Monday, January 10, 2011

in my studio

i always love when women call their sewing room their "studio". well i've never had a room to call a studio before now. so why the heck not call this thing i have just that?
i mean it's better than calling it what my husband calls it "the receptacle of crafting messes."
while the kids are away at school, i get to work, and work, and work, and work.
i really enjoy my little bit of time to myself. but i'm glad it's still just that: a little bit of time. at some point i'm going to have "LOTS of time" to myself...and well, i'm sure i'll be able to fill it with a lot of working...but for now, i'm enjoy my happy medium.
and anyways i don't think the dog, cat and i can handle any more away time from the kids. the animals come and hang out with me in my little studio as i sew and cut, and listen to music. i think they freak out with all the non noise going on while the kids are away as much as i do. we need a slow moving towards that goal i think.
okay back to the studio:



i love these containers from ikea. they make things so uniform and some day i'll actually put labels in the little slots... i need more of these. (mental note made for next time i go up there)

i use mason jars to keep all my "this and thats" in place. i love that they come in different sizes.

because i do most of my fabric shopping online, i have one of these color cards, and one of these color cards so i can tell for sure EXACTLY i need in the fabric dept.
and as much as i would love to say that these pictures depict what my whole "studio" looks like all the time, or heck what it looks like right now...that would be a complete and utter lie. as a matter of fact i should probably change it back from "studio" to "receptacle of crafting messes"...because lets be honest, i like to organize, but this room is always in utter chaos because i'm always in between like a bazillion projects, and when i'm in there i usually get more ideas that need to be drawn up before they leave my head so i leave whatever it is that i'm working on behind for a little bit, jot down whatever it is going on in there, then pick up another project i was working on before the first one. (after reading that last sentence it appears that i may need to look into ADD meds.)
there you have it. my receptacle of craft messes pretending to be a studio.

if you'll excuse me i'm off to use that little bit of time that i have till i have to go and get the littlest noisemaker from pre school and maybe at that point the dog and cat and i won't feel like we all need to hang out in the same small room together...it's a little bit of an adjustment but we're all doing okay i think.
happy week to all.
we'll talk soon.

30 comments:

Unknown said...

What a cool receptacle of crafting mess you have! I love it.

Enjoy your time, V.

Deanna said...

so fun!

What I want to know, is WHAT are you making all those yummy looking rosettes for? Huh? Huh? :)

Colette said...

It's perfectly o.k. to have a mess. That means your being creative and having some me time, which I know we all derseve. When my husband tells me my room is messy, I tell him his is not and it probably should be.(He has a wood shop).
So craft away and make messes!

Anonymous said...

I knew there was a good reason why I keep pretty Jars.
Our husbands think alike. :)

Amy said...

I want a studio!

Jennifer D said...

Sounds like you've got a great thing going. My son is 18 now and I have Loooong periods of silence now...so I got a dog!

Amy said...

Right now my sewing room, craftin area, studio, is most certainly a receptacle of crafting mess! I can hardly walk into it right now!

Kathy said...

SO GLAD you can't see my "receptacle of crafting mess" right now!!! We've been cleaning out closets and putting everything that doesn't currently have a "place" in my STUDIO. I'm almost afraid to step foot in there! It was a good excuse to buy some of those storage cubes I've been wanting for so long though. Now I just need to set aside time (and get the energy) to organize it.

Laree said...

I actually spent 2 full hours organizing my own "receptacle of crafting mess" on friday. Yes, TWO HOURS! It was that crazy after all the Christmas hubub.

And I doubt I would have gotten to it that fast if it wasn't also our guest room, and - you guessed it! we have company coming tomorrow.

But I LOVE having my own room to craft in!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Nice "studio" V. I'm sure the dog and cat are just in shock by all the quietness. You deserve it though!! And isn't it fabulous when you can just get up and close the door behind you and not have to look at it or put it away each time you have to make dinner? Jenn

Dawn Ludwig said...

I am organizing my own studio. My husband got me these great fabric organizer bolts, www.thefabricorganizer.com if interested.

What are those yellow things you are working on - it looks like a flower, very cute.

Keller TeenMOPS said...

My husband dubbed mine the "crafts and crap" room. Haha, fairly accurate!

From All Stitched Up said...

I have a very bad receptacle of craft messes. Last year I swore I would clean it up. This year I swear I will clean it up. Somehow I still enjoy spending time in there and starting lots of projects with all I find in there.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your special space. I love that I am not the only one who has furry company while i sew;)

moomi said...

we are renting and when we moved in here, my then 4 year old son told everyone that the room i used for crafting/dumping/computering/etc is called "mummy's workshop" and so it's stuck :) yours looks SO much neater than mine, lovely :)

Thimbleanna said...

I'm interested in your first sentence. Do you like it when they say their studio? It kind of makes me a little bit crazy. Not from you though. I LOVE everything YOU do LOL.

And btw, you NEED a New and Improved bella swatch card. They look like the ones shown here: http://thimbleanna.com/?p=1039
So many more colors!

Jess said...

For the Ikea containers in your 5th Pic, save yourself the $$ and go snag some (free) Medium Flat rate boxes from the Post Office. Assemble them, lay the Ikea one on top and trace around. Cut with an utility knife.

rachel griffith said...

i miss you.
that is all.

Tamara said...

i am always so inspired when i look at where people create. i myself do not sew...and in fact am not that crafty, however looking at those color cards and flowers(?) that you are making makes me want to be!

dana said...

ooo. what are you making?

Amanda said...

I love that "receptacle of craft messes". My husband will laugh when I tell him. Love your studio!
1a :-D

V and Co. said...

thanks guys! okay so i'm so going to make my own containers like jess suggested!thank you soo much! and yes i think i'm going to call it "receptacle of crafting messes" instead of studio. studio needs to be a large room (which mine is not) and it needs to be in a separate place from my home (which it is also not). i think that is what the definition of a studio is! and lets really just call a spade a spade shall we?!

Anonymous said...

i love your color choices in your work-

john in nc

Erika Mulvenna said...

I'm still trying to recover the mess in my receptacle of crafting messes from the holidays! And next time you need some crafting inspiration, click over to www.WeAllSew.com to find all kinds of free patterns, projects and turorials - guaranteed to keep you making messes!

Anonymous said...

We had a dog and cat that looked just like yours! Yes, I know "had" is sad :(

BBQGAL said...

I like how bright the place look! It's not a mess to me at all!

V and Co. said...

oh i know i'm scared of what it's going to do to our family when those pets aren't around!

Love Everyday said...

I love craft messiness! Your studio looks great, everything visible for creative juices to flow!! I just wanted to let you know that I wrote a tutorial on my blog and linked to your site and fabric flower ring tutorial! Check it out if you are interested.

www.christymeyer.blogspot.com

V and Co. said...

thanks for the link back christy!

C said...

So jealous of your studio space!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin