Thursday, June 4, 2009

tutorial: the table cloth skirt

what you will need:
a zipper and
zipper foot for your sewing machine
your favorite skirt (preferably an A-line skirt)
a table cloth (the one featured is a martha stewart table cloth found at K-Mart)


so many of you liked my other skirt i just made out of a table cloth that i was wanting to share how for all of you to make one for yourselves.
here you go:
make sure you wash your table cloth before you start this project. we don't want it shrinking on you after you've made it to fit you perfectly.


take your skirt and fold it in half like so.



fold your table cloth just enough for it to be the width of your half folded skirt.

place the skirt (the folded edge) right up against the folded edge of your fabric




either eye it or measure it but you will cut out your front panel of your skirt by outlining 1/2" bigger than your skirt you are using as your template. cut out your front panel.




next you are going to cut out one panel (of the two) for the back.



so that they are completely even, place right sides together the panel you just cut out for the back side of your skirt, and cut out your second panel for the back side of your skirt.



next you will take the two back side pieces and place them right sides together, and sew from the bottom up with a 1/2 inch seam allowance. leaving aprox 7" at the top undone (this is where your zipper will go.)



once your back skirt panel is sew (leaving the 7" opening on top) press with an iron your edges flat open and continuing all the way to the top.



measure 1"from the top and this is where your zipper top will be.
pin your zipper all along (the 6 inches that is left opened) make sure the zipper is facing away from you. and at the bottom of your opening (like 1/4" lower than your opening) place a pin sideways so you can see where you will need to cross over your zipper
also notice how i place my pins (the ones pointing up so that i can easily pull them out as i go sewing down my zipper, and the other side pointing down because i continue to sew once i cross over, in the other direction)


using a zipper foot, sew down one side (pull pins out as you go) make sure you are sort of close to the inside of your "teeth" of the zipper.




when you get to the needle that indicates where the end of your zipper is suppose to be (the blue needle i put sideways), sew over the zipper, back stitch a few times to make sure you make enough of a "barrier" so your zipper will stop.
next you want to sew up the other side still close to the zipper. when you get to the top make sure you back stitch. and cut off the extra zipper part on the bottom.



the hardest part of the skirt is now done.

you've just done a zipper.

pat yourself on the back.

i do.

every friggin time i do one of those babies.
to sew your front and back together, place right sides together pin the sides to match up. sew your sides up using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.once you've sewn the skirt sides, press your seams open on either side.

go the the top of your skirt and fold over your raw edge once, aprox a half inch


and then do it again like so. press down with iron.


sew all around the bottom.

then do the same for the top.
go to your hem area and do the same thing.

this one was made from the martha stewart christmas table cloth found on clearance at k-mart .
i'm going to make a few of these with store bought fabric as well, because they are just perfect for summer.
and fit perfectly as well.
happy skirt making!

62 comments:

Marie said...

By the way, how was the little trip?

Pemberley Court said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Beautiful! I better go find me a tablecloth! I linked to this at somedaycrafts.

BevS97 said...

I have tried to do a zipper so many times, and failed so many times that now I stick to patterns without zips, but your instructions look so much easier than my usual method, so I may just have to give zips a try once more!

szkornelia said...

Great tutorial. You make it seem so easy even I might try it, even though I have never sewn any wearable clothes before. Thnx.

Elisabeth said...

Thanks for the fun tutorial. Now I will attempt to get over my fear of zippers. Oh, and how was the Grand Canyon? I lived in AZ for 6 years and never went there! Luckily my inlaws are still there so I can go someday. It always made me paranoid that one of my little kids would fall in!

Kathy said...

Great tutorial - can't wait to try a zipper... I think (:
Thanks!

jamie said...

I love these skirts! So pretty. I've been waiting to see this tutorial. I'm a bit scared of the whole zipper thing though.

jamie said...

I love these skirts! So pretty. I've been waiting to see this tutorial. I'm a bit scared of the whole zipper thing though.

Anne said...

You are sew creative V!

Betsy said...

Guess what I will be doing today...can't wait. Never done a zipper so we will see how it goes. THANKS!

Shawn said...

Looks like fun *fast and *cute, thanks for the instruction!

Treasuresofjoy said...

WOW! I think I can.

lexid said...

Super duper cute! It is added to my list of things to do! :-)

Rebekah said...

*sigh* You make it look so easy! If my sewing machine did not consistently frustrate me to the point of wanting to toss it out the window, I'd be digging through my tablecloth collection right now!

Kari Sweeten said...

I've been waiting to make this adorable skirt! Thanks and I am so featuring this today!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

YAY! I love this project! I'll be linking.

rachel griffith said...

glad to see i'm not the only person in love with martha stewart tablecloths.

this is adorable.
i heart it.

p.s. the christmas tablecloth skirt...didn't you have pillow cases on your bed like that in a post a long while ago??? or am i just making this up???

JessiMac said...

Such a cute idea. I am curious, what size/shape tablecloth did you use? If you used a circular one, could the hemming be eliminated by cutting on the edge? Thanks for all the inspiration.

Sarah said...

Thank you! I've been wanting to make a few more skirts and I am not a big fan of patterns (cutting out the tissue paper is my least favorite part about sewing). This is perfect!

wyndesnow said...

Very cute. I haven't made a skirt using a zipper, but I have made A-line skirts without zippers very similar to this. I may have to find a table cloth I like and try this.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!!! I hope you had a great time with your fam. This week! I will have to find an A line skirt so I can try this:)

Anonymous said...

I bought that tablecloth last week at my K-mart for 5 bucks! I think I'm gonna make a skirt or two or three out of it. I got the really large one. Thanks for the tut!

Amy
abf3615@aol.com

Robin said...

Thanks V. I'm excited to give this one a go.

umama said...

Love this! And there are some gorgeous tablecloths out there! So perfect for this!

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

This is great and I just adore your blog! Thanks for sharing!

Kristine Hanson said...

too funny....I just bought that table cloth at KMart for 5.00 last week!

Jess said...

I suddenly feel the urge to go buy a cute tablecloth. Love the idea!

Wes and Dani said...

Okay, I just spent the last hour and a half (seriously) looking at your blog. You have an adorable family and you are SO good at decorating/sewing/crafting/finding good stuff at the "Big D" as we call it (DI, lol).

Anyway, just wanted to say that I am so impressed with you. :)

Dani Frisby, Logan UT

Jennwith4 said...

Cute! You are amazing! Thanks for the tutorial I'm definitely gonna be using this one!

Dawn said...

Love it!!

dotti white said...

Thanks for the tutorial--so sweet! Have a great week!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for sharing... I'll have to give it a go!!

Cheryl said...

I have been waiting for this tutorial ever since you said you would do it. Thank you so much for doing this. I am going to try and give it a go.

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

i need to make one of these... i mean its not like i have any other projects on my to-do list!

cherry said...

You are cruel........I have never done clothes! ONly straight lines...for window treatments. I LVOE that skirt tooooo. cherry

Alexandra Frankel said...

the zipper is so intimidating... gonna need to work up to this project. love how yours turned out though...

Kirsty said...

Hi Vanessa, have just found your blog. It's amazing & this tute is fabulous. Thank you.

Shanoy Coombs said...

I really like your blog and i've added your button to my page. I also liked your article on getting the kids to help and i've posted a link to my bog jamaicanmommies.blogspot.com. Hope i didnt breach any copyright infringements :-)

Anne said...

So pretty!! I especially like how you incorporated the border print of the tablecloth. I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-sew-a-skirt-from-a-tablecloth/2009/06/04/

--Anne

Sarah said...

I have been blog stalking you for this. THANK you so much! I can't wait to make myself a skirt or three. SO cute and easy.

girlsmama said...

So V, do you finish your seams at all? How do they hold up when you wash them?

Laurel said...

I bought a zipper tonight. For the first time ever. That's how well you explained this/made it look doable. Thanks!

SouthernDogwoods said...

So cool! Thank you for sharing!

katherine said...

seriously love it! love new ideas. love how simple it looks. thanks!

Megan said...

so cute, i love it! thanks for sharing!

JoannaP said...

Oh thank you so much!
I did 2 skirts last week with different zipper attempts. 3rd time's a charm - because of your tutorial!!

Laura said...

OK. Now I have to go buy a tablecloth!

Fleming Family said...

Wow, Vanessa, that looks so easy I think I just might try it! I am not one to try "Stuff like this" either! Thanks for the tutorial! You're the bestest!!!

Catarina said...

I will try this one, thanks for sharing :)

Amy said...

How inspiring. I was so encouraged, I went out and bought my very first zipper. I actually bought two. I'm setting my hopes high, I suppose. Can't wait to start right now!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Holy cow, that's adorable!

Now if I could only sew...

Anonymous said...

Great upcycling idea!

April said...

LUUUUUUVED the pattern!! I just finished my first skirt ever-with a ZIPPER! hank you, thank you, thank you!

Amanda Jean said...

thanks so much!!! i'm going to have to break down and try making a skirt now. the tutorial helps a ton!

Julie said...

Love it! 2 questions/comments

1. Could you just cut one back panel and then put a zipper on the side seam of one side? I like hip-zippers better, anyhow, for ease of dressing and am thinking that would make cutting it out even easier.

2. If you wanted to do a lining, how would you do that? It looks like your black & white starter skirt has a lining and I prefer lined skirts if I can get them. Would you just cut another skirt pattern but lop off about 3" from the bottom and sort of repeat the steps but layer them together in the zipper and hems?

Lollydo said...

I am giving this a try ... I linked this in a tweet on twitter. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

awesome tutorial, easy peasy. i made one, it's here:

http://theadventuresofroryandjess.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-made-skirt.html

Thanks again!

Jessica

Emily Cole said...

This is awesome! I love the idea of using clearance fabric from tablecloths as skirt material! I will certainly have to try this myself! (NOW - to find time to do it!)

silversmith said...

ok... 1. awesome idea, especially since there are really cool tablecloths out there and 2. i LOVE your tutorial for the zipper. i always sew in invisible zippers because i'm afraid of regular ones for some reason. this just made it so easy looking!

michele said...

yay!!! just finished my first ever article of clothing for MYSELF!! wooot! i blogged about you here :)

http://mfnusz.blogspot.com/2010/02/skirt-for-me.html

enikő said...

That's such a great tutorial! Thanks a lot for sharing.
I'll sew one of these skirts myself. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin