Monday, January 31, 2011

V and Co. how to: petit strawberry pin cusion


*ever go to a friends house and get confused as to which scissors/rotary cutter are yours?
*ever just need to pin some pins somewhere so you don't lose them till you can get to your big pin cusion?
well this little strawberry is just for you!
it's cute and functional, who doesn't love that?

materials needed:
1 square cut to 3" by 3"
1 rectangle cut to 2" by 4"
dmc floss, or thin ribbon.
hot glue
poly fill



*first you will need you pink or red square that is 3" by 3" and your green rectangle that is 2" by 4".*next fold in half your square corner to corner with right sides together and draw a half arch from the corner of your folded square to the inside fold of your square.
*cut at the arch.
*when you open your fabric it should look like the picture above.
*fold back in half, sew using a 1/4" seam allowance down the long open side of your folded fabric.
place two fingers (approx. 1") from the bottom point.
*make a line parallel to the open top.
*sew on your marked line.
*cut off excess tail.
*turn inside out.
*take a needle and thread and do a running stitch around the top of the

*fill with poly fill as much as you can. gently pull the thread to seal the poly fill inside. if you can stuff a little more while sealing, do so.
*tie a knot to secure your strawberry.
*next fold the rectangle in half length wise, with WRONG sides together.
*draw a few leaves like mine above. do 4 or 5 leaves.
*sew on top of your drawn line. this will be the bottom part of the leaf.

*cut a hole large enough to be able to thread your dmc floss through the hole.
*take a piece of dmc floss or thin ribbon and cut to approx. 9".
*thread both ends, (making a loop) into the hole you made in the middle of the leaf (making sure you thread just enough so you can hot glue it onto the underside of the leaf, and making sure that the drawn part will also be on the underpart of the leaf.)
*hot glue gun your ends to the underpart of the leaf.
*place a few more dots of hot glue on the leaf, and gently place, and firmly press in place on to the strawberries.

make one for all your cutting tools.
or make one for all your besties who sew.
enjoy a little hint of spring and always be able to pick out your cutting tools in a crowd.
we'll talk soon.
comments closed

30 comments:

Amy said...

Completely adorable! Thank you for sharing the 'how to'!

Amy said...

Super cute strawberry!
What is it about tiny things that gets me every time?
Oh, and I have those exact same bird scissors (a hand me down from my mom).

Danae said...

Adorable!

Sarah said...

love it!

Varga Györgyi said...

Cute idea! Love the colours.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Ummmm, you are cute. I wish I had a friend to sew along and possibly loose my rotary cutter. I am in a lone sewer in the forest of more sane people :).

rissa80@gmail.com
Just Another Day in Paradise

RaeLyn said...

I so need to make some of these...great idea! Thank you!

Christie describeHappy said...

Oh this is fantastic! Yes, I want to make a bunch of them now. Cute little gifties for valentines day too! Thank you!!

Alex Duenkel said...

Never thought of attaching them to my scissors or the rotatry cutter... What a fabulous idea!
Thanks for sharing!

Chef Mama Lori said...

SUPER cute! Thanks for sharing the how to!

chris said...

Adorable. I think I need one.

Ricki said...

What an adorable idea! I've made felt strawberries for my daughter to use in her play kitchen, but I never thought to use them for anything else. So cute!

Danielle Bartran said...

Great idea. Love this!

Rachel said...

This might just be my new go to Valentine's day present for the sewers in my life. Sweet.

Lina said...

it's adorable! thank you for tutorial!!!

Sewing Princess said...

so cute! you are a genius

Lisa said...

very sweet - I love tutorials like that, simple step by step. thanks

Cole's Corner said...

How cute! I love these!

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

So so cute!! Where do you find the time?? It totally reminds me of this!! http://www.traderscity.com/board/products-1/offers-to-sell-and-export-1/strawberry-shopping-bag-107310/

ContentEwe said...

Oh dear, that's cute! I love the idea of tieing it to your cutting tools.

SewLindaAnn said...

Sooo cute, thanks for sharing!

V and Co. said...

ooh love the idea of giving these out for valentines day to all sewing friends! good idea! thanks for the love guys!

Anonymous said...

I've made four of these today! Super cute and easy. Thanks!

Kendra said...

I'm off. I'll make one right now!

Anne said...

Soooo cute!!! I'm loving the polka dot fabric!

I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-petit-strawberry-pincushion/2011/02/03/

--Anne

Quilted Cupcake said...

Great idea - can't wait to try it. Who doesn't love strawberries?

Christie describeHappy said...

Thanks again for the tutorial!! I enjoyed making these and posted my results on my blog. I also linked back to you for my Sew-a-thon! Couldn't recommend them more!!

http://describehappy.blogspot.com/2011/02/you-can-sew-thon-strawberry-pin-cushion.html

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

what a cute idea...loveeeeeeeeeee it..thanks for the tutu

laurel said...

This is darling! And a great idea. We are featuring fabric crafts over at the M&T Spotlight this week and I would love for you to submit this (and any of your other awesome tutorials!) http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so cute! I'm going to make this for my shears. I'll be spreading the word as well!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin