Monday, April 5, 2010

vinyl on canvas : mini tutorial

first off hello! and THANK YOU for linking up soo many wonderful things! wow! come later this week (as i finish making my rounds) i'll showcase a few of your creations here on the blog.
second, the jedi robes.
so many of you asked where i got the pattern...they are modified versions of this pattern. maybe i can make a tutorial for the kid's version. we'll see.
so no, to the gal who asked if i "just winged them". you don't have to hate me. ;)
now lets talk about a little of what i've been working on, on top of the jedi robes. i love that at this stage in blogging i have sponsors that like to be... well my sponsors. (waving thank you and high five)
one major thing i try to do with my sponsors is look at their products and show you somethings that i personally would put in my house, on myself, or on my kids. another thing i like to do is link up to things i've bought from these sponsors. you can see my links at the bottom of my posts. basically i take the time to check out my sponsors and my sponsors are people i would buy stuff from and often do as well!
here is one thing that i saw from one of my sponsors janey mac that i had to have. now i think i've mentioned before: i'm not a huge vinyl on the walls girl. not that there's anything wrong with others having it on their walls...but for me having it on my walls is too permanent. and when you change things around all the time...permanent can be a little bit on the bad side.


before i got this vinyl i asked lynnette (the owner) if it would work on canvas. she said "yeah!" so i said "i want it!"
i wanted a sort of "work of art" so here's what i did:

*i took a 24 by 36 artist stretch canvas ( it took me two weeks to get one because i didn't know anyone going up to where a joann's was for that long...and you want to get it there because they are 40% off at the moment!)

*then i took watered down acrylic paint (in a light blue found at the craft section in walmart) and did a light wash over the whole canvas. let it dry.

* next i spray painted the canvas with that ivy leaf green i use all the time from walmart. (love that color.) you could still see the brush strokes i did of the watered down color underneath (but not the color so much)

*then i took the vinyl and used the picture as my guide as to where to place my flowers. following the general guidelines that she includes in her instructions on how to "install" you vinyl properly. i modified them a little by "scratching" the paper that's over the vinyl so that it stuck onto the canvas before i pulled it off. (the picture above is of me doing the scratching before i pull it off)

*gently pull off the top paper leaving the vinyl behind.
and that's it.

and just in case you want to make a work of art of your own: lynnette of janey mac is offering a 15% discount off your purchase if you mention V and Co. in the notes. they will refund you your discount through paypal.

my work of art now hangs in my living room...which i didn't get a picture of because this weekend we were too busy with G.C., easter-ing it up with egg hunting, egg war-ing, eating, and laughing with friends.
we had a wonderful weekend.

best one in a long time.
hope you had a wonderful weekend too.
i'll add a picture later on when the light is right in my living room.

edited: here it is in my living room. i love how just one thing of art can change the dynamics of a the room.
we'll talk soon.


v and co loves her sponsors and welcomes newbie resweater. her blog has awesome ideas on upcycling wool and sweaters!
and psst check out the furniture here!
comments closed

48 comments:

Jessica Marie said...

This is soooooooooooo cute!

Bargains for Mummy said...

wow love it....but still a beginner here so theres no way i could do anything remotely close enough...wow..

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

very cute... and i just happen to have a bunch of canvas and a few stretcher bars!

Kelly O. said...

ooh! I really like this idea! we too have a "permanance issue" and this might be just the thing to change that.
I've wanted to get the vinyl wall art in scripture verses but have been afraid to put it on my walls...
you have changed that!

ClassiclyAmber said...

It looks so cute!! I really like it. Thanks for sharing the tut, too! I am also a person who really loves a lot of the designs I've seen for wall vinyls, but have never been able to see myself actually using them. This is a great alternative!

http://classiclyamber.com/blog/

Angela said...

Cute! Great idea!

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

I like your new layout.
This is a great idea. I have to get canvas for my oil painting classes, when I actually get to go back to school:). Joann's is so much cheaper than getting them at Weber. I want to do a "Family Rules" canvas in the hallway, so maybe I will have to do one of these when I ever get to finish our bedroom.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

That looks great. Vinyl letters also work great for the current trend subway art.

I could really use something like that for my living room. Mayhaps I will stop by!

House of Smiths said...

SO pretty! I love it!
Shelley

holly | bijou lovely said...

it looks great! I'm not a vinyl on the walls kind of person either but this is a good solution.

amylouwhosews said...

I think we had this vinyl conversation. But what a GREAT fix! I love it so much. I may just go buy some. I have a canvas I was going to modge podge some fabric shapes on, but this could be even EASIER. Can't wait to see the pic of it on the wall.

Like the new blog layout! Is it still blogger? looks good.

Emily said...

I love it! I'm not a vinyl on the walls girl either. Great solution. :) Glad you had a great weekend!

Unknown said...

I looove this idea! I am totally going to have to whip something up :)

♥CMonster
www.bythemonsterandme.com

Dogwood said...

Love, love what you have done! The colors are wonderful and so Happy looking.

Thanks for the website of old sweaters. Fabulous. Bye-bye...I am going back to check it out more!

Enjoy your day...

Jen O said...

I feel the same way about vinyl...too much of a commitment to have it on my walls. FYI if you haven't seen it already, I got my American Patchwork and Quilting magazine last week, and there's a picture of you on the Moda Bake Shop page (page 7 to be exact). Way to go!

Devon said...

i really like the finished product!
i actually just purchased the green spraypaint for my son's easter basket! it is an awesome color!

Faund Images said...

OK...so I love how your jedi robes turned out! I'll bet a lot of exciting jedi wars are goin' on now! Your piece of artwork is awesome as well. MaKell was so glad to finally meet you this past weekend. She thinks you're a doll. Go figure?! :o)

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

So Hip!! Where will this be hung?

TLF said...

I [adore] this!!

homemade by jill said...

That looks really pretty! I actually put up some vinyl in Oscar's nursery (one of the few places I like it on the wall) in New York, and soon after we made an emergency move to CA. It was a real bummer. If I decide to use it again, I'll definitely go the canvas route!

Lindsay Thomas said...

I love this a lot! I will definitely do this someday.

Polka Dot Moon said...

My walls won't allow for any kind of vinyl rub on and this is a fabulous alternative! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

Thanks for sharing :)
Denise

Barb said...

That is sooooo wonderful and clever of you!

Melly said...

That is a wonderful idea, thanks for sharing. PLEASE bring back the picture of the shoes, I dream of those shoes, pleeeeaaase.

Kim Walus said...

Extremely Creative! I LOVE it! Thanks for the great tutorial.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That turned out so pretty! Thanks for sharing the details, I'll be linking.

M said...

Such a great idea! I'm not big on putting vinyl on my walls either so this idea is perfect. Happy I found your blog!

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Lovely! I agree about putting vinyl on the walls. I have it on the glass of frames, and other things... just not the walls. This is great!

Blessings!
-Sarah

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

And not a "blue bird" in sight. I didn't know a craftie could be made now days w/ out adding a bird!! :) Cute!

Kersten said...

I LOVE the new blog layout! Much cleaner and organized. Plus it loads much faster.

Love the vinyl tut also. It looks great!

Taylor said...

that is really beautiful. I wonder if I could paint white vinyl to make all the shades of pink without buying all different colors. I bet I can. I may have to do a small sample and try this!

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

This is too amazing, I just love it!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia Crafts
Meet Virginia's Etsy Shop

dana said...

Great idea. Looks gorgeous in your room!

Kristin said...

I love when people do the link-up's with the small pictures! It's easier to tell which sites you want to click onto, so THANKS!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!

Frugal Home Designs said...

I love that. So beautiful. I love the color combination.

kanishk said...

i just happen to have a bunch of canvas and a few stretcher bars!
home jobs without registration

Unknown said...

That is beautiful. Love the colors!!!

Delia said...

I LOVE this. Beautiful. I am linking to you on my blog. thank you!

deliacreates.blogspot.com

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Dang, now I need to make one of those. EXACTLY the same way you did.

I adore that shade of green.

Sonia said...

I love this idea. I'm with you on the vinyl on the wall is kind of "permanent". Love the idea, just won't have it in my house either. This idea is fabulous. . . . I'm just wondering (because I'm so NOT artistic) why did you paint underneath the spray paint? for a texture, different color?

ebutcher1223 said...

Love the idea, have been wanting to do something like this in deep cobalt and midnight blues... I LOVE your door, I have a table that I am refinishing, and I want to finish it something like your door, but it dark chocolate. How did you go about doing this? (p.s.: I am new to crafting and garage sales. my apartment complex is boasting with found objects, many of which end up in my apartment. any tips on spraypaint and the likes are greatly appreciated ;)

Anonymous said...

I love this and I am thinking about how I can use your idea and make something for my toddler's room. I will post it when I am done on http://takingterribleoutoftoddler.blogspot.com/ When I have the time that is :) I will add you as a link...and give you credit for the idea :)

Kristina said...

I. LOVE that! Love it love it love it!

ificould said...

Soooo beautiful! I love how it coordinates with your pillow. Stunning! Thanks for sharing!
Missy

Dee said...

I am new to your blog and I love this idea. Now I know that I can do vinyl on canvas.

Amanda said...

Love it!

Quick word of caution: I bought one of those cheap vinyl sets from Target and put it on a painted canvas--it fell off that night, stuck all over itself and was ruined! So, maybe it won't work with lamo Target vinyls...too bad! Probably won't stop me though and I'll modge podge on top of it instead. :)

Eileen said...

Oh, yay! I kept seeing the vinyl designs on etsy and wondered if I could put them on canvas! I didn't want to put it directly on my wall, either. Thank you for the info and tutorial!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin