Monday, November 17, 2008

tutorial::how to make a nine patch

okay so this nine patch quilt is made of nine squares to make one block and then a plain white block in between. i'm going to show you how to make the nine square block. (sorry about the pictures, they didn't turn out super great but at least i had pictures!)
first cut out strips of fabric (in my quilt i did bigger strips of 2 and 1/2 inches, but for this table runner i cut out 1 and 1/2 inch strips)
you'll need to cut out:
* one middle strip(white) and two color ones for the out side strips
*one color one for the middle and two white ones for the outside
* and if you want it scrappy looking cut out one middle (white) and two other color for outside
with right sides together sew your strips length wise...

on either side of the white (this will be one of your top or bottom square strip)
press with an iron and make sure the fabric is pressed AWAY from the white fabric (this will later come into play because when you assemble your blocks the creases "nestle" into each other)
here i pressed the fabric again away from the white fabric.
now you should have your strips all ready to be cut
cut them the same length of your strips so these were cut at 1 and 1/2 inches
once you cut all your square strips, set them out like this one with two colors, then one with one color, and lastly one with two colors. it should look like this, and now you are going to starting on one side of your block put right sides together, (here is where your squares will "nestle" into the creases making it easier to line up your squares) sew it together press, and do the same with the next strip of squares.
all three strips of squares sewn together will look like these when you are done, press them with an iron, and keep on going!
if you have more questions let me know. once again sorry about the pictures!
comments closed

6 comments:

SLO Rober said...

Thanks so much for the tutorials. I have always wanted to learn to quilt, and now, thanks to you, I have started a pinwheel quilt. So far so good!

Trixi said...

Oh, they look great. I'm not 100% about the ironing away and nestling part but I will ask if I don't do it right. Thank you again for your tutorials. Thay are great!!!

rachel griffith said...

cute tut...as always.
LOVE those blue fabrics.
:D

Mimi Sue said...

I'm just finishing up a quilt class so this post is so great. Love the 9 patch with the white. Very fresh looking. I'm having a hard time finding time to quilt. Busy time of year. But if you can do it I should be able to. Mimi

Tanya said...

thanks v! do you know how many of these i would have to do if i cut them 2 1/2" to make a king quilt? and how big are the big white squares in between the 9patches?

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooo much! This is easy to follow and I am going to begin right after Christmas!!! I am also wondering about the exact same question that Tanya asked about above!?!?

It's me from Vermont and just to let you know I am still holding my breath that you will put up the reversible skirt pattern tutorial sometime when you have a moment!!! I am so sure that you are beyond busy but, when and if you have the time could you very please, with a cherry on top?!?
Sending my Best Wishes in Thankful November,
Mary Ann

I'll be so happy to purchase the directions from you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin