Monday, December 14, 2009

winning tutorial: the snow ruffle pillow

hello! no, i haven't forgotten what i said the other day about giving something away for your time. i've decided to give a few things away, and i'll be picking later today i promise! but for now check this out:
a lot of you knew my project the minute it showed up.
i guess many of you, and others a like, liked it pretty well because it won this round over at sytyc!!! THANK YOU. :)

this tutorial will give you the basics on how to create your "snow" ruffle.
here are the steps i used to create my ruffles.

first cut strips that will be your ruffles. for this project i used flannel.
cut them at 1 inch width and the width of the fabric (usually 42 to 46 inches)
then cut them in half.
you will end up with two strips at 21 to 23 inches each by 1 inch.
next with your sewing machine set to a running stitch (largest stitch, mine is a 5)
sew all the way down and make sure you leave some thread at the ends.
take the end strings and lightly pull ONE thread , this will gather your fabric. if you pull too quickly or tug too hard on it, it might break the thread.
you should end up with your fabric looking like this.
do this to as many ruffled flowers you would like to have.
next to create the ruffled flower, start by taking one end and wrapping around it like so.
next you are going to hand sew your flower. with a needle you will go through from one side to the other, and back again. like the picture shown above. once you secure a few layers together, wind some more fabric around and continue the process of sewing through and securing a few layers at a time. your flower should stay formed once you are done winding all the fabric around, finish off your flower by tying a knot.
once your flower has been formed, you will want to secure it to your pillow top. this can be any size you desire. mine was roughly 14 by 10 inches for the small one and 15 by 15 inches for the large square one.
to secure your ruffled flower i started in the middle of each flower and hand sewed each one of them on, in the desired spot i wanted.
this is the picture of the larger pillow top. if you'd like to you could always secure it even more by hot glue-ing your already hand sewn on ruffles (i have three boys can you tell i have had somethings destroyed if i don't re-enforce things?)
once you have the design done and sewn on your pillow top. cut out the same size and shape for the back.
with right sides together, sew all four sides using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, leaving a hole at the bottom of your pillow.
pull inside out, stuff with poly fill and hand stitch closed.
here's what i did to create the "snow drift" if you will. make a wave and add a few extra flowers where the arrows are.
and there you have it!
comments closed

42 comments:

Tanya said...

I'm so happy you won. I love this pillow!!

Kristi said...

This project is gorgeous (I knew it had to be you!) :)

Elizabeth S. said...

I love this pillow! It is gorgeous and I just might give it a try myself.

crystalmarie said...

Hi Vanessa...
My son Elijah, and I just mailed some boxtops to your kids elementary school. Hope they help! I am a total spaz about your blog, thank you so much for being "normal" like me. Ha! I knew I couldn't be the only one :-)
Crystal

Elisabeth said...

You threw me for a minute by using a different model- tricky tricky!- but I think the scarf is yours. It's very pretty and I would have picked it anyway even if I didn't think it was yours. I like the little mitten stamps too.
Oh, and I know I probably won't win that pillow, but it rocks!

lesthook said...

Thyanks for the tutorial! That's awesome!

Design A-Peele said...

I LOVE this pillow. I can't wait to try it out!

Stephanie said...

So happy that your pillow won! I found your blog through the sytyc site and am so glad that I did! What fabric did you use for the pillow? Thanks also for the tutorial on how to spray paint the beads quickly. It's brilliant! :-)

Rachel Carlson said...

AWESOME. see, i told you were genius. cheers to you v!

trish said...

Congratulations!
Love the pillow!
Trish

Becky said...

Way to go Vanessa!

It is a very pretty pillow! I may attempt it later in purple!

Jboo said...

Wow -- that is so beautiful!

Janet

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

Very classy! You are so creative and talented! Thanks for the tutorial. I have been looking for a pillow for my couch. Think I found it!

Darin said...

I have WAY too many pillows around here (plus a couple more on my to do list. I think this one shot to the top though when I saw it. I'm headed over right now to SYTYC to see whats up this week. Thanks for all the inspiration!

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

that is a very beautiful pillow, Love it! thanks for the tutorial, Merry Christmas to you.

Kaye Prince said...

Ya, I knew it was yours too! And of course it's gorgeous!

ellsworth family said...

Awesome! Congrats on the win. Love the pillow. Can you overnight some of your crafty-creativeness to me? I could sure use some to finish up a few Christmas projects.

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love that pillow..so pretty!
sandy toe

Nicole @ the style hatch said...

Such a cute and unique pillow!

Nicole

www.sobeautifullyinspired.blogspot.com

www.ourcountrychic.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Love the pillow! I knew right away it was yours. And this week I think the scarf is yours...I really think I need one too. Someday I'm going to actually copy all of your cute things instead of just dreaming about them. :)

Janessa said...

Vanessa I am so happy for you! I thought for sure this pillow was yours! I love it and hope to make one for my house soon! Merry Christmas!!

Marci said...

i knew it was you! so, so pretty and soft.

an encourager said...

lol. i am sitting here scrolling through your blog... sighing that i was too busy to enter that contest (roman holiday!!! darn!), and oooohing and ahhhhhing over this pillow!!! I am on my way to look at the tutorial, and am so thankful to learn to make this! thank you. merry christmas!

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

CONGRATS!

amylouwhosews said...

I loved this pillow! Knew it had to be yours and voted anyway - ;) hehee It's awesome!

Sorry I've been MIA. Hope to get back into things soon...

Sara said...

Beautiful pillow!

So happy that your tutorial won!

Catherine said...

That pillow is just gorgeous. Definitely on my to do list!

Rene' said...

Beautiful pillow. Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

TJ and Whitnee said...

I can't get enough of your tutorials! They are all so creative and great! I'd like to share a link to this tutorial on sewwhattoday.blogspot.com on January 20! Love this!

Nobody Puts Mama In A Corner! said...

Om MY! How cute is that pillow!!! I love it in white! Perfect creation! Wonderful tutorial! Coming back to hang my hat for awhile! Ta Ta for now!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I have got to try and make this pillow. I just posted on my blog a pillow that I am currently working on and it needs something.
Now I know what. Thanks for showing us how.
I love it.

Shirley said...

I'm going to try this. It's so pretty. Winter always makes me want to sit on the couch and sew!!

Rachel said...

Oh my, I'm a complete sucker for ruffles. I HAVE to make that!!!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to letcha know I loved your idea and I linked to this post in my blog!
http://justeventeux.blogspot.com/

SandyQuilts said...

oh how cute. I know my 3 GD's will love the pillow. thanks.

Melissa Haws said...

oh, wow, I love this! I hope you don't mind I linked a post about this on my blog! I am going to sew this...NOW. so cute.

Anonymous said...

Hi Vanessa,
I just wanted to let you know I have linked to this project and thumbnail and a few of your other projects on our site. I think they're great projects that our readers will love to make! We are always looking for more tutorials and sewing patterns, so if you have any similar projects please feel free to send them my way or let me know if you prefer we not link to you. Thanks!

Karisa
ktell@primecp.com
Editor, www.AllFreeSewing.com

Pink Princess said...

Hi, just passing by and say THANKS for the tute of this adorable pillow! I have just linked to this tute:)

Sildenafil said...

I really like this ruffle pillow, there is nothing better than having a good sleep at night, and I have to admit this is so wonderful to have one at home.

Artisan Jewelry by RondaJane said...

OMG - This is so stinkin' cute! I have to make it! and I think I have to make more than one : )

Anonymous said...

Superb tutorial, lovely pillow !!!

Dominique @ Craft Couture said...

I love this tutorial, I'm going to try and make them for my couch :). I love all of your tutorials, very cute things! thank you!

dominiquescraftcouture.blogspot.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin