your blog today, it's lovely.

Felicia said...

Good job, V... good job :o)

We were supposed to carve pumpkins last night,too, but at the last second I wimped out and ran to the video store and rented Casper.

I'm trying to talk my kids into spray painting their pumpkins this year...but they aren't having it.

I think you're going to have that whole quilt put together before I even applique a flower on mine!

Jenny said...

Your pumpkin story totally made me laugh! My sis made a quilt using very similar fabrics, and it turned out so cute. I'm sure yours will look great!

amyandco said...

Hey, I know you don't know me... I don't know how you do it! I have bad days like your "Sunday" all of the time, and my husband is here! I thought you might want to know that you are setting a wonderful example to some of us who are also struggling!

Mindy said...

Okay, V, you've officially made me feel like the worst mother of the year. My kids wanted to carve pumpkins last night and I said "NO! I am not in the mood to mess with that tonight. Forget about it!" Now I feel like a pile of goat poo.

Georgia Girl said...

Glad your having a better day! Gotta remember to come back and see about this quilt pattern. Still need to get material for the other pattern you shared with me a few weeks ago.

Stop on by my blog...you have been boo-ed!! ~♥~ Hope this cheers you up!

Nash said...

I am so sorry about the last few days.
You are such an example of a courageous woman to me. You are strong!
I am loving all of your new projects.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

I sure enjoyed browsing through your Site. So many delightful things to see. I even ordered one of your stitchery patterns. Just looking at the photo of the nine patch pieces stacked up, would bring a smile to anyone's face. You do beautiful work.
Mary Lou @ thehouseofwhimsy

Lisa Henderson said...

Youre so nice... now im feeling guilty for ditching my husband to go blog while he did the pumpkin! our sons wouldnt touch the inside either because it was slimy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin