Monday, March 22, 2010

guest tutorial blogger: Dana of MADE

well this gal doesn't really need an introduction.
but i'll do one anyways.
it was last "end of summer" i think, when i contacted dana because i became obsessed with her shirt dress refashion. she inspired me to make katie's skirt dress refashion. and well, since then, we've had countless of emails back and forth (sometimes at 2 and 3 in the morning) been on the phone a few times, have competed (and i lost to) on SYTYC, and yes, (she already said it on her blog), have planned on going to a couple of conferences this year together.
she's amazing at refashion, and well pretty much anything she thinks up! not only that but her pictures are always something to look at. but i probably don't need to tell you that, 'cause you probably already know that for yourself. so i'll just shut up now and give the time over to dana!


Hello fellow V and Co-ers! (if that's we call ourselves?),
It's Dana from the site MADE. I'm happy to be Guesting on Vanessa's blog today! Something I love about Vanessa is her ability to make a home feel so inviting. All the pictures of her home make me want to step inside, have a bite to eat, and just hang out for a while (of course she'd be telling me some hilarious story while I lounged on her new leather couch).

So with that in mind, I thought a home decor project was the perfect thing to share. And since Easter is only TWO weeks away (what? How did that sneak up on us??)......
and if you're planning an Easter morning Brunch,
Don't forget the PEEPS!
Nothing says Easter like a bunch of colorful bunnies.
And since buntings are festive any time of the year, I took a spin on the traditional flag look and mimicked a childhood favorite in our family.....Marshmallow Peeps.
Pick your favorite Peeps color (or make up your own!) Find a similar FELT color at your local craft store.
And let's get bunting!

Skill Level: Any
Needed:
* 1/2 yard or less of felt (doesn't need to be anything fancy)
* brown fabric paint
* pencil (or other round object)
* ribbon/fabric for bunting
* sewing machine

First, cut out your pattern. I've created one here for you. If you don't have a printer, just put a piece of paper up to your computer screen and trace the image right on top!
or.....

You can copy the Bunny Bunting Pattern TWO ways:
1. Click on the image below to enlarge. Then "save as" to you computer. Open it in a Word doc and insert the picture so you can adjust the size for your needs.

2. Grab the PDF pic by clicking HERE.

Okay, with your bunny pattern printed and cut out (I usually print on paper and then trace/cut an additional pattern out of cardstock or from a file folder. MUCH easier to trace around a stiffer bunny over and over again).

Fold your felt in half (because each bunny is a double-layer). You can make them single layered if you want the cheap/easy way. But it's less polished looking and a bit see-through. So I recommend double-layers.
Then trace and cut out as many bunnies as you'd like. The pink bunting has 18 bunnies. The small yellow bunting has 9:
Time to decorate their faces. You'll only be decorating the front bunnies (the back bunnies are left plain). You'll need a pencil eraser or something round. And brown fabric paint. I prefer Tulip brand, Matte, Chocolate. Its cheap, $1.50 at most craft stores.
Dip your pencil eraser in the paint, and dab it right onto each bunny. The beauty of Peeps is that they're far from perfect. If you look at a box, each face is slightly different. So don't worry about being precise or even symmetrical!
Make sure you place a piece of paper under your bunny because paint may seep through to the back.
Starting to see a resemblance......?
Let your bunnies dry for a hour or longer. If you're antsy, you can speed up the process by drying them with a blow dryer, but be careful that they don't fly all over the place!

While you're waiting for the faces to dry, prep your bunting ribbon. You can use fabric, ribbon, rope, colorful twine (THIS stuff is totally cute). My favorite method for making "ribbon" is to cut strips of fabric (I used double-layered white muslin in this case), sew the strips together to make a very long strip, and then I serge the edges. Perfect for wrapping gifts and in this case, for making a bunting. Each finished "ribbon" is about 100 inches long but that was much longer than needed.
Time to sew on your bunnies.
If you want the quick and easy way, grab a bunny back and a bunny front and sew that double-layered bunny to your ribbon and keep on going till you're bunnied out.

But if you want the slightly longer method that I did (it only took a bit longer)...
I sewed each bunny back on to the ribbon while the faces were drying. Just lay one down and sew across the ears:
Then grab the next bunny back and repeat:
Sewing the backs on first makes the bunting a bit stronger, the bunnies are likely to be straighter, and it's more polished. And then you sew the Front Bunnies right on top.

Okay, okay...so I was just bored and couldn't wait to get started while those blasted faces were drying! Either method you use, your bunnies will look great.
Just sew all the way around and continue to the end.
and, you're done!
Enjoy your party!

For more ideas and Tutorials, please visit my blog MADE.
Thanks Vanessa. I love jumping into the V and Co. home!

well dana, you never disappoint that's for sure! thanks so much for being a part of my blog for the day and in showing us such an adorable bunting for easter!! yes please go check out her talent over at her blog!

we'll talk soon! ;)



hey check it! you can now buy fabric at V and Co's uptownjane!

71 comments:

Poulsen Family said...

oh my! So cute!

Rachel said...

How sweet! Love those little faces.

Anja said...

Really cute! And I definitely have to try your ribbon-idea.

Terry said...

This is so dang cute!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Every Easter my Mom would give me a packages of peeps. I actually like the taste of them!

Your project is so cute. I love it.

hugs
Sissie

andrea creates said...

Oh those bunnies are so cute!

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

That bunting makes me smile and made my day. The photos & styling are gorgeous.

Katie B said...

So stinking cute!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

so cute! but are tutorials supposed to make you hungry??

rachel griffith said...

adorable.

Amie Kirk said...

Pattern printed, can't wait to get started!!!

Kim L. said...

Oh my ...I am in love! xoxoxo so cute!

Kari Sweeten said...

LOVE THESE!

the queen bee said...

ADORABLE. Of course everything Dana does is adorable. So fun!

SewBella’s Quilt Cart said...

Too Cute !!!

Courtney @ Sweeter Than Cupcakes said...

I love this! I'm going to save the idea for next year since I'm trying to keep projects to a minimum while trying to sell my home.

venus said...

Adorable!

Kyla Armstrong said...

I adore Peeps! My kids have Peeps Easter baskets, so we definitely need this! Off to M&L for some felt.

Staci said...

Oh my goodness! These are the cutest things!! I live in a very small town, and I sincerely hope our local Wally-World has some felt and paint! Otherwise it will be 3 hours in the car this weekend!

Thanks for such a fun post! And a really great blog. I find so much inspiration here!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

way to cute!! Nothing says spring like peeps!!!

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

I almost choked on my frosted flakes when I saw this. Can they get any cuter? Thanks!

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

Some 'peeps' have all the fun!!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

oh my word... those are way too cute!

Thank you for the idea!

Anonymous said...

i actually cant stand actual peeps, BUT i totally love this idea! so so so cute!

Forever You said...

Vanessa!! Theses are amazingly cute!! Looks so nice hanging!

Mama Thompson said...

I just LOVE peeps and I think those are so adorably cute...!

Bonnie Weeks said...

Those are awesome!

Anna said...

this is just so awesome I almost feel sick!!! hehe :) LOVE IT!

Shorty said...

I sooo love me some Peeps! Thanks for this wonderful tutorial and the inspiration. Too cute!

Dana said...

Too cute, will have to make. Love your blog and Dana's Blog as well. Thank you for hosting her tutorial.

Dana

Michele {Button Garden} said...

These are adorable! I love them!

Carol said...

I love Peeps! Even more now! That is sooo cute! You're pretty clever Dana!

carriebells said...

These are gorgeous! I just cut out my peep pattern, now I have to wait until my son wakes up from his nap to get started....the agony of waiting....Thank you so much for a wonderful tutorial=)

homemade by jill said...

super cute, dana! (what a shocker)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is beyond cute, I love it! Thanks so much to both of you. I'll be linking.

Jesslyn said...

Super cute!! Peeps are my hubby's favorite!

Terri said...

Very cute! And I love peeps, but I would never have thought to do them as a bunting!

Becky said...

Oh Help! I want some of those sugar poofs right now! And the bunting/banners are too cute for words!

Theresa said...

thank you for this.. very cute. i want to try it. =)

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Ha ha ha! SOOOOOoo cute! I love it!

Sandy said...

That is SO cute!

Delia said...

Dana and Vanessa. I bow before your amazing-ness. :)

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

This is too stinking cute I am totally making this!

~Morgan

http://meetvirginiaandroo.blogspot.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MeetVirginiaShop

Anne said...

GET. OUT. That is SO cute!!! I just linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-make-a-garland-of-felt-peeps-bunnies/2010/03/22/

--Anne

Whitney @ Whisker Graphics said...

Could Peeps be any cuter? I don't think so!

The photographs are stunning! How DO you do it? Well done!

Thanks for the link to Divine Twine. :)
Whitney:)

Anonymous said...

this is the cutest thing in the world

Laurel said...

Darling! I am starting now!

Carole said...

When I first glanced at this I thought you has strung real peeps together...Not wearing my glasses mixed with wishful thinking. I really love these...and I will be making some today.

berg4 said...

So very cute!

ellsworth family said...

Perect, LOVE IT!

Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

Okay, you had to hear me laughing at the last comment on this post! You just had to.

Unknown said...

AMAZING idea & great tutorial. It was just what I needed in my house so I made it yesterday - Here's a link to my pic of it on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/naida/4460197038/in/photostream/

Very Shannon said...

Guess whose tute is in the link luv roundup today? you betcha! love it! so adorable!!!
http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2010/03/link-luv-roundup_24.html

teresa said...

Love it! If only I knew how to use my sewing machine.. :)

Sweet Little Smoothie said...

Oh my gosh this is the cutest bunting I have ever seen!! I LOVE it - totally on my weekend project list! Thanks for sharing ur genius idea!!

A Sign of the Times said...

This is tooooo cute! My husband LOVES peeps. I always tease him about it so I'm going to whip these up for sure. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to feature this on my blog.
I hope you'll come over and visit!

mmtncrfts.blogspot.com
mmtncrfts.etsy.com

Beansieleigh said...

ADORABLE!!! Will definitely have to try this cute little garland! Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial! ~tina

Unknown said...

I just might have to give these a try, so cute!

I'm thinking I might wait to paint the faces after all the sewing is done though. Then it can dry when I put it up anyway. (I'm like you, I'd be too impatient to watch them dry.)

PerfectlyHappy said...

wow! This was the first craft that I acutally did using a blog tutorial!! I loved it! Super easy and oh so cute! thanks so much for sharing. :)

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

OMGosh! Being a Gran, I think I have died and gone to heaven with your site. Piecefully sent me over when I commented on her peep banner on her blog! I am going to make these. Your tutorial is so clear that I know I can do it. I thank you, my grand children thank you!!!!

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Opps! I miss spoke - It was Quiltmamas that had a peep banner on her blog and she is the one who sent me over to your blog. I am sorry, please excuse the ring. Happy Easter!!!

ReminisceHeirlooms said...

So fabulous!

Mama Up! said...

This makes me excited for next Easter. What a totally sweet decoration idea - so much better than the cheap crap from the drug store. Plus, as vegetarians, we can't have Peeps (geletin in the marshmallows) so it's a way to have them around.

gunawan said...

thanks for the information, ii really helped me,
hopefully remain successful

Sildenafil said...

oh how wonderful bunnies they are, I cant believe this, but I have to admit this all they are so pretty and thanks for sharing details about how to prepare all this.

CNA Schools Connecticut said...

Wow…some of these are amazing, so simple, yet effective. Great examples! Really have to give it up to #14 though, personal fav.

sbobet said...

hi, that's so cute!, nice

bizandlegis said...

Super blog and nice writings

Thanks for all posts

Thanks in advance for coming posts...

Keep writing...............

By

Biz and Legis
Company Registration legal service providers

Awais Bond said...

Yeah! That's a great and unique info post for me. I was finding about it for many days. sildenafil citrate

Owatrol Paint Additive said...

Those are cute and artistic. It looks simple, so I probably set a session with my nieces and have it as as decoration for a party. Thanks for the idea.

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

Wanted to let you know I featured these on my blog in a collection of "Peeps" Ideas! So Cute!

http://www.ohmy-creative.com/home/decor-accents/marshmallow-goodness-a-collection-of-18-creative-peeps-ideas/

Blog Widget by LinkWithin