Friday, March 12, 2010

guest tutorial blogger: Disney of ruffles and stuff

i'm excited to introduce this weeks guest blogger Disney of the ever popular blog Ruffles and Stuff. it all started when she left me a comment a couple of months ago and i instantly thought "wait either this person really likes disneyland stuff or could she really be named disney?" so then i clicked over to her profile and WOW, was i happy i did! talk about ruffle-ly and feminine goodness!!! the girl can take most anything and tweak it just enough to make it just right, or even better. so without further ado, let me give the time over to the woman herself:
Hello everyone!!
I'm Disney, from Ruffles and Stuff!
Thank you so much for welcoming me here today! I have to admit that I feel incredibly honored to be guest posting for Vanessa. I don't have to tell you how completely and intimidatingly amazing she is. I put her on such a crafty pedestal!
I'm so excited to share a little bit of my creative world with you today!
This project is a little something I stole from our dear friends over at Potter Barn. I love their "Natural Easter Basket", but even if I could afford it, it's no longer available! So, I made my own for about $4!
First step: Grab a basket. If you're like me, you've got tons of these lying around (I have a basket problem....), but if you don't, check your local thrift store and you'll find tons! After you've found the perfect one, give it a coat of green spray paint, inside and out:
  • Then you'll need spanish moss, and some "berry bushes". I got both at the Dollar Tree!
  • Grab your glue gun, and attach a light layer of spanish moss to your basket, including the handle. (Glue well!)
  • Once your basket is covered, spray a light coat of the same green paint over all the moss. I love it if a little of the natural moss color shows here and there, it's so natural looking!
  • Take your berry bushes (I used 1 green bush, and 1 white), and cut them into small sections with craft scissors.
  • Then glue them to your basket with your glue gun, about 1.5-2 inches apart, alternating the green and white. Don't forget the handle!
  • Fill in the gaps with single berries from your bushes. (It will go faster than you think!)
And you're all done!
And you know, I think I ended up liking the version I made even better than the PB one :o)
It's grown-up enough for big-people....
And still cute enough for the little ones!
This was scandalously quick and easy, and it feels good to have a handmade Easter Basket for my little punkin this year! Sure beats the neon-pink, plastic ones ;o)
Thanks so much for having me Vanessa!
And thank you all for hanging out with me today!
Take care!!
-Disney :o)


HA! you all know how i feel about pottery barn! so this project was perfect! thank you so much disney for taking the time and talent and bringing it over here for the day! make sure to go check out disney and all her fabulous ideas!

i'll see you monday with an easter inspired tutorial as well!
have a great weekend!
we'll talk soon ;)


v and co loves her sponsors! currently i'm swooning over this line over at the fat quarter shop!
comments closed

30 comments:

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Disney, where does your creativity end? It doesn't!!! Awesomely cute!

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

two of my favorite bloggers...on one page! yay!

Denise :) said...

That is *so* cute! Love it! :)

Trudy said...

That is the prettiest Easter basket I have every seen.

Tanya said...

very very cute!!

Gay Vaughan said...

Love, love, love this! I like things that inspire everyone to craft...not intimidate. This is beautiful.
~Gay~
itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

Almost Always said...

this was worth the extra click :)
super cute!
i think this would make a beautiful centerpiece for my back porch table setting at Easter brunch!
thanks for sharing!
xo

Anne Sutton said...

I saw these in the catalog and loved them. Now,it I only had time to make one. Then I'd have to stage the photo, and buy ANOTHER bunny, and well, I give up. Maybe next year! Love your blog!

Cami said...

Disney, it is fun to see you here. Great idea! Thanks for the tutorial :)

Gigi's Thimble said...

Oh, that's genius and easy and beautiful. You can't get much better than that. Thanks for sharing and giving me a new blog to add to my bloglist!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I'm featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com today!

Kersten said...

Very lovely basket!!

Holy dang V, you sure did get a lot of comments! I comment right in the 1200 range and was amazed. Then to see that you still got over 100 more...super FANtabulous! Way to go girl!!!

Reyna Meinhardt said...

I love your basket! It is so cute! And I do like it better than the Pottery Barn one! Thinking I have to make one for my 8 year old cousin..and then one for me as well ;)

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

my daughter is getting married this summer, what a cute flower girl basket, Thank you!!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Oh, this is awesome! PB who?
Great job, and pictures too!

Lacie @ Creative Attempts said...

Disney already knows I am obsessed with everything she does so imagine my excitment to find her here woot woot.

Becky said...

Super cute! Thanks for sharing. I was gonna ask how you got that bunny to sit so still.........then, I looked again. doh!

Sarah said...

Cool and easy! Love it!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Since my little ones are pretty big ones, now, this is perfect! I do have plenty of baskets to transform-I, too, have a basket problem!
~Nancy

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Ah, that is so cute and so easy to do. Thanks for the wonderful turtorial. I'm going over to visit her blog right now.

hugs
Sissie

Anna said...

so cool. and yes, way better than the pottery barn one.

dana said...

So darling Disney.
I know I've said a thousand times....but I will never get sick of seeing pictures of your ADORABLE daughter. I want to give her a little squeeze!

vivi said...

thanks v for inviting this amazing lady!! I love the tutorial, and her blog too
love and kisses

Dogwood said...

What an absolutely precious decorated basket. Thanks to your guest for the wonderful tutorial. Cute little model in the photos.

Lisa Renata said...

great ideas, great work and great photos as ALWAYS. You inspire...me!!!!

=)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, that is super cute! Thanks so much to both of you, I'll be linking.

Paige said...

I am making a grapevine wreath for my front door using that same technique. The paint is drying as I type.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for dollar tree- love that store. This basket is beautiful... I want to make one for my little girlies. BTW...your little one is absolutely adorable.

Gabriela said...

Hello,

This basket is fabulous.
Love the simple feeling of it!


~ Gabriela ~

Sildenafil said...

I really like this Easter basket, it is one of the best tradition that we can give to all and teach in order not to lose it at all.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin