Tuesday, August 11, 2009

super moist banana bread


seriously i don't know what's going on with me.
i normally don't enjoy cooking.
heck i pat myself on the back when i order and get pizza on the table just in time for the husband to walk in.
i actually enjoyed and was so giddy when i made this.
signs of the apocalypse?
no, it's just that i had super ripe bananas and yogurt (husband came with me grocery shopping last week and wanted bananas and yogurt...and... well now we have a ton of browning bananas and a ton of yogurt...and a husband who is so over banana's and vanilla yogurt.)
so wa-la!
super moist banana bread:
INGREDIENTS
* 2 cups plain flour (i used wheat, i KNOW... double apocalypse right around the corner!)
* 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
* pinch of salt
* 2 eggs (beaten)
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 cups of mashed overripe bananas
*1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional for topping)
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional for topping)
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla, yogurt and the mashed bananas and mix well.
3. Slowly stir in the flour, adding a little at a time. Then mix in the baking soda and salt, mixing thoroughly.
4. Pour the mixture into your prepared loaf pan. If the mixture is too stiff to pour you may want to add a little more yogurt and mix well until you reach the desired consistency. Only mix in a little yogurt at a time to avoid making the mixture too runny.
5. (Optional) sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar on top of loaf.
6. Bake in the centre of the oven at 350F for around 60 minutes. Oven times may vary, so check to see if the loaf is ready by inserting a knife or toothpick into the center of the loaf. It should come out completely clean when ready.
7. Allow to cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool fully.

enjoy.
ours was gone in 2 hours
thank heavens i still have more banana's and yogurt!
comments closed

32 comments:

Audrie said...

I just made a banana bread today too! My husband always grumbles when I don't buy bananas and when I do, he somehow forgets to eat them! I make my banana bread with sour cream instead of yogurt but it too results in a super moist cake :)

Andi said...

Mmm.
I have some bananas in the freezer just waiting to be thawed and used in THIS recipe.
Thanks.
Andi :-)

Tracey said...

What a great recipe and it must be in the air.. I usually dont' cook a lot either, but lately... I'm on a binge right now! I've going to try your recipe if I ever have bananna's around long enough. Oh, and my husband is in the National Guard here in Maine, and leaves for Iraq again early next year. Thanks for asking and thank your husband for his service!

Unknown said...

Nothing like a good Banana bread! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Unknown said...

I use wheat flower for a "healthier" banana bread and just substitute it in the recipe. Works wonders for the health conscious!!

Yum YuM!

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

I am not a cook either, but that looks WONDERFUL and if it tasted anywhere near as good as it looked, WOW
Lovely stuff well done.

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

nice happy camper table cloth.. and i won't be making your banana bread.. even though it looks great.. because i really don't feel like having a visit from the fire company today.. and we all know what happens when i try to cook.

Jo said...

Just found your blog ~ love it! I'll be making this banana bread for sure!

Jo

onlymehere said...

I've actually been looking for a new banana bread recipe. I'm going to try this! I don't like to cook either but the cool down in the weather does something to me that inspires cooking. I actually made a roast Sunday and I haven't done that in months!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Yum - I'm going to make this for after school snack today!

Marie said...

yum, sounds good.

mom2three said...

Ok, I know that you didn't actually INVITE me to, but now I'm totally moving in! Banana Bread AND the pretty views? I simply must move in.

PS- my son is FINALLY potty trained so you'll barely notice us. (but you might want to double all your recipes)

Cheryl said...

That banana bread looks great. I love it when it comes out moist and tasty.
You made me laugh when you said you got all giddy cause you don't usually like to bake or cook. When I first learned how to make biscuits from scratch I too was all giddy when I opened the oven and saw that they rose and looked and tasted so yummy.
It's the little things in life,right?
Enjoy.

Lisa Henderson said...

That sounds so good right now!

Ginger said...

I was just thinking this morning that I need to make banana bread with my super ripe bananas. I'm going to use your recipe. Thanks!

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

Yummo! Thanks bunches! Lewaina

MaRiN said...

Oooo, I have this recipe except I substitute the yogurt with sour cream. Soooo good and moist! Love it, love it, love it!

dotti white said...

That looks and sounds SOOOOOOOOO Yummy! I am going to have to try some. With you and cooking, my dad would always say, "Wonders never cease!" Always said with an endearing smile! I miss him--his birthday is on Friday. He would have turned 84. Have a great day, V!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

YUM! That looks so good. Man I'm glad I just bought 2 dozen bananas. Now where can I hide them so no one will eat them.....I've got to try this recipe! Maybe your cooking is kicking into overdrive because of your mother visiting? Just a thought...Keep it up though! Jenn

Needled Mom said...

I have some bananas right now that are ready for this recipe. Guess I should get cookin'.

nanaofnc said...

Always have over-ripe bananas around it seems and have some sour cream in the frig which I think I'll substitute. Now if will just get below 95 degrees here in NC, I may turn the oven on to make this. Thanks for sharing!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Seriously you are one cookin' machine. And yet here I am in the summer wishing I never had to cook anything.

It sounds delish. Whenever I start baking again I will have to whip some up.

amylouwhosews said...

My neighbor just brought me some banana bread bananas. I'm going to try this tomorrow! Thanks!

(I have a wheat grinder and everything for my WW flour. I'm a nerd.)

Free Art Printables said...

This looks yummy! I love banana bread!

margot said...

Hmmm--sounds good, looks great--needs chocolate chips!

happy zombie said...

Somewhere there are angles play harps... I heard them as I read this post.

I'm sure of it. I'm HARDLY adept in that room with the big sink... but staring at me there and having me perplexed what to do with them... are over ripe bananas and one huge container of Ba-nilla yogurt (that my son didn't finish before he left on his trip).

#&@*! my diet.

happy zombie said...

I forgot to say thank you, Vanessa...

THANK YOU!

Sherri said...

I think I have to try this! And it's healthy since it has bananas and yogurt, right?!

nanaofnc said...

Made this last night and turned out so good and moist!

My version was 1c each of regular and whole wheat flour, sour cream instead of yogurt, and Splenda instead of the sugar. I did use the sugar/cinnamon sprinkle on top. This is a winner. Think I'd like to add raisins next time...well...cuz I like raisins. Thanks again!

Cindi said...

i just had some bananas given to me so yeah!!! i'm gonna give this recipe a try tomorrow

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy. I just may feature it on my fun food blog.

Tricia said...

Y~U~M~M~Y!!!!

(Did I make my point?!) ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin