Wednesday, April 9, 2008

great second hand finds...

so i was looking around my house, and i thought i would share with you some of my AWESOME second hand finds (some of them were free cause ahem they were found next to the dumpsters) this is my coffee table (one of my favorite pieces of furniture) it's been with us the whole 10 years of our marriage i found it by the dumpster while we were apartment managers in cali. slapped some paint on it and distressed it and well i've had a few women offer as much as $200 for it, but sorry it's mine forever.
this one my husband found by the dumpster (same place in cali) slapped some paint on it and it's been pretty worn, i might need to repaint it one of these days. (robin's egg blue? or puke green tend to be the fav's these days)
this one actually cost me a bit $30 at a garage sale but i love it cause it holds my computer and hides it! (slapped black paint and distressed)
this picture cost me $3 at a garage sale ( i painted the frame and matte and... tada!)
these plates cost me a total of $1.50
the wooden box that the candle is in cost me a whopping $1
so you can be frugal and a tightwad and still have things look kind of nice. i have a few more in the works (still need to slap some paint on them) but i will show them off when i get to doing it! i have a ton more stuff but i'll wait for another day!

15 comments:

Sally said...

I WISH I had time to bargain shop...or shop at all. :) You have the cutest stuff!

Rachel Holloway said...

OOOOOH! You put my finds to SHAME! I need you to come visit so you can show me the potential all MY STUFF HAS! :) You did such an awesome job!

Lisa Henderson said...

Vanessa- I dont mean to be a blog stalker but I do love checking your blog. My name is Lisa and Im Brian Robers sister and met you long ago. I do love the stuff you have fixed up and Im looking at painting and distressing a piece of furniture I have but I just wanted to know if you distress with sandpaper or if you rag the paint off? Do you put a coat of paint under the top one that you want to show through? What is your favorite way to do? I hope you dont mind me posting!
BTW: Our family just wanted to say thanks for your sacrifice and your husbands sacrifice to serve our country!

Unknown said...

Aaaah love the finds! Especially the table. Check out my site to win some of my finds : )
http://luvsandlife.blogspot.com/

Laura said...

Always love a good bargain, thanks for sharing! It's almost my favorite time of year, GARAGE SALING season.

Anita said...

Vanessa--are you for real? I LOVE the coffee table. I seriously CANNOT spot a "diamond in the rough".

girlsmama said...

You never cease to amaze me!!

V and Co. said...

now if i can just get motivated to do my dressers...maybe with better weather!
lisa, i totally remember you! thanks for commenting! no stalkers here just friends that i havnt't met yet! :)
as for my favorite method of doing furniture like the ones i painted:
1. rough up the surface with a hand sander (will make paint stick better and not chip off)
2. find the color of paint you want(or two, with one underneath is always a real nice touch, but usually too much work for me so i don't do that)
3. i usually buy "flat" paint because when i sand the edges it comes off the way i want it.
4. sand the places where most normal wear would be (edges and raised edges)
5. put a sealer on it (it can have a tint to it to make it darker or just clear works too)
6. i usually wipe off some of the sealer cause i don't want it so shiny. on white pieces i use a tinted one so it looks more worn.
hope this helps!

Fleming Family said...

Those are awesome pieces! Where here did you find them by the dumpster? I'll have to go check the spot out every once and a while! :) You see hidden potential when most of us see junk. That's a gift!

Team Clark said...

You have a great vision, I tell you! You're so talented! :)

The Willeyes said...

Vanessa-I want to be you when I grow up! Your house is darling. If you do a pillow or table runner in say reds, sages and yellows I would love to buy a couple:) Do you hire out to help other people decorate? I need someone with your good eye. Mel :)

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Wow. Again. Do you realize how talented you are? :)

Cannon Clan said...

so cute! i love your style!

Mindy said...

Such cute stuff!!! How come you're so good at getting things painted? I have so many things waiting... and waiting...

Jenny said...

I was seriously just telling some friends the other day how amazing you are - you are the queen of decorating on a shoestring. I think I could decorate if I had an unlimited budget, but being able to make inexpensive or secondhand stuff look like a million bucks is a serious talent!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin