Monday, January 25, 2010

tutorial: composition book cover



to make this cover you will need:
*strips of varying widths with at least 16 inches in length.
*2 rectangles of muslin cut out to 5 1/4 by 11inches
*one long rectangle with the measurement of 25 by 11 inches
*one button
*one elastic hair band.

first get you a boring looking composition bookmeasure your composition book. mine was 10 in length and when i measured from one end of the cover to the other end, it turned out to be 15 inches in width.
cut strips with at least 16 inches in length and i varied my widths because i wanted it to look a little wonky...you will want to make your strips come out to at least the width of 11 inches total when sewed together.
sew your strips and press them flat with an iron.
trim sown your middle section to 15 1/2 by 11 inches
next i used one of my daughters hair ties.
and placed it in the middle just like the picture above (on the left side, because this will be your back side)
now cut two rectangles with the measurements of 5 1/4 by 11 inches. these are going to be the inside "pocket" part of your cover.
pin it down.
sew to the left and right of your strips the muslin blocks.

cut the backing to match the finished front size. (should be 25 inches by 11 inches)
sew together right sides, leaving an opening so you can turn it inside out. cut off your ends so your corners will lay flat
turn inside out...
press with an iron,
and top stitch around your whole cover.

now make sure you fold the cover so that the loop is right on the edge.
and place the button where you want it on the opposite side. so that you will be able to loop the button with your elastic.

now sew your folded cover right on top of your already top stitched area. this will create your pocket to slip in your cover.
do this to both sides.

now you have a cute cover for all your ideas, schedules, or journal-ing!


v and co loves her sponsors check out lisa leonard's custom jewelry
comments closed

31 comments:

CosmoGirl Carla said...

I love this! Thanks so much for sharing the idea. I've covered composition books many times with paper but never with fabric. Can't wait to make a bunch for gifts for all the girls I'll be going away with on next weekend's retreat.

Thanks again!
Carla

KaHolly said...

Oh, Thank you for this tutorial. It is well done and much appreciated. I am going to bookmark this page so I can find it easily when I complete my winter travels and return to my sewing machine. ~karen

trish said...

What a great project. I can't wait to do it myself. With 2 teens in our house, I always have comp. books! :o)
Have a great day.
Trish

Kelly O. said...

thanks V! I plan on making this for my secret sister as a prayer journal.

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea - what a great way to spruce up a boring notebook. Thanks for sharing!

Lindsay

Drew&Samsmom said...

How exciting for MEEE! I just bought one of these this weekend for an "inspiration book"! YAYYY

~stevie
http://thriftingthedayaway.blogspot.com/

Needled Mom said...

Very cute and a well done tutorial. Thank you.

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

I love it! The hair tie is a great idea! You're awesome :)

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

So cute! Would be a cute scripture over too!!

Anonymous said...

Love it! And I'm thinkin' that if I made one of these, my boys would stop stealing my notebooks to doodle in. ;)

Jane Ellen said...

I love your blog! Thanks for all of the great ideas. I just recently read about your token system and we started it this week. It is awesome!!!
And I loved finding out that you live in Loa. I know exactly where that is. I live in California now, but grew up in Richfield :)

Melanie said...

I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing...I might even add a thin layer of batting and try some free motion quilting or quilt the strips. This is going to be fun...
The Hair tie piece is pretty clever :)

Jennifer said...

ooo...Lovely! Did you use a Moda Honey Bun for this project?--If so, which fabric? Thanks!

Kimberly said...

Sweet! Oh, and I made one of your bracelets today... double sweet!

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

just lovely!

Donna said...

LOVE IT! Thank you so much for this tutorial...it's printing out right now and I'm making one very soon.

Donna

Allie said...

Very cool! Thanks for the tutorioal!

Michele said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I made one this morning and it turned out so cute! Fit perfectly too!

Cocukla Cocuk said...

Very cute book cover.
We've made a photo album cover with the same method;
http://www.cocuklacocuk.com/kirmizi-dantel-kumas-kapli-album/

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is so pretty! Thanks tons, I'll be linking.

Tricia said...

Hi V.
I am mildly obsessed (in a totally non-weird kind of way ;) with this project. I'm including a link to it in my Inspire My Saturday post today.
Have a great weekend!

Vintage Girl said...

LOVE this tutorial, thank you so much! Heather

Seizing My Day said...

I LOVE it! and I gave my little girl (who loves notebooks!) a sewing machine for Christmas... Perhaps this will be her first project!! ;)
THanks! New blogger & new follower!
Jenn~

Edige said...

Thank you for sharing this tutorial! I made it for my friend. You can see here the result:
http://edige08.blogspot.com/2010/02/naominak.html#links
Edit form Hungary

JaneyJ said...

This is an amazing idea! I made one for my daughter yesterday and she couldn't wait to show it off!

Emily Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily Nicole said...

This is so cute! Thank you, thank you, thank you, for sharing this wonderful idea! I love to make cute and feminine items...and this nails it! I have to make this with my scrap fabric this summer...or maybe, later this afternoon! Oh, and I'm posting the link to your blog on my Facebook too. Thank you and I'll be visiting again really soon! :)

Sildenafil said...

it seems to be a good idea to share all this tutorials from moms, I need to admit that they are very instructive, and wonderful to know all this.

Janine said...

Thanks for your tutorial, it's a good idea
I speak french but I can understand

Amy said...

I love this idea!

The Prudent Homemaker said...

I can do the math but I just wanted to double check. . .

What is your seam allowance?

I am making one for Christmas for my daughter.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin