Saturday, February 6, 2010

will you help me help my friend?

kelly and i have been friends for a while.
since college actually.
two smart mouthed college girls.
we hit it off and stayed friends.
since then we've both moved away from our beloved california, have married equally if not more than ourselves smart mouthed men, and created little spawns that we love and adore to pieces.

last year she celebrated her birthday with a service project. i missed out on helping because i was a little too involved in celebrating the husband coming home from afghanistan.
i want to make up for not helping last year.
this year she's celebrating her birthday the same way
i emailed her and said i wanted to help. and i asked her how the best way to help her would be.
she asked me to ask my super awesome readers if they would be able to make some receiving blankets.
these are the requirements for the blankets:

receiving blanket guidelines:

  • fabrics: cotton flannel or lightweight fleece
  • size: two pieces of fabric, each between 36" square and 45" square
  • you may also use a medium weight fleece. it needs to be a single layer, 36" by 36" with the edges serged.
she also gives you instructions:

to make the blanket:

  • with right sides facing each other, sew the two pieces of fabric together with a ¼" seam around the edges. leave a 6" opening.
  • turn the blanket so the right side is out.
  • you may also serge two pieces together, no turning needed.
  • baste opening edges and topstitch around the entire blanket for durability.
  • sew a 10" square in the center to keep the fabric from shifting.
  • a narrow crocheted edge or piping border is acceptable but not required.
    she needs 20 more blankets. thanks she's got all she needs! you guys are awesome!



    i just made her two more.
    that means i'm asking 18 of you to help me make up the difference. thank you to all of you that stepped up and so many more of you that were willing!

    i'll give you something if you like for your help.
    i will give the 18 gals who make kelly a blanket a free V and Co. pattern. your choice.
    here's her email address.
    kellymccaleb@hotmail.com
    contact her, help her in making these kits for babies who need this.
    and i'll give you a little thank you pattern for your time and generosity.
    the ones that were able to help will you PLEASE send me an email saying that you are mailing her a blanket so i can give you a free pattern? thank you!!!

    so anyone want to help?
    who's with me?


    v and co loves her sponsors check out what's your virtue

33 comments:

Cheryl said...

V,
I would love to be able to make at least three for you. Email me please.
glory2him111@gmail.com

Sunny said...

What a fantastic idea! I am turning 40 this year and I think I will adopt this idea for my birthday too! I already have one of these blankets on hand and I'd love to send it her way!

Marla said...

I am a NICU nurse and we rely on generous gifts like these receiving blankets to brighten and cheer the lives of our patients and their families and to be honest the staff. Seeing a bit of color inside the Isolette or warmer bed gives a sense of comfort and home and makes everyone's mood a little brighter. So thanks to everyone involved in this project and in future ones too. Hugs, Marla

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

What an awesome friend and a great way to share her birthday! If I have some time later today maybe I'll make one of my self binding receiving blankets! :)

Colleen said...

What a great idea! I'd be happy to help. I'll get a blanket out to her this week.

Jennifer said...

Love it! I just sent her an email committing to one boy blanket. Thanks for letting us know!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

What a great project! I just sent off an email :)

Mrs. (not) the Jet Set said...

Just emailed Kelly about helping out with two of the blankets!

Thanks for sharing the info! I love helping with projects like these.

Julie said...

Vanessa
I just emailed kelly and commited to 2 blankets.
thanks for the notice
julie
fireflylanedesigns@yahoo.com
or cjhuntsman@yahoo.com

Tasha said...

You are friends with Kelly McCaleb? I love how small the world can be. Not that Kelly knows me. Although, I love her blog as well. But, my husband was there apartment manager when they lived at Cambridge Court. Funny. Life is great. I am going to go check out her birthday bash. I haven't stopped by her blog in a long time.

Adrienne said...

i need a project and this is perfect! count me in for one. i'll email her right away...

cnydalynn said...

I would love to do this... I will send her an e-mail.

aimee said...

I would love to do one. I love this idea. I just sent an e-mail off to her.

Crista said...

I'm in for one! What a great idea!
Just sent her an email.
I'm sending boxtops your way also this week.
Have a great weekend!

Trisha said...

I am in! I emailed Kelly and comitted to make 2 cute recieving blankets!

My life has been a little trying lately..and I forgot the best way to get pass trials is to "forget myself and go to work"! Thanks to you for posting a link! I believe that I will be celbrating my birthday in this manner from now on. Can you imagine the good that could be done if we all celebrated like this! I can honesly say this post has brought tears to my eyes!

Thank You!

michele said...

V--do you have enough yet? i will make one if you need more....just let me know. i lost count in the posts above me...i will pick up some fabric while i'm out today just in case!

Joyce said...

I would love to help. I will e-mail her right now.

Becky said...

Awesome! I can make a couple.

Cami said...

I am happy to make a couple too!

Renee said...

If you still need help, I'd be delighted to! What a good friend you are.

T@iy@ said...

I wish my sewing machine was working! I would love to send some.. Great idea for a birthday, though! Very sweet!

emily said...

i too just sent kelly an email ... it looks like you've maybe met your 18 quota ... but i'm willing if she needs more!
this is such a great idea ... i'm turning 34 this year ... maybe i'll contact my local NICU and see if i can't get some friends to make some blankets with me!
thanks for spreading the love!

Barb said...

Hi - I sent Kelly an enail yesterday that I would make four and she confirmed that - I will not be able to send until March when I return from FL. What a great project -
By the looks of things she is going to have plenty - how wonderful.s

V and Co. said...

thanks ladies! i think we've met out 18? i'm still waiting to hear from kelly! when i do i'll let everyone know! THANL YOU THANK YOU!!!

an encourager said...

hi... yes, i would love to make a receiving blanket. email the address i send it to at encouragingforyou@gmail.com. :)

Anonymous said...

Aw darn, I was too slow. :(
I've been making blankets all week and I would've loved to donate. Let me know if for some reason she turns up short.

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

What a great idea for a birthday! I am sending a baggie of box tops your way.

vivi said...

hi, V
internet is awesome, there are really loving people out there

there's someone you might want to see in the last post in my blog..

Becky said...

Wow!! Everyone was so fast! Yay team!!

I assume since I haven't heard back from Kelly that the goal was met before I e-mailed her? Still willing if there is a need!

emily said...

I just got an email back from Kelly and i'm sewing and sending this week ... I'm so glad I could help!!

Trisha said...

Hi! I got an address from Kelly and will be sending out the blanket today..thank you! I would love to learn how to make a Go Anywhere Bag! Thanks again!

Patty said...

What a wonderful way for her to celebrate her birthday. Maybe next time I'll read about it sooner and be able to help out. Or let me know if she needs more, I'd be happy to help..

Trisha said...

Dear V-
I tried to contact you by email, but my outlook is not working..soooo. In the spirit of this post, I will send my cute blanket out and instead of me getting a super duper cute pattern, how about you randomly pick someone from further down the list? Let's share the love so to speak! Thank you so much for the generous gift, but today in my life, frankly I need blessings! Thanks again for letting me be apart!
Trisha

Blog Widget by LinkWithin