Monday, December 6, 2010

december 2010 christmas tree

this year the V and Co. clan continued the tradition i so begrudgingly didn't want to start last year and now i actually find kind of endearing. we as a fam went out and got us a christmas tree.
we trudged in the two feet snow. i thought i saw a perfect tree within the first couple of minutes of walking in the snow...but then we had to make sure...so we walked in a circle...only to come back 45 minutes later to the same first tree i thought was the perfect tree.
the husband was a little like:
"uh, hun...it's nice and all...but don't you think it's a little big?"
me: "nope, i don't think so."
husband:" okay, we may need to trim it some though."
me: "i think it'll be just fine, remember we have vaulted ceilings now."

he gave me the look of "okay whatever i'll do what you say and i'm sure this is going to go just like it always does where i have to fix the issue you just created because you think you know what you are talking about."

i gave him back the stare of "i know what you are thinking but this time it's going to be different."
so i back up to take a picture of our not so big christmas tree...


i turn around and woah...it does look kind of big and angry doesn't it...but i can't stop him now...and anyways isn't it better to cut it a little bit bigger than to cut it too small?
also notice the little tree that the little noise maker is holding. each of the kids got their own little tree they could put the ugly i mean wonderful past home and school made decorations. but i digress lets get back to my slightly large tree...
we drive it home. we get home. and i'm ready to take the tree inside right then and there. the husband is all:
"woah...hold on lets measure inside and see how much we need to take off first."
we measure and sure enough we need to take at least 3 feet off. so the husband has me help him measure the tree...but i got nervous with how much we were going to cut off...so when he told me to keep my hand to mark where we were going to cut the tree so he could get his saw...i took that opportunity to slightly move my hand down just a tad bit...i GOT NERVOUS OKAY?

we brought it in and he scratched his head "i don't get it."...and then slowly turned around...to me saying "huh, so i guess you figured in the base and then the need for a star too...that's why you needed to cut down that much..."
he sighed and mummbled something his breath that sounded a lot like "she's going to be the death of me..."
so, he got his saw back out...i got my lovely white lights and monochromatic decor out...
and our angry monster of a tree turned into a happy wonderful,
perfect 2010 christmas tree.
and i don't care what any of you think because it's beautiful in my eyes.
oh and the husband would like to know if any of you have any tricks to picking out a perfect christmas tree for future years to come...and no, not having me come is not an option.
comments closed

33 comments:

beth said...

every year I want a tree just like that and they are all too perfect - and shaped just like all the other ones - I love a tree with character! bravo - it looks great!

tini-uk said...

As long as I can remember the trees in my family have never been perfect. The best one was the one my mum chose, it was about 3m too tall. One year my father took out about 20cm between the top and middle and then put it back together. I figured that there is usually one side that looks good and the rest can be covered up with lights and decorations. I love imperfect trees, to me it is all part of Christmas.

Amy Menges said...

What a wonderful tree! Love your story.

lisa said...

I live vicariously through your tree excursions. I am highly allergic to evergreens so I have my nice little fake tree for years and years and years and it always looks the same....I love it but sometimes I want a tree that is not the same.

Brenda said...

Lovin the tree! Glad that you are finding the tradition more endearing as time goes on :)

Hey, did you use picnik to edit these photos too? I especially love the darkened, antique edges on the first two shots.

Meg said...

You know, we used to get a real tree every single year. My mother, brother and I would go up to my uncles farm, where he would have a previously measured tree all picked out for us (hey, there's a tip! know the measurements before you leave, and you won't need to chop as much at home).

So, we'd bring it home, bring it up our steep, narrow stairwell to our second story apartment. Put it in the base, spend 3 hours deciding which side is the wall side, and decorate it. Then sweep, vacuum, and sweep some more. Then when all was said and done, take down the decorations and throw it out the 2nd story window (my brother's favorite part), and sweep, vacuum, and sweep. Then vacuum again.

I love our fake tree, and the pine scented candle that makes it smell delicious in our house.

bethanndodd said...

I LOVE going to get our tree each year!

Tell you hubby that it's already the perfect tree because you picked it out as a family :) Ours has a big gap in the back this year so I just shoved that side up against our front window so you can't see it. The kids love it and noone else is the wiser!!! You can see ours on my blog (i don't have a pic of it decorated though)
littlethingsbybeth.blogspot.com

Amy said...

That is one big tree!!

trish said...

I love your tree! Just look how happy he is there with your sweet family!! :o)
Sincerely - Trish

the thrifty ba said...

love your tree!
ck out this about the national christmas tree tweeting! start watching at 3.09. my kids were hysterical by 3.45 and wetting MY bed at 4.10!
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/367133/december-02-2010/the-blitzkrieg-on-grinchitude---atheist-billboard---capitol-christmas-tree?xrs=share_fb

Rebecca said...

Last year, I took my measuring tape. As long as the top 6 feet looked okay, I was happy, since anything under that would be getting cut off.

Aimee said...

Ha ha ha. Love your story. We set out to cut our own tree this year, but the snow was too high and we couldn't get in far enough. We we ended up going to the lot we have gone for the last 3 year (this year makes 4). We we paid for the tag we are not going to use and for a tree. Oh ya.

Jewel said...

We always did i tthis way when I was a child. I promise in later years you and your children will be so happy that you have the memories. In the forest the trees aren't perfect... put the flat side to the wall and love it anyway :)

virginia Lindsay said...

Funny! I love your tree. We have similar discussions on our tree day and I AM ALWAYS RIGHT! All works out when the tree goes up and you sit back and see your work :). You have tons of snow! Looks beautiful,

Chelsea said...

that is a HUGE tree! Pretty though :) We can't go any higher than 6 feet so we bring a measuring tape...

Jen said...

So neat! The previous 3 years we went out into the National Forrest to cut our own tree down...But my hubby isn't as nice as yours. I'd find great trees and he'd tell me, " NOPE..too big." and it was the end of discussion. But I did realize he was right. Because even trees I finally found that he said were really big, but still said ok to, when we got home, they were HUGE! I came to realize that when a tree is out in the forest in the great big outdoors, they are MUCH LARGER when they are in a house...I don't care how big the house is! Yours is beautiful and I'm jealous. This year is the 1st year I sold out and bought a tree from the Home Depot Tree Lot.

DJ Rose said...

Just remember your basic trig and use a primative sight to figure out the height of the tree. (I remember doing it at 5th grade science camp, but of course I can't remember the formula. Something about angles and pathagorean's theorum, etc, etc.)

Elisabeth said...

That's a big freaking Christmas tree!! Have you ever read the kids book Mr Willoughby's Christmas Tree? If not, you should, you would relate a lot! Anyhoo, I want to see more pics of your new house! It looks great!

Maggie said...

Love it!! I think it looks great and the last line of your post is classic!!
XOXO,
Mags

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Love the tree. Who am I to criticize those that are too big and get chopped! It is quite "perky" now, right?

glen

Anna said...

haha, love the angry/happy faces.

Faund Images said...

HA! I looked for you when we were getting our tree but heard you all had the flu! YUCK! Glad you got better and were able to hunt down the biggest, scariest tree around these neck of the woods!!! You made my day with your tree faces... glad you're in my life to crack me up!

Zegi said...

Our tree is always too tall, too. This year we actually had to carve the sides of the trunk because the trunk was somehow too fat for our holder?! But a live one is the only way to go. Trials and tribulations make it more special.

Or so they say.

Anonymous said...

Artificial with a Fir Yankee Candle!

Marie said...

You crack me up! I still need your new address...

Christie describeHappy said...

Oh I enjoyed this! I laughed the whole time. It's looks great now!

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to know I'm not alone. Our tree cutting adventures usually end up in bickering and fighting somehow. In the end he's usually right as well! One of the years where the tree grew when we brought it inside, my husband cut the TOP of the tree off! My kiddos received an impromptu miniature tree which they were ecstatic about and I had a sawed off ugly tree that not even an angel could help! LOL!
This year, though, my husband and I went through a drill about all the things the tree must have, a small diameter trunk, one that looks too small, and one with soft needles (which reminds me of another story). We only looked at two trees and found the PERFECT tree! We still fought about how to hang the lights, though. Progress, not perfection...right?

Stacee Maree said...

I am an old pro at picking trees. I have done it every year since I was a kid. But unfortunatly this year's tree is fake. :( So sad. But the trick is. Know the height you want first, but for unvaulted ceilings, we always got a tree that was just more than a foot taller than me, (I'm 5'6") and was about as round as a pretend bubble that you are holding in your arms. Make sure it is good and full with no holes and no double trunks. Another trick to holding a star on the not so firm top branch, get a dowl and some wire and wire the baby to the top.
And don't forget the hot chocolate and donuts for the journey.

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

I think the tree is PERFECT! I think we need lots of house pictures to!! can't wait any longer!

Victoria said...

This is our first Christmas in our new house and we have vaulted ceilings as well so we thought "yay, our tree can be larger". Um yeah, our tree is way too big in our house and looks horrible. :)

Shey B said...

The perfect tree? FAKE and PRE LIT!! :)

xo

Amy M. said...

Vanessa--You always make me laugh. I love the faces on the tree. Almost as much I love your freak-out turtle!!!

-Amy
Crafting by Candlelight

amylouwhosews said...

love it! I love laughing when I read your posts! We don't even have a tree yet...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin