Thursday, April 3, 2008

sweet escapes

do you ever feel like a failure as a parent?
*sigh* sometimes the best remedy for EVERYTHING is a great book. just finished yet another hale book, goose girl, this one won my heart. loved it. and when i got home from yet another emotionally draining day of being the mother bear and trying to explain to the principle and teachers that my son is not acting out, out of defiance, but rather that negative attention is better than no attention and we need to do constant fine tuning of trying to find how to help my oldest cope with school life and those around him, (he's just barely making a friend, those other boys are still there looming and taunting, and i have to remind them that he's doing all his work at home and at school) but that his only way to try to get attention is to be a class clown. i've tried to explain to them that he's been doing so well at home with the token system, and that i NEED for them to do something like this in the classroom if not for the whole class then for just my kid to help with the behaviors. i think i may be getting through to them. i find myself too tired, no too exhausted to create, sew, or think. tired of worrying, tired of crying, tired of the headaches that go with the two mentioned before. so what have i been doing, i've been escaping to different worlds that books bring to me, love and deceit, sword fights, and smart young maidens with quick tongues. i always have mixed emotions when i finish a book that is not in a series, on one hand i love that i got to finish the story and i get to "pick" my next travel, but on the other hand, it's over, our friendship is cut short. so yeah, i've been needing A LOT of escaping these days, but that just means i get to live their lives for a few days and get to escape my sometimes draining life.

9 comments:

girlsmama said...

Now that you've read Goose Girl (Love it!) you have to read Enna Burning. Then River Secrets! I love a good series! Love you and thinking of you!

melissa said...

I wholeheartedly echo your sentiments! Reading and escaping my own reality for a whole other world was one of the only things that helped me through a difficult time with infertility. I LOVE a good book! I am still trying to START the Twilight series- I have heard wonderful things about them! Good luck choosing your next adventure!

Marie said...

I love reading books. Let me know of some that you loved. I love romantic suspense novels. One of my favorites is Betsy Brannon Green.

Rachel Holloway said...

A good Book IS such a wonderful escape--and I am so glad that you found a little something to help you through. You are so strong! Thinking of you--really.

Nash said...

Good, I need a book to read.
Sorry to hear about your son. What kind of school is it? We have so many Charter schools here in AZ, they really work with the kids. Have you ever tried Montessori. I don't know the full story just going off your post.
I worry about how I will be ok with having my last baby. I am sort of planning that now after #4.

V and Co. said...

thanks guys

there are many charter schools here in the state of utah too, which would do wonders for my kid and his special circumstances (he's got sevier anxiety, and some ocd tendacies, and of course the big one is A.D.H.D) but i live in a remote area, 500 people, to be exact, we made it 506? anyways, i dont' have options only one elementary school, and the more i pray about it and do the research on it, for my kid taking him out and homeschooling would be actually doing a disservice to him. (trust me i've been wanting to take him out at the first signs of the bully thing...but i can't not right now, if it gets worse, i will then again rethink and repray about it and look at homeschooling again) thanks for the thoughts and kindness guys...thank you really.

girlsmama said...

Vanessa, I totally agree on the Homeschooling option for Nate. I think right now the cons outweigh the pros. Keep being his advocate and we'll keep praying with you!

SLO Rober said...

All Hail Shannon Hale!

Mindy said...

Oh, I love to read!!! It is such a wonderful escape!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin