Thursday, December 4, 2008

before and after:: the fireplace (and a confession)

well you guys guessed it alright! another thing i didn't love about this house was the fireplace. very 1970's...
also in sort of an awkward place (the kitchen) but that's where everything happens in our house so i guess it's in a good place (trying to look at the positive here!)
so i painted the fireplace (what a pain in the rump to get all the nooks and crannies), and then i painted the wall behind the mantel the same color as my wall behind my buffet. which is also the same color for my WHOLE KITCHEN now (yeah i changed the buttery tan color, it just didn't go as well). love this color though!
it's still not my dream fireplace, but it's an improvement... baby steps! baby steps!!!
oh and here's the big stinkin confession news:
wait for it...
it's been 7 whole dog gone weeks since i've purposely drank Diet Dr pepper with caffeine in it! ( i say purposely because there has been two times since the 7 weeks that i "accidentally" had a fully loaded diet dr pepper. unbeknownst to me the person gave me one with caffeine not the caffeine free so i can not and WILL not be held accountable for that)...and the even more awesome news is that i try not to drink the caffeine free stuff either! only for special occasions. ha! i kicked the trash out of that habit! my mom would be so proud if she only knew that i still had the problem!
sad to say i'm not as funny as i used to be without my drinks, and i don't know how to have a good time without it, i'm sort of boring these days, i go to bed early, and wear a house coat... but at least i'm drink free baby! i'm no longer a caffeineholic! whoot! whoot!

24 comments:

Aubrey said...

WOW!!!! That looks so good!! I love your stockings, too--did you make them? What a cute, simple idea. It makes me feel bad that I'd rather have something like those than the elaborate ones my mom's been cross-stitching for us, slowly, for the last six years. I guess if we'd stop having babies, she'd be able to catch up. ;)

Trixi said...

Good for you and the caffeine thing!!!
Ok, now I have a couple of questions on the fireplace thing, as I have a similar problem. I love how you actually address these probs. and don't just talk about them. I tend to do the latter. Anyway, do you actually use the wood stove? We did 2 and I hated the smoke smell. Is the wall next to the fireplace white? I love the color above the fireplace. The whole thing looks beautiful.

sherri said...

It looks beautiful! What a difference a little (well, maybe a lot) of paint can make. Love the wall color and the collection of stockings too.

V and Co. said...

aubrey,i just got the stockings and put a letter on them with the stuff i use for applique, mrs, trixi, yes, we use the wood burning and i HATE it, because of the ashes and for the burning smell too, but we need it seeing that our winters are sometimes bitter cold around here (sometimes below 0 and add the wind chill brrrr!) it helps with the electric bill, as for the wall being white, i'm working on the kitchen in incriments, so that wall will be that tan as well, someday, but not today! :)
i've been known to "talk" about projects in the past but this year was my new years resolution was to do less talking and do more doing!

amyandco said...

seriously, i wish i had even half of your ambition! Your house is looking like pictures from a magazine :)

Mindy said...

I LOVE it. When I saw your teaser a few posts back, I'll admit... I was skeptical. Whenever I look at your decor, I think that we have the exact same taste in decorating. You just know how to pull it off, and I don't.

Congratulations on kicking the Dr. P habit! :)

Marie said...

Way to go V!

Nash said...

jealous!
and you must have read the ensign this month.
good for you.

rachel griffith said...

oh yayyy.
it looks great.
hi-5!!!

lisa said...

I have to say that usually when I see people paint over brick or wood it makes me cringe, but for the first time I totally agree with painting it. And it looks great. You did a really good job, and I’m sure that it took tons of work.

SLO Rober said...

The whole ensemble is so beautiful!Please come decorate my house! I have beautiful wood kitchen cabinets and built-in flanking my fireplace, but they throw me. I don't know how to decorate around them. Not to mention the fire place lacking a mantle and no idea how to add one.

girlsmama said...

So when are you going to hire yourself out? Can I be your first client? :)

Congrats on kicking the DDP. I'm proud of you!

I love you and miss you!

Laura said...

Love the fireplace!

Jeni said...

I knew it! I like the white! Beautiful...enjoy!

Colleen said...

It looks amazing!!!

Sally said...

I love you! Good job on kickin the caffeine out of your system. The fireplace looks awesome!

TaraB said...

Nice job on the fireplace!! LOVE THE STOCKINGS.
Just wondering if you are wearing slippers with that house coat too...:)

Team Clark said...

Looks incredible!

Christina said...

your fireplace redo is fantastic. It is amazing what a little paint can do. I also love the window.

V and Co. said...

hahaha...no slippers but i do have a set of furry socks i got for my birthday that i sport around, but usually still with the same flip flops!

Cannon Clan said...

love the new colors and i love the cute stockings what a fun idea.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the fireplace transformation & really like your mantel-scape! Mine is in limbo recovering from Christmas & unfinished projects.

Congrats on the DP drop-kick! I am a DP drinker & am alos kicking the habbit (for the 3rd time. Two whole days down! :)

Becki said...

wow, that is gorgeous!! I may steal your window idea. Becki

Suz said...

Love it! I'm always thinking of ways to redo things too... should be posting about them, but all too often I don't.

I've always been afraid to paint brick, esp when it's not the old orange brick.. but looks great. I can't paint the old brick in my house. We have an old chimney that runs through the center of the house that we uncovered so we could see the brick...it's one of the neat old character things of the home.
Good job!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin