Thursday, October 9, 2008

meet "barbara", the loan-er


so GI joe husband and i had a conversation the other night and it went a *little* like this: (i MAY have taken some liberty in my creative writing. and he MAY not of said EXACTLY what i've written)
GI joe husband: hey so i read the blog cause i am totally into reading your blog and hold my breath till the next time you post, because i think you are so inspirational and funny and witty and blah blah blah...he went on for-EVER about how wonderful i was... and i saw that your sewing machine wasn't working...what happened sweetest wife of mine?
me: oh you know, i've used and abused her like a $50 you know what and eventually she was gonna break.
GI joe husband: well why don't you buy yourself another one oh beautiful wife of mine of 10 and half years who looks better each year that passes by (ha ha this is fun)
me: uh cause next time i'm buying a sewing machine, it's going to be able to do EVERYTHING... i mean, it's going to be able to do cute little monograms, it's going to be able to do the blanket stitch, and if i want it to, it'll be able to cook dinner AND help the kids with their homework. those don't run cheap, they cost like a ba-zillion dollars. maybe i should ask bush to give me some money since he seems to think that handing out billions is a good idea.
GI joe husband:.well, just start saving up as much as you can and we'll see what we can do...and when i come home i'll make sure to rub your back every single night even when you don't beg me to...
me: okay i already have some saved and working on saving some more but for now i've "borrowed" an older, more tired version of what i'm looking for.
so everyone meet "barbara", i don't know why i named her that but that's her name okay, and she's going to help me through my time of limbo of not having a working sewing machine...what does that mean to all of you? well nothing really but i'll be able to finish projects again AND maybe make some more stuff for the upcoming craft fair we do here in the middle of nowhere to celebrate all the men going out of town to go deer hunting...yup you read it right, at least that's what i was told why we do it the weekend that it's planned... i love this town...

18 comments:

Aubrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aubrey said...

You make me feel guilty for having a brand-new machiner that's been used once in ten months.

In my defense, it doesn't have a special (ie protected) place to be used. It's only a Kenmore, so don't break out in too many hives at my wanton wastefulness. ;)

When is said craft fair? I'm tempted to talk Nicole into driving down just to see all your creative pretties in person.

Ousizch said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
V and Co. said...

it's the 18th (that should be a saturday) haha! hives i love it! now if you had a bernina then we would be talking hives!

Ashli said...

I miss those days of craft fairs and feasts....you do have a life in paradise right now. Small towns are the best!

Nicole said...

Ok, you will really hate me. I have an old Singer, that really needs some work. But my SIL, who hardly even sews has a spiffy bernina. No monograms, but still some cool stitches. Well she's moving away for like 5 years and guess who gets to babysit her maching??? As much as I wish she wasn't moving I can't help but be way excited about this babysitting job!

Anonymous said...

Snort!
What a good man you have there!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Any machine will do in a pinch! Now don't anybody shoot me but I have a Janome 11000 which is, I think, cheaper than a Bernina and I love Janome so much I've traded up 3 times! You might just give it a look. blessings, marlene

haley said...

i love it! and where did all the advertisements come from??? are you too cool to be my friend now or hasn't it gone to your head yet??? oh- and i'm sure that is EXACTLY what beau brady said!

Anonymous said...

My machine is the same model. I love her. I should name her. It would be nice to have a upgrade. Happy sewing.

Anonymous said...

I was torn between a Bernina and a Huskvanra. The sewing class that I took only sold Huskvarna's so I ended up getting that. But I bought it off eBay! For a $2200 machine, with emboirdery unit, I only paid $600. Talk about a deal!

Anonymous said...

I have that machine and it is my favorite gift that my now husband ever gave me. He found the best bare-bones, non-computerized, completely mechanical machine he could find and gave it to me on our 1st anniversary of dating - we've been together 6 years now and I still absolutely love that machine. She may be simple, but she could last a lifetime with that simplicity :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog through Sew, Mama, Sew and enjoying browsing through the entries. I, too, am a country girl who's known the joy of reviving an outdated, cast-off ranch-style home. Congratulations!
Praying for your sweet, handy hubby's safe return.

burg3g said...

Have you heard about Bagram yet? Chris misses his buddies.

SLO Rober said...

So funny. And GI Joe is so eloquent.

Kara said...

So how much is a sewing machine anyway? So my little $80 machine won't cook dinner and sew those little whatever you said? *confusion


jk

Deeanna said...

My moms 1960 Bernina is my favorite machine I've ever worked with. I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to own one made in the this century. Bernina all the way! Hold out for what you want. Have you ever explored the idea of asking them for a free sewing machine in exchange for advertising about it on your blog? With as many people that read this, it would be a sweet deal for them!

Marylynn said...

Glad I was able to help, since it sat in my closet. At least it's getting used, so sew away!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin