Friday, November 7, 2008

before and after::small changes

you know sometimes you just get tired of the same 'ol same 'ol. you just want a new look, well you don't have to go out and buy all new stuff, you could always just look around and move a little thing here and a little thing there...or get rid of something and add some nature... before: flowers with some red berries...looks just fine, but i was tired of it.
after: get rid of the berries (use them somewhere else) and go out side and make use of some my falling branches outside...got to love the wind and cold!

before: mirror, looks cute but kind of bare, i knew that i wanted plates around it so i went to the second hand store


after: bought some white plates, and found (score!) some cute little vintage looking bowls each at 50 cents to $1 each.


before: oh dear heavens yes i had fake ivy...and that was cool in like 1999 but not so much anymore so out with the fake ivy...

after: in with some more twigs from outside till i can get some money put aside to buy some cool twigs from a store...
don't have a before on this one, but you remember the berries from the first picture...they made it into the basket above my armoire (sp!?) in my bedroom, gives it color and height.
no need to go out and buy all new stuff just look around and use what you got!
thats it for me this week, i got a two day trip to pack for, nothing major but it's the little outings sometimes that keep you going! have a good weekend!

21 comments:

Rachel Berry said...

I love the branches, and those plates above her mirror are too perfect! (her lamp is pretty darn cool too) Love your little simple makeovers this is the best way to decorate, using what you got!!!

:)Rachel

Have a great trip.

Camille said...

We must be on the same wavelength girl! I did this tonight too- just moved a few things around, lamps, flowers, just little things to make things feel interesting again. I love your style!

Hey, I have a question for you- what paint finish did you use on your buffet?? It looks beautiful!

Trixi said...

It all looks great. I love your twigs and using what you have around.

rachel griffith said...

super cute changes.
:D

Sandy said...

I'm getting so many great ideas from you for simple "fixes" -- thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi Vanessa,

Here are a couple of sites I think you will like.

1. tipjunkie.com lots of fun ideas.
2. simplfysupper.com this has made life so much easier.
3.poppyginger.blogspot.com I think that's right. she has some cute ideas.
Have fun on your trip. Stay warm. Lee

Anonymous said...

I especially love using twigs in your arrangements and the pretty little thrift store plates around your mirror.

Cute changes!

Candy

Anonymous said...

Oh, and something is waiting for you on my blog!

Keep on Junking!
Candy

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Nothing more fun than some simple makeovers! I love it!

Just came over from Kimba's! Nice to meet you!

Melissa

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

I too just popped on over from Kimba's.

I think we have something in common...we're both tweekers! I love to tweek. I cannot stop tweeking EVERYTHING in my house. I think I might need a 12 step program for this problem. Nice to know I'm not alone.

Thanks for letting me ramble...I'll for sure be back.

Amy B said...

I just found your blog. Wow. I am enjoying taking some time looking at how talented you are. What wonderful simple ideas that look so pretty. Hey who needs Design TV when we can come here?

Betsy said...

That is some great redos for very little money. MY husband would be so pleased.

Sunny said...

found you via Kimba's blog...cute decor! love these little areas of your home. I love the furniture in your rooms, btw. B-e-a-utiful!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! I love your little changes, and want to urge you to stick with the arrangement in your loo. The real branches look better than anything you'll find in a store. Cheers! L

Carry Grace said...

I love the changes!

Carrie said...

What good makeover ideas. I need to do some of these at my house. I love the branches -- how easy is that?

Pam @ Frippery said...

Beautiful. It's so much fun to tweak things now and then.I found your blog through Candy at Junk Sophiticate. I will be visiting often. Pam

Nancy said...

Your before and after photos are great! I am somewhat of a lurker on your blog, just read about last week, and wanted to say, I think you and your family, and all military families, deserve medals yourselves. To be able to be a single mom of 4 kids, while your husband is overseas, i think is nothing short of amazing! You women (and som men today) are true heroes yourselves. And if you have a day when it's overwhelming and need to have a good cry, or eat a quart of ice cream, you go right ahead! As for fighting with 8 year olds,, we all get drawn into that from time to time. Part of parenthood. God bless you.

Mimi Sue said...

Just came over from a soft place to land and I'm glad I did. You are just amazing. Keep up the good work and know that what you are doing is important with your family and your home. Love your quilts. I'm just starting a beginning quilt class and I hope I get half as good as you. I'll be back when I have more time. Mimi

Leslie said...

i love the color of the paint that i can see in the picture of the dresser. Would you mind sharing what color that is?

V and Co. said...

ralph lauren "kaki" ul60

Blog Widget by LinkWithin