Monday, October 24, 2011

V and Co: before and after: the mantle

 last week i sort of hinted that i was painting again on facebook
this has been an ongoing "discussion" (aka me bringing up something over and over and OVER again and jake sidestepping and dismissing and changing the subject, in hopes that i would just.give.it.up. yeah, ahem, i didn't.)
okay so since moving into our home...i've struggled to decorate it. first off i've not had that much time in the house, and second, i've not had enough extra down time to well...do too much in the decorating side of things.
and to tell you the truth my biggest road block: our current living room.
i didn't like it.
aside from the two big windows...it doesn't have a ton of light coming in. 
and well on top of not getting a ton of light:
the color on the walls. eh.
the mantle wood. eh.
basically there's is soooo much brown and eh.
oh i know "boohoo, you have a new house your husband found a job he loves, and you are complaining about the living room having too much brown?"
i know i felt ungrateful too.
trust me.
and i tried and tried to let it go.
but when you are in a house all day long. somethings that start out as "eh's" turn into "oh my gosh i HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!"
and well jake said: "will it make you shut up happy to paint the fireplace?"
he didn't have to say it twice i was out like flash and i bought the supplies i needed.
first i called my next door neighbor and enlisted her help, you know the one that already thinks i'm crazy for taking her out on a hot humid summer's day to take pictures in front of a bale of hay. yeah her. she's real nice and keeps saying yes to my "adventures" so i figured lets give her another try.
she said yes. :)
second, i taped off around the fireplace.
then i lightly sanded the whole thing down.
now the paint.
the husband said to look for trim and door paint.
and so i found it.
(okay so before i go any further i have to say this: this is in no way shape or form a paid post. it is me all me and just my experience and opinion of this paint. okay moving on...)
glidden extra high gloss for trim and door promises no drips and no brush marks.
they are true on that. in the end there are no drips and no brush marks.
with one coat of paint
at the store their little display said "our one coat vs their one coat" and it looked like it would totally cover my mantle in one coat.
verdict: uh no, if i left it at the first coat it would of looked like a 3 year old tried to paint my fire place with Elmer's glue.
but the second coat went on better.
here's the deal though. it's an oil base paint, and its super tacky to paint with.
we waited 24 hours before painting a second coat.


the second coat went on super smooth and easy.
but i had to put a third coat on a few little tricky places.
for this project i used only one quart of paint (and i still have some left over)
all in all the experience was a good one with the paint. totally worth it (it's kind of expensive) and i think it helped with the room. i know it did with my spirits.

and yeah i know i have no "fluff" yet in this room.
it's all kind of boring.
but it's a step in the right direction.

i took care of one my "eh's"

next on the table:
wall paint.
don't know when but i'm thinking soon, as the hours in the day get shorter and shorter and i NEED "lighter". yeah i think i'm going with a lighter tint. :)
thoughts?

33 comments:

BJ_Mama said...

Okay, this is hilarious! We are living parallel lives! We moved into a new BEAUTIFUL home 3.5 months ago...and I'm going crazy. Everything is nice. But "Eh." to me! I'm finally getting the inspiration to do something about it! Thanks for making me feel better...we're not ungrateful...we just need to make it our own! :)

Andi said...

I think you are one of the most grateful down to earth people I "know" Okay I don't really know you but from your blog you come across as grateful and funny :) Love the painted mantel!! I am not a beige person...I love cooler tones like grays with pops color. My living room is a gray called dolphin cove by valspar (i think) and I LOVE it!

Karen said...

Love the white... really brightens up the room, reflecting the light around it... feeling comfortable in the space I'm in is so important to me, as well...

trish said...

Your mantel looks fantastic!! I love the white! If I could, every wooden surface in my house would be white. :o)
I know what you mean, being home so much, things just get to you. :o) I have a few of those myself right now and can't wait to "fix" them.
Have a super day! hugs. Trish

Esch House Quilts said...

The mantel looks great! We all have to make our homes our own.

You wouldn't keep all the previous owner's furniture (even if they wanted you to) so why should you keep their paint choices?

tomiannie said...

I totally know how you feel -- going from "eh" to "this is making me so crazy I can't stand it another minute." Thank goodness for understanding husbands. The mantel does look really nice. That helps me make a decision about our living room (my current "driving me crazy" space) -- we are trying to plan a new entertainment center/built-in situation, but I couldn't decide whether to go with something dark or white. We get so little natural light in there, I'm really thinking the white might brighten up the whole space the way yours does. Thanks!

Victoria said...

Painting the fireplace would have made me happy too! It looks great painted and lightens the whole room. :)

Elsa said...

Wow, what a change, looks great!

Unknown said...

Completely brightens up that room! Great job!

pammbw said...

Mantle looks wonderful! I think the suggestion of gray walls is really good too. I also think you may need more lighting in that room. Side tables with indirect incandescent lighting will warm things up and cast flattering pools of light.

Anna said...

love it so much white! I totally understand the not wanting to paint the wood, I've been wanting to paint my wood trim white since we moved in, but its still wood 6 years later.

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I am a white trim person so I think it looks really nice! Great job.

mascanlon said...

Goodness what a difference! It is always amazing how a single change can make such a huge impact!

Ann-Marie said...

I love your fireplace mantle- It looks so much better white! good job!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

The painted mantle makes such a big difference. I love it.
My thoughts on the room- light grey... :)

liZ said...

I've spent the entire weekend painting---including our mantel which I also painted white. Paint makes such a difference! Your mantel looks great.
liZ
(simplesimonandco)

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

I saw your twin yesterday at church...I stared at her lots...I am sure she found me totally creepy! Love the mantel! Why oil paint? Let's paint the front room something other then brown...shall we?

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

The white looks fabulous Vanessa! Great job! :) as always!

chris said...

I found a really pretty light greyish green through Valspar called "tranquility" I really like and am going to try for our new house. It's available through our independent building supply.

Rachael said...

Great improvement! I am always changing wall colors, to my husband's dismay. What about a light blue/grey to pick up the robin's egg colors in your bowl and (i can't tell for sure?) pillows?

Tote, Debby, Sammy and Caleb Jimenez said...

Just simplify things. New floors then you'll probably love the current paint! ;)

Carolyn J. said...

Another great job! The white fireplace mantle looks more at home with the other white woodwork.

Good luck settling on a wall color.

Anonymous said...

Hello, well done with the white on the table and the fire place. I am the same kind of person :). I agree with lighter color on the wall, definitely. Just now it looks very uniform with the carpet and the inner colour of the fire place (is it small tiles?). I like the color of your big bowl on the table. I would think of using the lighter version on the wall but I am not that brave.

Anonymous said...

..I would probably also change the round mirror for a square one. Maybe with the gold frame.

amylouwhosews said...

the white mantle now matches the rest of the white trim! good job!! Love it. We have sickies at my house too this week. Although, I don't think I have as much going on as you do. :(

Tina said...

I love white mantles also, I painted mine white about 10 (?!) years ago and still love it. Its very easy to live with and fun to decorate!

Julianna said...

I love the mantle. Perfect, and I am certain you will pick out a lovely shade for the walls too. :) Add an area rug and you will feel like you are in a new room (although this one is pretty great). I wish you were my neighbor. We moved in April and I'm so lonely. Good luck!

Vanessa said...

HI, Vanessa

This looks great!

Vanessa

mandy said...

LOVE it! Now to find your colorful somethin-somethin for over it! Looking forward to playing with you again next month. . . :)

Amber said...

Your "new" mantle is BEAUTIFUL!

Anonymous said...

It does look great. I was wondering if that paint had the normal horrible oil paint smell that takes forever to dissipate ?

Bonnie Weeks said...

I had about the same wall paint you have now. I recently painted "accessible beige" from sherwin williams and love it! It's a warm gray that makes the whole space seem lighter. Good luck!

Annalia said...

That looks amazing...and I'm super grateful for a trim paint review (oddly enough), since my new (to me) house needs to have all of of the trim and doors repainted. bleh.

The last owners did a crap, crap job of it and I have paint PEELING off of all of my doors and door fames. double bleh.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin