Monday, August 3, 2009

tutorial:: the perfect add on fabric flower

remember a while back i made my daughter a new flower hair clip? you all asked for a tutorial then.
then i posted about the textured pillow i made...
you all asked how i made the flowers...well here you go.
the basics on how to make the perfect add on flower to add just about anywhere you want to get a little extra pizazz. depending on how big you want your flower you will either add in width or take away in width.
for this particular flower (the biggest one found on my textured pillow) i cut out my strip of fabric at 2 1/2 inches. your length should be the length of a bolt of fabric (usually around 45 inches in length) at the end of my strip i cut off a little so that i had some left over for my fabric button that would be placed in the middle. (not much is needed...just approx 3 inches)

first you are going to thread your needle (make a knot at the end of your thread)
and you are going to do a loose running stitch at one side of your strip of fabric. do this the whole length of your strip.

gently pull your thread as you go it will naturally start curling up.

when all your gathering is done, tie off the end so it doesn't unravel.
your curl should be wound up a little more (i usually end up with three layers of ruffled fabric)

go through all three layers of your flower with your needle and thread so that it holds it's shape.
sew together your flower in the middle, a few times just to make sure it will stay put as it is.

next you will want to make a fabric button. i used this kit the instructions are right on the package, and it has everything you need to make it.


sew on your finished fabric button.

now you are going to attach your pin to the back of your flower.
you can either sew it on or hot glue gun it.

to make it into a hair clip i added a "single prong clip" you can sew or hot glue it onto the back of your flower. these can be found at any beauty supply store.
*also for the hair flower i cut the strip at 1 1/2 inches. (this way it doesn't swallow up your daughter's head, and there's no threat of her catching wind and flying away.)
other ways to use this size of flower:


(granted not the best color combo but i'm making a new detachable purse for these rings just so i can put this pretty flower on it!)
if you make one make sure you put it on the Flicker group!
have fun!
comments closed

45 comments:

Audrie said...

Awesome! Thanks for posting this... I'm going to make one for my niece :)

Anonymous said...

Looks easy enough... and it looks girly and cute on the pillow!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Andi said...

Cute!!

kristi lee said...

YOU ROCK!

andrea creates said...

Thanks ,this is really cute:)

Angela Yosten said...

Love it! thanks for sharing! will have to make several of these!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

so cute V!! you are much better at thinking 3D than I could ever dream i'll be... so i'm happy i "know" you.. so i can just make the things you come up with!!

Caroline said...

I love it! So adorable...but how do you keep the edges from fraying?

Terri said...

How cute! I guess if you didn't want a frayed look you could zigzag or hem the edges, huh? Or put some "fray-stop" on the edge? Of course, the teens I know would love the fraying!

Robin said...

Im with jaybird...I love making the things your mind comes up with!! Wonderful!

Nedra said...

Ohhh.. a covered button idea. I've only been making lots and lots of those buttons and am very addicted.
I don't have any little girls around any more, so I love the idea of the flower add on for a purse.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I've been making these for awhile - the covered button makes it! Love your tutorial

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Adorable!!

Tara said...

A detachable purse! It'll be like the watches where you can just change out the band. You are so clever! If you're into selvages, your tutorial would also work well for a strip of those, albeit with a little less gather. Just a thought!

stacey said...

LOVE IT! i have been looking for something to finish a bag with! thanks.

Free Art Printables said...

This is very cute! I am having a giveaway, stop by!~

Ana~A Petite Cottage said...

How pretty! Can't wait to make one. Thanks for the tutorial.

Ana♥

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

AWESOME... LUV it!! I can't wait to make some!

rachel griffith said...

oh i ♥ it on katie's pillow!!!
adorable.

Elise said...

Ooh, thanks for the tutorial!! Lovin' it!!
Elise

Sachiko said...

Great job! I love the flower pin on the white pillow.

dotti white said...

V...thanks for this awesome tutorial! These are so very sweet ! I used your idea of the mosaic and designed a new header for my blog. Go check it out and let me now what you think! Thanks for inspiring me!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

What a great tutorial! Thank you for sharing it~ SO CUTE.
~Nancy

Serena said...

So cute! Can't wait to make a few.
Thanks for the great tutorial.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

so cute!

Tricia said...

So cute! Great instructions.

an encourager said...

i would love these darling flowers on my flip flops!

Anne said...

Oh, so pretty!!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-fabric-flower-to-add-to-just-about-any-sewing-project/2009/08/03/
--Anne

Diana said...

Super cute! Thanks for the tutorial. I'll be heading to the craft store tomorrow.

Krys said...

Yea! Thank you for posting this - I've seen them everywhere and I really want one to jazz up my tanks. Now I have the power :)

ColleenandKendra said...

I love to make things but have to rely on other people's ideas to copy! Thanks for sharing all your great ideas! I love these bows---I've been wanting to make some for my daughter but didn't know an easy way. So easy and so cute. I also had a piece of wide gros grain ribbon and tried the method and it looked really cute even without a button! My daughter loves them! thanks again!

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

I love fab floweres! Another idea instead of a button kit........because I really do live in the back of beyond, where anything that resembles a fab store would have to be called wal mart, and it's 50 miles away....and we all know what their craft and fab department is like after they remodle.......would be to cover a dime or penny or a nickle. They work well as covered buttons. ♥

Becky said...

Thank you for sharing this! It is darlin!

Very Shannon said...

Ohhhhh, so fabulous! I'll be adding this to our link luv roundup tomorrow! This is great!

Lisa said...

Vanessa, upon going out of town on vacation I bestowed upon you a Starry Light Award and then forgot to tell you...silly me....

Well, I think you do such a beautiful job at everything. Motherhood, crafting, blogging, tutorial...I just wanted to thank you for sharing so much with us all! If you have a moment stop by my blog and check out the award...Vintagesweetpeas.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful day...Hugs Lisa

Tyler V said...

Vanessa,
If you are the vanessa I am thinking you are (which, looking at the picts of the boys, I'm pretty sure you are), I think it's hilarious that I found you blog hopping. Cuz it's been, what, 5 years since you moved from Eastgate? It's ali vigue...from the 171st...
anyway, looks like you're keeping things as cute as ever. If this is the wrong vanessa, you know, sorry! otherwise, it's fun to "see you" via a blog stalk!

Small House said...

Really cute! Thanks for sharing.
Sandra

Kathy said...

Where oh where did you get the white ruffled fabric on that pillow?

Love the use of the fabric button!!!

Emily said...

Seriously lady if you give me one more cute project that I just HAVE to make I will scream (in joy)! I LOVE it. So simple, so sweet.

Jessie Lathroum said...

OMG,.. this is TOO cute! I am already making a pillow and I am totally adding one of these super cute posies!! YHANKS!!

jenn said...

dang, your creative! i may actually attempt this!!

Dandelion Quilts said...

Oh...this is so cute. Thanks for the tutorial!

charlie said...

Your flower is just lovely with the covered button. I am book- marking this to put with the others.

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I can’t tell you how much I adore this! Thank you so much for the fabulous tutorial!! I featured this tutorial as well as your tutorial for your flower corsage today on my blog with a roundup of flower tutorials. Here is the link:

http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/07/wednesdays-wowzers-3-dozen-plus-four.html

Thank you so much for inspiring me. Have a wonderful day!

~Alison

Margaret said...

Just wondering on this flower, what keeps it from fraying on the outer edge of the flower?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin