Wednesday, February 24, 2010

tutorial: spray painted slipcovers...boy edition



it's my turn to be a part of celebrate the boy month! i'm excited to show a little of what i've been working on for that.
this year i decided to finally start tackling my boys' room. i knew i didn't want too much in their room for decoration, i believe a boy's room should be a little more on the plain side, but i wanted their room to represent them. and if there's anything that represents my boys, it's clone troopers.
but because i'm their mother and i like comical things i also bought this poster to go in their room as well. and because my husband has the same sense of humor i do, i constantly have to hear him say "that poster would sure look great in my office." i think i may get him one for father's day, or i may just have to come up with some other art for that wall and finally quiet him down by giving it to him. a woman can only take so much you know?
lets get on with the tutorial:

things you will need:
one pillow (mine is standard 16 by 16 inches)
one square cut to 16 by 16 inches (yes the same size as your pillow, i was told a long time ago that home interior decorators always make their pillow shams the same size if not a little smaller...reason is because then your pillow will fully fill the sham)
two rectangles cut to 16 by 10 inches (for the back)
freezer paper
**since i'm getting questions about where to find freezer paper i found these links:
i used Reynolds Freezer Paper
but then i found these as well:
Freezer Paper Sheets
Quilter's Freezer Paper Sheets
i like the roll because a) it's cheaper and b) i can make it as long as i want.
hope this helps!
scissors
spray paint (i used krylon gray and Caribbean blue)
first to create my "light saber fight" pillow (that's what i call it) i cut long pieces of freezer paper. some straight and some a little skiwhompis.
i then placed them on my muslin and with shiny side down and ironed them on.
i got my spray paint and did a first layer of paint. let it dry and repeated the process.
once your paint has had a little bit of time to dry go ahead and peel the freezer paper off.
now to make my circle pillow shown, i used a cup for the smaller circles and a bowl for the bigger circle.
then i free handed around each circle.
and i cut out my circles.
and once you've ironed on the circles. repeat the spray painting instructions.
*note for the circle pillow i just made it into a pillow and not a slip cover. so to make this pillow just cut out two of the same size rectangles and when finished spray painting, sew right sides together leaving an opening big enough to turn right side out, stuff and hand sew closed.
now to make your back of the slip cover. cut two pieces of muslin at 10 1/2 by 16 inches.


fold over about 1/4 inch in (on the 16 inch side). you can iron it down but i just "creased" it with my fingers.
and then fold over again
sew down your double fold.
now you are going to with right sides together place your first back piece on top of your front spray painted piece. (make sure the sewn edges are facing to the inside of your pillow)
next place the other back piece over lapping the first.
pin it down all layers
sew all four sides using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
cut off corners. turn inside out

and place them in their room.
i'm just at the tip of the iceberg with their room. but i feel like i'm moving the right direction.


come back tomorrow, we're changing gears and talking WEDDINGS!
yes with tutorials involved!


v and co loves her sponsors check out what's new at burgundy buttons!

comments closed

42 comments:

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

WOW!! love this post! thanks for the super tutorials on how you did those fantastic cushions. Looking forward to Weddings!

naomi said...

thanks for the great tutorial!

ClassiclyAmber said...

Those pillows are so cute! Who knew how easy it could be? Rawk.

=-D

laura.elizabeth said...

Vanessa- I am so excited you posted this process again as I am planning a stake Relief Society craft day and we will be doing this project. in any case, I am a little confused about freezer paper. Is it the same things as wax paper? or parchment paper? I am starting to feel a little nervous about it because I can't find any thing called freezer paper here in Italy and our activity is just a month away. Anyway, if you could define freezer paper for me, I'd be very grateful! Thanks a bunch!

Laura

V and Co. said...

hi laura!
yes you can find it in the section where the tin foil is. also sometimes people will have it in the crafting section as well.
what it is: one side is "shiny" with wax and the other side is paper. and it feels like paper. wow! i hope you find it! if not have your mom send you some! ;) best of luck!!!! miss talking to ya! -V

Anonymous said...

I love how graphic and modern your designs are. So refreshing!
Question... do the pillows still smell like spray paint? Could this also just work with fabric paint? I just bought my first roll of freezer paper yesterday and I'm not itching to make some of these pillows :)

Ariane said...

This is such a great idea. The possiblities are endless. Just wondering if these would be washable? You know how boys are....

V and Co. said...

No they don’t still smell like spray paint. But they are on the stiff side. I’ve tried the fabric spray paint and it’s too liquid-y and bleeds through. BUT fabric paint would totally work (the kind you paint on with a brush)

V and Co. said...

and yes they are washable...they fade over time but they also get softer after the wash.
but i don't suggest you drying them in the dryer as i don't know what they would do to your dryer!

Cheryl said...

Love the vader poster. LOL, can see why your hubby would want that in his office.
Your tutorial is really interesting...in a good way. I have never used freezer paper and paint on fabric before. I like the mixing of mediums.
Looking forward to the wedding tutorials. Sounds like fun.

rachel griffith said...

shane wants that freaking poster.
not. even. joking.

oh and you're my hero.
:)

Abbey said...

Thank you for the inspiration! I am trying to get my sons room done for his 1st birthday and was looking for some great ideas! I am thinking of using your spray paint design on a bean bag chair!

Forever You said...

Super cool! I can`t wait to try this! And Nice to meet you, Vanessa

www.ForeverYou.etsy.com

Kari Sweeten said...

V, I HAVE TO BUY THAT VADER POSTER! My son would love it.
Leave it to you to come up with a fabulous tutorial for boy month! So cool.

Jessica said...

I love how these pillows turned out. So simple and easy too. Thanks so much for sharing. These are now on my list to do. :)

Sarah said...

Thank you for this lovely tutorial! I have two boys and it seems that so many cute crafts and decorations are for girls that it is such a nice change of pace to see something I love (even a bit modern!) for boys!

Can't wait to see more!

Best,
Sarah

christy said...

Love the direction of the room & cannot wait to see the final product, hope you post pics! My son would FLIP for a Star Wars room! We are getting ready to seperate his bunks (he's only 6, but tall & he's almost out of room) & changing things up a bit.

Hollis said...

These are great! I have never worked with Freezer paper, but will for sure have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing

Andrea said...

Great Ideas, and so cheap. I never would have thought to use spray paint. You are so cleaver.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

LOVE IT! I think I am going to do some new pillows for the boys. Freezer paper and I have just become really good friends. I just did a stinking cute boy shirt, and I am pretty sure I have a bazillion more planned in my head.

Victoria said...

Love the poster and the pillows! Perfect for a boys room.

I loved reading about your thrift store conversation with your husband. Sounds about like mine.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

These are so cool, what a great idea! Thanks for sharing, I'll be linking.

Ali said...

Oh my! My son was SO excited when he saw what I was looking at. Jack has become obsessed and thinks that this is the coolest idea EVER....he wants to move into your boys' room. Fabulous way to bring something crafty and stylish into a boys' room (which--I know, shocker!--are not notorious for being either crafty or stylish).

Becky said...

I sew for a decorator and I can confirm we make pillow covers 1" around smaller than the pillow itself. i.e. a 16" x 16" pillow get a 15" x 15" finished cover. And be sure to round the corners a bit on 'em so you don't get 'dog ears."

I love the spray paint aspect! How do they hold up to washing?

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

this is so so cute! thanks for the great tutorial!!

trish said...

Great tutorial!
And super cool poster!
My niece has something like that.
Sincerely ~ Tricia

Faund Images said...

I know I've told you before, but I LOVE your pillows... EVERY ONE! You are so dang creative... LOVE IT!

Lisa Leonard said...

love it! yay for boys!!

Rachel said...

That is so seriously cool!

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Really cool! I wondered how that would feel but you already answered that!

My mom makes custom pillows all the time (she has a drapery workroom) and she cuts her pillows TWO inches smaller than her pillow form. But ONLY for the nice down-filled pillow forms... the regular cotton-poly-filled pillow forms you would get at JoAnn's and stuff would look silly. In that case, she'd do what you said and cut it the same size as the pillow form.

The freezer paper designs you used are fantastic! Maybe if I had a boy I could channel good boy ideas better!

Connie said...

Love this idea! Thanks!

Dogwood said...

Another great tutorial. Love that idea. Love the end result. Looks like a fun room.

Thanks to you.

pocalinde said...

That "Rex" Poster is so coool! My son would love it!!!
Greets from germany :)

SLO Rober said...

I love the looks of the boys room. You did a great job. My boys keep asking me for a "Mar-Wars" room...that's Mario and Star Wars combined.

amy smart said...

These are so cute. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me.

Kimberly Tripp said...

great idea! I totally need some freezer paper. It's almost as useful as coffee filters!

Unknown said...

so so so cute!

CitricSugar said...

Once again, you pull out the awesome! Gorgeous cushions. GOR-geous.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I love the effect and agree - that poster is too fun!

Nina... said...

Lovely idea!

Quiltpiecer said...

This is super creative! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THESE! I can't wait to make them. I had to share, so others may be inspired too!
I have included a link in my weekly roundup of creative/inspiring/fun ideas, blogged here:
http://www.camilledawn.com/2010/07/tuesday-tumblr-4.html
Thanks for the inspiration!
Camille
Mother✭Lode
http://www.camilledawn.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin