Monday, March 15, 2010

tutorial: appliqueing with used dryer sheets

i'm not a big time holiday or season decorator. what i have up is what i have up all year round, usually. except for a little something here and there.
well here's a tutorial to add a little something springish to your home.
oh and i'm going to show you how you can use old dryer sheets to make it happen.


what you will need.
scraps of fabric (i used one of my opened charm packs of kate spain's Verna line for moda. love that line!)
a metal hoop. or a wood one will be just fine as well.
dryer sheet that's been used already in your dryer.
so your dryer sheet right as it comes out of the dryer is probably really wrinkled.
take your iron to it. but make sure you get a dish towel in between your dryer sheet and your iron. i'm not sure if it would melt it if you did it straight on, but i didn't want to learn that lesson.

next you are going to want to draw your egg on a piece of paper.
i didn't do a pdf on this thinking that an egg is kind of easy to draw. but if enough of you complain that you need a pdf drawing of the egg i'll load it up and make a link. if not then lets move on.

with a sharpie i traced my drawn egg onto my ironed dryer sheet.
originally i was going to do a small egg and a big one, but i changed my mind so please ignore the big egg in these two pictures. pretend it's not there. like the man behind the curtain.

next you are going to take your dryer sheet and place it on top of your fabric (right side facing UP.)
sew on your drawn on line.
cut out your egg and then slit a small area of the dryer sheet. preferably in the middle of your egg.
and use the slit to turn it inside out.
and this is what you should end up with.
next you are going to press your egg with an iron.
i made three eggs this same way.
next you are going to applique on your eggs.
but first you want to get some muslin into your hoop. ( i doubled mine over so it would be thicker)
to applique, you will start with the middle egg.
come up from the back as close as you can to the edge of the egg. and then come up through the very side of the egg.
next you are going to go down directly underneath of where you came up through your egg.
and you are going to do so around your whole egg.
make sure you sew right at the edge of your fold, this will make your stitches invisible.
once you've appliqued all three eggs on there. cut off the excess muslin. (i tried it cutting the muslin before i appliqued and the muslin got loose in the hoop and made it harder to re- tighten it afterward)
uh that last egg looks like it had a few issues. mainly for the fact that i had a squiggly 3 year old on my lap wanting to help. well, it adds character. and my daughter got to help.

and now it rests in my hallway shelf. except that after taking this picture i think i'll move it to the other side so there's a little more color on that side.

i need to get out more.
and speaking of "its almost spring, even though it's still snowing outside where i live"...
i made katie a new dress. for spring.
it's sleeveless.
so she will have to wear a sweater till the snow finally decides to give us a break. so like june or something like that.

hmmm okay well HAPPY MONDAY.
come wednesday we will have another guest tutorial blogger. EXCITING!
we'll talk soon!


v and co loves her sponsors! check out this adorable monkey at terrace hill!
comments closed

46 comments:

Meghan said...

That's awesome! I'm definitely adding this appliqué technique to my to-try list! Thanks for the tutorial!

Katherine said...

love that shelf. the new addition to it looks great!

Nuts To You! said...

Thank you for posting this! I could not figure out how to do anything but raw edge applique because I didn't know how to get the edges so neat! I didn't know how people could possibly fold them over so evenly without bunching:)
Shawna

Lisa said...

Great tutorial. Thanks!

Tammy @ she wears flowers said...

What a great idea to use a dryer sheet! I always use muslin or waste some fabric--this is so much better! I love your great ideas!

murah said...

this is great tutorial, thanks for sharing.

Anne said...

Brilliant!! I've always used some sort of unwanted, throwaway fabric, but the dryer sheets look to be a much better idea!

I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-applique-with-used-dryer-sheets/2010/03/15/

--Anne

rachel griffith said...

adorable.
:)

hey...that hallway is looking good.
hi-5.

Karen said...

Terrific idea! Thanks! I had been saving mine but wasn't sure what I planned to use them for, now I know!!

Sweet Woodruff said...

I love to applique but I get burned out easily. I've tried every technique and nothing really makes it easier for me...I usually just go back to needle turn. I'm so going to try this. I think it's just what I need to keep the needle turn frustrations beat. Thanks so much for sharing this good idea.

Melissa said...

Holy moly that is brilliant. I adore trash to treasure projects!

Katie Lewis said...

This is adorable! And I love that little dress. :)

Needled Mom said...

Very cute eggs. I love using the dryer sheets for applique. It almost makes me want to do more laundry!!!

holly | bijou lovely said...

Great idea! Very festive for spring but still subtle. I love your hallway decor!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

looks much cuter than you described!! love it. oh and when can i fly you to philly to makeover my space??? ;-)

Cheryl said...

great tutorial on the applique. I have never seen it done with the dryer sheets. Loving being able to use what I already have. LOL, you know we already spend waaay tooo much money to feed our fabric addictions. (smile)

Disney said...

May I come and live in your beautiful house?? You are such an incredible decorator!! And I love the spring dress! That fabric is too cute :o)

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Well aren't you the most clever person every???

happy zombie said...

Awesome toot! You're so green and crafty - you're like the recyclops, but with two eyes. And you don't work at Dunder Mifflen. And you don't blow up things. Do you wear a cape when you craft? You really should if you don't.

Anonymous said...

Love the dress - what is the fabric? Did you use a patter? Super cute!

Kersten said...

Waaa! I want a PDF! jk :)
Love this tutorial, genius! And the dress is adorable.

SLO Rober said...

I love it. Those eggs look great. I love simple decor ideas.

Tricia said...

So cute. I had no idea that was possible.

Katie's new dress is adorable. Fingers crossed for some Spring here soon. ;)

Becky said...

For years I have wondered what I could do with dryer sheets besides tossing them. (And you think YOU need to get out more!?) What a great idea! Thanks.

I love Katie's dress!

Anonymous said...

Please tell us more about the dress. Darling!

Katie

Anonymous said...

Umm, What is a dryer sheet?

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Thank you, I think I could do that, well maybe, The dress is just darling!!!

dotti white said...

V...love the tutorial. I wanted to give you a tip about dryer sheets and irons. If you've ever used iron on fusible web or anything that "dirties" up your iron, dryer sheets are the BEST!!! I don't remember where I heard it but what you do is get the iron hot, then turn it off, use a new dryer sheet to carefully clean your iron. Carefully, because you don't want to get burned! It really shines it up nice and you have a clean iron that will not leave anything "icky" on your beautiful fabric or clothes! Have an awesome week!

Anonymous said...

Who would of thunk, a dryer sheet! Maybe even I could handle that....we'll see...

Pamela

Snuglewmn@aol.com

MegJill said...

Dryer sheets? Really?! Who ever figured that one out was a genius. I can't imagine even thinking of using them!
And the new dress is adorable. LOVE the green. My girls closets are spilling with dresses, but now I really want to make a green one.
Question. I have been trying to find where you put a link to the camera you use and I can't find it! Can you guide me? I want a new camera REAL bad, and need to test the waters and see which ones are the best.
Thanks!
MegJill
he4rken@yahoo.com

Carole said...

that dress is darling...

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

REally cool idea!!!

trish said...

So cute and clever!
Katie will look precious in her new dress, it is so pretty. :o)
Sincerely ~ Trish

dana said...

cute little green dress! I just made Lucy something green too! :)

Terri said...

Love the dress, and thank you for the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Love this, just wanted to let you know about another great use for dryer sheets ... when you get a goober on your iron from fusible interfacing, you can wad up a dryer sheet & rub it on your hot iron and it wipes it clean quick & easy. ;)

Thanks for a great site.
Donna in IL

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

Too stinking cute! Thanks for the awesome idea!!

Taylor said...

What a great idea! I assume it would work for circles too? I'm going to bookmark this for future reference.

Delia said...

So pretty. Simple and small but it makes a big statement. You are endlessly creative! Sheesh...what can't you think up? I love that you reused trash.

Denise :) said...

What a snazzy idea! I am so *doing* this! Thank you! :)

Molly {Eeny Meeny & Moe} said...

Jeez that is SO resourceful! What a great idea!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

I used a dryer sheet as a stitching template for reverse applique on a sweatshirt, but this is even better - thanks! (here's my reverse applique http://croqzine.com/?p=561)

Julia said...

I’ve seen it snow here in JUNE! This time of year I always feel a since of despair as if it’s never going to end. Where is spring? It’s getting harder and harder to find the beauty in the fluffy white stuff. Crack is Whack... Snow is Old! And there you have it. I also think its past my bedtime.

ikeandella said...

I'm going to be linking this on my blog www.ikeandella.blogspot.com for our Trashy Thursdays! Great idea!

Jenn said...

I love love the sweet eggs !! and the display shelf! I might have to make them!! I will shout you out if I do!!!

Jenn~

Anonymous said...

I used to save those dryer sheets to dust with (which they are great for, btw.) NOW-I'll be saving them for applique! Thanks for the great tutorial-I'm awed!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin