Friday, April 16, 2010

not so shining moment


so i mentioned yesterday that we were going to be at the derby races.
we won.
um, like the whole thing.
our 8 year old placed 1st overall.
the 10 year old took 2nd in his den.
we did not handle it well.
we meaning the mister and i.

let me set up the story with our experience last year:

last year the husband had just gotten home from afghanistan. shortly after getting home we had the derby races to go to.
he was super busy being places and doing things out of state that he couldn't pay attention to the car till the day before the races.

we lost every single race.
not one was won.
my husband was crushed.
the then 9 year old was in tears.
we had the talk that every parent has with their kid when their kid feels bad about being the last one picked or coming in last. "they are all just stupid and next year we'll show them" "it doesn't matter if you win one or all or none...what matters is that we tried, we learned, we'll do it again."

and so we did. we learned what would make a car fast. like putting all the weight in the back. making it close to the ground. getting the judges drunk.

yet we were still confident that we would once again lose every race, and we would have to have the "we gave it our best" talk again... times 2.

now fast forward one year later:

husband to the kids: "okay so what are we going to do when dad's your cars lose?
kids already been prepped with the answer: "tell the winners good job and do NOT cry."
(husband mouths the response with the kids and convinces himself to do just the same)

husband: "that's right. and what happens if we lose every race?"
kids already been prepped with the answer: "we go get ice cream! and NOT cry."
husband: "RIGHT! ready to do this thing?!"
kids: "YEAH!"

and so the night began just like last years. the weighing in... the anticipation.
the husband turns to me and says "my hearts racing. this is so stupid. why am i so nervous?"
and the races began.
the eight year old's car won the first race.
we were so proud we won one. but we were pretty sure that we had probably gone up against the poor first years parents(like ourselves last year) who never had to do this sort of thing before, and we passed it off as luck.
but it kept winning. and our smiles slowly turned to gaping wide open mouths stuck there to catch bugs.
then the 10 year old's heat started...he went against the kid who ALWAYS wins every single year(dad's an engineer who creates his own pattens for the car industry). we gave it a run for it's money...and came in a really close second every time.
we looked at each other (the husband and i) and we smiled and turned back to the race.

long story short. by the end of it we got cocky. and i even may have trashed talked a 9 year old competitor and he in return said "oh is that your car? that's a nice car." i felt a little bad about trash talking after he was so nice. that 9 year old may have also been the husband's boss's kid.

our kids? they took the race well. they smiled and received their awards with grace.
my husband and i on the other hand were dancing around like fools with big ol grins on our face.

moral of the story....we're kind of competitive.
good thing everyone around us knows us enough to know we're not normally winners (in most things)...so they were sort of forgiving of our social awkwardness.




v and co loves her sponsors! i'm pinching pennies to get this from janey mac!

34 comments:

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

oh i love this story!! i just wish i had been there to see it happen!

sharon said...

that is hilarious:)
i showed my boys the pics of the cars and now they cant wait to be in scouts!
my husband also was in Afghanistan last year - he is in the military, i am wondering if your husband is in the military also? anyway it sucks when they are gone but makes things extra special when the whole family is together doesnt it:)

Thimbleanna said...

Hahaha -- that's too funny! Congratulations to ALL your little boys!!!

christy said...

As a first year Derby mom I was LOL! :) My first grader came in 3rd out of 3 kids for his den, over all he also lost every race in the pack. He was so disappointed he was in tears. Dad a former Scout didn't use graphite, oops. :) We are ready for our come back next year!

V and Co. said...

well as a comeback family i say next year is your year! ;)

elise said...

hYSTERICal!
oh man, i'm sure you were a sight to behold:O)
congrats! soak it up :O)

Sandy said...

We had a pinewood derby race for a family reunion last summer...I was not a good winner...but in my defense, I don't win anything - ever - and stink at all sporting events, games, etc...

sharon said...

Wow it is a small world! My husband was only there 9 mo and that was long enough - tell your husband thanks cause the active duty guys are stretched so thin! He flies helicopters and loves what he does but after Iraq and Afghanistan it's hard being apart so I don't know if we will stay in, we have a year or two to decide anyway...I'm working on the quilt I am making with the fabric I bought from you, fun:)

Tasha said...

This is hilarious. Love it. I am glad you won! Congrats :)

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Cracking up V - Congrats to the boys....and to you and Jake too!hehe Jenn

Audrie said...

Haha! I'd like to think I'm above trash talking a 9 yo kid if my children won everything but that's probably a lie. No one could blame you... a big congrats to you all!

Taylor said...

I love that you admit feeling bad after the 9 year old took your trash talking so nice, too funny. Sweet kid. My *cough*dads*cough* car took first place in my derby race oh so many years ago. Came .08 seconds away from the world record so I actually got to race again to see if we could beat it, we didn't. Got the same exact time. Can't wait to build our kid's, I mean to see our kids build their cars!

Missy said...

LOL!!! Too funny. My oldest is an unofficial cub scout (my hubby is a den leader) and he lost every race I believe, we even bought a kit.
Congrats on your wins. So glad to hear you had a great night, with ice cream to no less.

Jess said...

I just found your blog and will be following through google reader!

Greg said...

Your story brought back memories o my first derby. I can still see my car, it was as slow as a lead turd going uphill against the wind. But my 2nd and 3rd years were kick ass! I placed 2nd and 1st overall!! If your boys want some tips for next year shoot me an email, but for now my childhood is calling. Off to the hobby store to build a new derby car!!!

Connie said...

Wow! It is so funny what can happen at those races! One year when my son had his very first race, I was a single mom with NO TOOLS! Not one, Literally! I used a kitchen knife and a fork to score and dig out the bottom to put in the weights. IT was pitiful! Not painted! And...as GOd would have it, we won! It was insane!! It was priceless! It was amazing that a single mom without one tool used her creativity and helped her son to build a pinewood derby car and win the race. God sure does know how to do amazing things!! You just made me smile and of course cry thinking about it. I have to go call my 21 yo son now...

Katelyn said...

It is not very often that I actually "LOL" while reading a blog, but I did for this post. You described it so well! Congratulations on the big win :)

amy smart said...

Lol. I love it. Only two more years 'til I have scouts. I'm going to keep your designs in mind.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

HAHA! Yeah I pretty much loved that story. Oh don't derby races bring out the best in us. We are several years away, but I am a little scared. They looked pretty sweet so kudos to the kiddos/dad for making two sweet rides.

Wendy said...

Thank you so much for sharing this truly inspiring story! :) I'm so happy to know there is another person like myself in this world... but, heck, you can't help doing the happy dance once in a while!

Deb Robertson Writes said...

Haha love the pep-talk bit! we do them too, all the time :)

Christi Williams said...

Okay, we have just done the derby like you. (Oh I hate this every year.) I have twin 10 year old boys, so that two cars to do.

Husband is so busy and it comes down to days before the race. My boys work hard sanding the block of wood, so it looks like kind of like a car. And with spray paint in hand, they spray their cars. Hubby melts some lead to weight the cars down, (also melting the wheels a little) oh it's okay, it won't matter. Long story short, yea we lost every race! The boys came home so mad. They had given out paper awards for everyone (you know the kind, made up ones) I think one said "For the car that looked most like a bumble bee." It was painful to say the least. By the way your son's (husband's) car looks great!! :-) PS keep that car for next year!

Kathy - mom of many said...

That's a funny story. They should probably hold a separate race for the dads only. I hope none of the other families read your blog, lol.

felicia said...

This had my laughing out loud. My son did his first pinewood derby this year and somehow I ended up building it with him instead of his dad. When he decided he wanted a tank I cringed and tried to talk him out of it knowing it would never win. His dad got annoyed that I let him make the tank (it is the boys' project right?). I think dad was sad that his "legacy" as a former derby champ would not be carried on. As predicted it did not win any of the races. But he did win for design and being that I am a designer that made me super happy! And my son was just happy to get a trophy, he didn't care if it was for winning the race or for design. To him a trophy is a trophy!

Sandy said...

That is one sharp car being held by one happy boy!! How exciting. Hubby and I used to be very loud and excited at things like this for our kids....now we embarrass the grandkids!!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. I had to read it to my husband...which is laughing too. We really like the conversation between your husband and the boys. Loved the "we are NOT going to cry" We have had that conversation many times with our own son (he is 8).

elle said...

BAHAHA. That is awesome! In situations like that, I always remind my kids to "Do what I say, not what i do" and i'm running around doing kermit arms. And I totally understand the running around last minute post deployment stuff. My husband has been deployed 3 times, and once when our son was born. All hectic.

Annalia said...

We lost every time when my oldest was in Cub Scouts, but we'll get another chance in a year! Woo-hoo!

Jenn said...

that is so hilarious! I'm alreayd getting excited to have my boys doing derbys. And, don't feel too stupid, cause I know I'd do exactly the same thing, only people might not know that I'm not always like that. I seem to always be having socially awkward moments....oh well.

Monica said...

I love that you trash talked a kid! So funny!

Lorie said...

I love it! And I am mad at your PACK for not having a dummy car!! One of the den leaders in our pack makes a car every year that is AWFUL! Does everything wrong. That way his car comes in last and everyone gets to beat SOMEONE!

Although ice cream is a good consolation prize!

Fleurette said...

Had a good laugh, well done guys.

BJ_Mama said...

HAHAHAHA! We would do the same thing!

Derby Monkey said...

Thats a great story. The Pinewood Derby has become a very competitive event around the country and many times the parents are more into it than the kids. Some parents have become Pinewood Derby fanatics... I know because I am one. Keep up the good work.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin