Monday, April 19, 2010

tutorial: decorating a pot with jute

mother's day is right around the corner. and shortly after that the end of school.
wouldn't a pot filled with flowers be the perfect (and easy!) gift to give to the mother's and teachers in your life?
a plain pot will do just fine...but one with a little more character would be better.
ready? it's really simple. here we go:
what you'll need:
one clay pot
gardening jute (found in your gardening section in home depot or walmart.)
hot glue gun with glue ready to go.
first start with a glob of glue right under the lip of your clay pot.
this is your starting point.
put the end of your jute onto the glue.
now you are going to go around making a thin line with your hot glue around the base of your lip of the clay pot. (not too long of a line because you don't want it to cool)
drag your jute on top of the hot glue. press down a little. just don't burn yourself!
once you get around the whole pot, you will continue just slightly under the first row.
just like so.
continue till you get the look you want.

want another option?
what about polka dots.
yup make em like this:

take a dab of hot glue
place the end of your jute on the dab of hot glue.
twine around your start. just like the picture above.
all the while adding a tiny bit of glue to the outer side...
continue to twine around.
till you get the size you want. cut off the end and dab a tiny bit of glue to keep your end down. make as many polka dots you want.

these pots bring a little bit of spring to your decor. i've been having fun placing them all over my house.
so much, that i really don't want to give them away for mother's day or to the kid's teachers...so off to the garden section i go to buy some MORE so i can keep mine!
v and co loves her sponsors! AH i have these and they are totally on sale right now at burgundy buttons!
comments closed

34 comments:

Carrie said...

This tutorial is great. Just what I have been looking for. I just need to go and get some pots. Thanks

QuiltNut Creations said...

love them! great idea for teacher gifts

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Very cute and easy project.

Love it.

hugs
Sissie

sharon said...

great idea - i love the pics of your sons holding them - some of my favorite photos are of my sons picking and bringing me flowers:)

Emily said...

What a cute idea! I love the polka dots.

Lora said...

So cute... love the idea.

Lindsey said...

cute idea! i have all those supplies right now, just need to buy the flowers. Thanks! :)

Chelsea said...

Cute! I can't wait to try this!

Kari Sweeten said...

What a fun, easy way to spice up a regular pot!

rachel griffith said...

look at you and your mad jute skills.
:P

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

Ok, you've convinced me: I need more jute in my life. :)

Anonymous said...

A fun and easy project for anyone who wants cute pots! Love the polka dots and also the trio of pots you created.

I always burn a finger or two when using a glue gun.... so call me grace. LOL

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Anonymous said...

Great idea;)

Bonnie said...

Cute idea! Love you, V! Stop by my blog and see the cutest video of Hazie today and wish Jen a Happy Birthday!

Terri said...

What a fun project! :) Thanks for the instructions - it looks like a great way to dress up a plain pot!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Those pots are so cute and what fun to make!! Thanks for sharing your idea. Love & blessings from NC!

Delia said...

So simple but makes a world of difference! LOve it!

Rachel said...

Awesome! They look great.

Buttons are nice decorations for clay pots too. But you have to use a plastic pot inside because as soon as you water the plant, the glue is loosened. I learned that the hard way...

Anonymous said...

These turned out so cute! Love the idea of making polka dots!

Shippymolkfred said...

What a great idea!
Greetings from Scotland
Shippy

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Fun idea, they're so pretty! Thanks so much for sharing, I'll be linking.

Unknown said...

Love these! We would love for you to link them up to our Bring Spring Linky party over at Scraps N' Strings!

Liz said...

Hey, I am thinking... mother's day craft idea for my class. Can I borrow your cute idea?

Liz

Shellee said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pots...especially with the spring flowers inside them! Awesome job!

Deanna said...

OH HOW CUTE!!! I love this! I'll do this for my mom for mother's day and also for K-man's teachers for teacher appreciation week! Thanks for posting this. I jumped over from Kimba's blog.

Paulette said...

Neat idea! What a great way to spruce up a terra cotta pot!

Kristen said...

I just the pots for this! What a great idea!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

This is a very earthy looking project! Great combination.

Kimberly Tripp said...

great idea! i have tons of terra cotta pots begging to be prettier

Carla said...

This is perfect for many occasions! Thanks :o)

Elizabeth said...

What a great idea. I am heading to the store to get some pots and more twine!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I love these! I am featuring them at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Peter said...

stylish. I wonder how your garden looks now.

Sildenafil Citrate said...

I really love when my mother decorate all pots, I think this amazing idea is going to charm on her. I really believe that.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin