Monday, December 7, 2009

tutorial: that lime green necklace

i keep getting comments and emails over this necklace and weather or not i was going to show you how i did it. okay well it's not that complicated i think you can figure out that i strung wooden beads. so this tutorial will be for how i got an even coat over my beads with spray paint.
*i used a styrofoam half sphere (in the flower section in the craft store, or walmart.)
*i then got tooth picks.
*because the holes in the beads were wider than the tooth picks i put a little piece of tin foil at the tips of the toothpicks.
*i also used my left over spraypaint "ivy leaf" by krylon. (IN.LOVE.WITH.THAT.COLOR)

*i placed the styrofoam inside a box ( it's too cold to do it out in the back yard, and now i either have to do it indoors or in the garage).
*i then LIGHTLY sprayed the beads. let them sit for a little (like 5 minutes) and then repeated.
*let them dry completely
then i flipped them over and did the same step as i did on the other side.
let them dry, flip them over AGAIN, repeat steps till you get it completely covered with paint and you are happy with it.
i did 3 "flips" because i wanted the paint to be really solid. no wood showing through.

i love the combo of brown and lime green so i chose brown ribbon for the necklace.
i made sure i had enough ribbon at my "ends" that it would be easy to tie my necklace around my neck.
* then i made a knot.
i then stranded my beads. i wanted a few off centered big beads so i placed them accordingly.
tie off your other end and make sure you put Fray Check on your ends of your ribbon so the ribbon stays intact.
and there you have it.
;)
comments closed

34 comments:

Rachel Carlson said...

it's lovely! i've been wanting one of these in aqua. all things will have to wait, sadly i don't even have funds to buy beads - UGH. happy holidays to you! warm hugs, rachel

happy zombie said...

Oh you KNOW I'm thinking of saying something unrelated to your darling necklace... because your boobs are staring me in the face and I can't concentrate.

PS... I'm so in on the postcard for Kyle's class!

Petit Elefant said...

Saweeeet. Thank you.

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

Simple, creative and so adorable. I'm gonna have to make one :)

Alayne said...

I am totally making one for myself for Christmas! And one for my sister, and one for my niece, and one for my friend......

What size beads did you use?

Patricia said...

THANK YOU for this tutorial!
I so love the color and so wanted to know how to make it!
Blessings!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I love that necklace. I love making jewelry but have never tried painting beads before. HOw fun!

XOXO
Jen

Michelle said...

Great necklace...thanks for the tutorial!

girlsmama said...

While your boobs are cute, I was totally waiting for the necklace tutorial. You're right, I could have figured it out, but it's so nice to not have too. And now I can get that cool color. Thanks!

Faund Images said...

Hey, it turned out great! So much fun!

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm totally dying here! You live in LOA?!! I had no idea. I've been reading your blog "forever" and never picked up on this little fact. We are just over the mountain in Richfield. SMALL world! Fun to know that you are from nowheresville just like us, lol.
Now I'm even more inspired by your craftiness. I always thing *we have NO good craft stores, so I can't be that good at crafting*...but you are proving that wrong!

WooHOO! Go Wayne!

Free Art Printables said...

Very cute!

Janessa said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your way of spray painting the beads was way better than what I was coming up with in my head. And I love that color paint too! I even have a can of it at home waiting for another project. Might just have to squeeze this in now!

steffany said...

This is adorable, Thanks for sharing the painting techniques.

Valerie said...

Fabulous! I am filing this away at thecraftersfilebox.com. Thanks for sharing!

dana said...

Hooray! Loved this. I was actually curious how you painted them too. Brilliant!

Sharla said...

Thanks for sharing, I love this!

dana said...

btw, you inspired me with your green. That's the color I used for my wreath! I love it now too....though the turquoise might still be my favorite.

Angela Yosten said...

G-E-N-I-O-U-S!!!! I have some wood beads and ribbon that I just might have to use them just for this. Thanks!

Anna said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm definitely going to make one for my sister-in-law, my mom, me, my daughter... the list goes on!

I don't even like to wear jewelry usually, but this is perfect, kid proof!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea - my daughters would LOVE this.

Thank you for sharing.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wonderful technique! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

Dogwood said...

Darling and thanks for the tutorial. I love the colors.

Becky said...

Awesome!

AND I just saw that running gingerbread dude here in NC. What a great project!

Maggie said...

Oh Vanessa, I just love your brilliant way of painting the beads!!! This is such a pretty pretty necklace...I want one!!!!

Journeying Five said...

lovely! positively lovely!

Erin said...

i LOVE this necklace! i, too, adore the 'ivy leaf' color. so pretty!

SouthernDogwoods said...

This is beautiful! I will definitley have to try this in red! Hey, why stop at red, I should make one in every color!!!

Kersten said...

Excellent! Love it.

Ann-Marie said...

So cute! I would never think to put the three large beads off-center like that, but it's adorable! Thanks for the tutorial. I might have to make some of these for birthday gifts in the coming year.

Carolyn said...

Thank You for your inspiration!!!! Love it love it love it!

Sildenafil said...

It looks very nice wearing on a lady, this lime green necklace are stupendous, also it fits on this madame very good.

The Beading Gem said...

Thanks for sharing this tutorial. It's very well done! I will link in a future blog post so others can come and see it.

Pearl
http://www.beadinggem.com

Ashley Pichea said...

So cute and so easy! I love the look of chunky beaded necklaces... will definitely have to make a run to the craft store for this one!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin