Friday, September 17, 2010

how to: wax paper and crayon fall leaves

so this last week i decided to quit ignoring the elephant in the room, and acknowledge that fall is... well basically at my door step. the leaves are starting to show a hint of change and with that change came my "NO! NOT YET!" anxiety of: if fall is coming that means winter and that thing that this california native still can't understand why anyone would enjoy...snow...is basically just around the season corner.
see i used to love fall. while growing up in california it meant you got to bring out pumpkins, got to cook with pumpkin, cinnamon smells were in the air, the air would turn a crisp yumminess and some of the leaves would turn a really pretty color. then i moved to somewhere where there's REAL seasons, and well personally i loath, hate, and think it's kind of poopy don't think i like winter and i think it's over rated. and it's turned me against my beloved fall because it's just the in between from me and that white yucky stuff.
but my kids love it.
and there's no real near future of moving from it.
so...
"get over it." i tell myself.
and myself tells me to "screw you."
oh well.
might as well craft anyways.
these leaves were made just like you used to make those stain glass windows with wax paper and crayon shavings.

you can hang them, you can place them prettily to dress up any surface, and well you can just place them on your windows as well.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

*wax paper.
*scissors
*iron
*towels (so that you don't ruin your ironing board)
*paper towels (so you don't ruin your iron)



*fall colored crayons that have seen better days

*leaf template (right click hit save as and then print off. make sure you make them fit your picture screen so it doesn't cut off any of the leaf. i made mine as a 4 by 7 picture)


cut out wax paper approx letter paper size. with scissors start shaving your crayon onto the wax paper. not too much we want it to be a pretty thin layer of crayon melt.
i mixed two colors:
*brown and orange
*yellow and magenta
*orange and yellow
my favorite ones turned out to be the yellow and magenta ones.

when you have your two colors shaved on, place the second piece of wax paper on top making a sandwich.

with an iron set on a warm setting, place a towel first down onto your ironing board. then your wax paper and crayon sandwich. then place a paper towel in between your iron and the wax paper sandwich.

slowly melt your crayon shavings. and push the "liquid crayon" around so it's thin and covers a larger area. (be careful of spilling the wax! don't push it too far out or it will seep out the corners of your wax paper sandwich!)
once they are cool take your print out leaf, and your wax paper creation.
place underneath, it should be clear enough for you to be able to see your lines.
with a pencil trace your leaves.

cut out your leaves.


admire your pretty leaves, that surprisingly are making you feel a little better about fall coming.
now if you would like to hang them, i just got a needle and thread and made a big knot at the end of my thread. i hung them in front of our window, i hung them above our dinging room table, but in the end they ended up taped up...



on our back windows. the kids loved them. katie wants butterflys for her room, and the boys want bats for halloween.

ahh the life of a crafting mom.

enjoy!
maybe i'll craft myself into winter happiness. i mean there's a ton of ideas to welcome fall. a blog i just found is the better blog...if you've not seen it check it. it's pretty sweet.
BUT... i do in fact have extra clippings from this project and i'm hoping to make another project out of it. maybe monday...
happy thoughts happy thoughts i can do this...snow isn't that bad...yes it is but i still have fall to buffer it.
have a great weekend
comments closed

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO doing this with my kids ASAP. We need to bring some fall color into the house.

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea! I'm definitely going to give this a try.

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

I love this! It would be great for making a mobile for the kids' bedroom.

I hate winter and have lived in Utah, by the mountains, my whole life; so I have seen too much of it. For me, the only respite was and is when I go and visit my great grandparents in... California:) I love fall and spring, and I am completely okay if the other to seasons went away.

.....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies said...

So pretty~I'm going to surprise my kids and make this craft when they get home from school!

Unknown said...

love this! my girls would totally love this project!
~selina

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I remember making these when I was a kid. I was just trying to remember the other day how to make them. Yours turned out really cute!

Wendy said...

Thank you S.O. so very much!!! I'm going to do this with my girls (4 & 6) this weekend since it's supposed to rain all weekend. You have to be one of the ... THE ... coolest moms!! If your kids say different ... well, they're kids :) lol

Anonymous said...

I used to love doing fun projects like that with my kids! I'm with you on the dread of fall-all because of that darn winter!

Ellen said...

Those are really very cool! And an inexpensive little project that you can tweak for just about any holiday, season or occasion. I just may make some for my shop windows. Thanks for sharing the great idea!

Regina said...

My kids will love this! I'm doing it tomorrow!

This California girl was practically dancing today when I realized that it's pretty much fall now.

I hear you on that icky white stuff. Thankfully where I live we get some a few days a year and just enough to play with but not be an inconvenience. I lived in Wyoming for a couple of years and I got sick of winter FAST.

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

I made these last yr. Great project.

http://www.aprettycoollife.com/2009/09/crayon-leaves-for-pretty-autumn-window.html

an encourager said...

i forgot all about fun with crayons and wax paper!

Becky @ Our Sweet Peas said...

bummer, I JUST threw out all the crappy crayons. I am sure I will have more REALLY soon with twin boys around.

I haven't done anything "fallish" either although it is not because I don't LOVE it. It has more to do with me having a newborn in the hizouse and I'm potty training 2 3 year old BOYS. Such fun!

Love the craft and will be doing it thanks.

Aimee said...

Those are pretty stinkin' cool!

trish said...

Bless your heart. :o) I am a Northern California native, living in Mississippi ... the humidity is a stinker! Miss those blue dry skies. :o) Fall is my only link to them! :o)
Your leaves are adorable!! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia
ps. I have been playing with picnik. I'm hooked! Thanks for sharing about it the other day. :o)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Such a good mom...the butterflies and bats will be as cool as the leaves.

Elisabeth said...

What a fun project, my little girl would love to "help" me do that. I totally hear you on the weather thing. The week before school started it was in the 90's and we went swimming. Then bam, a week later, it was chilly in the morning and the kids started school. Fall is pretty but I am always either hot or cold, and like you said all it really does is make me dread winter for a couple of months! Winter here is terrible! I think it's even worse than there since it's a humid, wet cold. Ugh. I wish winter was just the month of December so it can feel like Christmas and then magically disappear!

melanie said...

I'll be making these for sure! Last year, I made hearts for Valentine's day. With younger kids, you can use old, cheap, pencil sharpeners instead of the scissors. Instead of using my ironing board, I put a bunch of newspapers on the counter. A lot more stable too! Off to look through their crayons for fall colors!

Unknown said...

I am so glad that I saw this post. I always forget easy crafts like this until the holiday/season has passed. We will be doing these next week for sure!

meg + andy said...

i feel the EXACT same way about this season. i want to love it because it really is beautiful but i just can't get over the fact that its only ushering in the worst season of all...good for you for making yourself get over it and doing something crafty. :)
meagan

Kara said...

Those are so fun and they look gorgeous! I am having a fall them on my blog this week- may I link to you please?
-Kara
http://littlelearnerslounge.blogspot.com/

The Tall Girl Cooks said...

THANK YOU for posting this and reminding me of something so fun to do! I live in Arizona and today it was 106. We don't get fall. And I hate it. I come from Georgia where you get all 4 seasons and spring and fall are the absolute best (unless you have allergies). This perpetual summer/hell in the desert is SO depressing to me.

A couple of days ago I decided I was going to MAKE it fall. I bought some scented candles at Walmart (Pumpkin Pie and Mulled Cider - woo hoo!) and now you have given me a simple thing to make that will give me my "fall" - at least inside the house.

The Tall Girl Cooks said...

Oh, and I'd like to link to you too, and borrow a photo with full credit to you (just to entice my friends to click over to your blog and follow your tutorial).

http://strawberryblondblog.blogspot.com

Sandi said...

I seen these before, but still think they are pretty and so simple to make.

Thanks for sharing.

Tasha said...

I remember doing this type of thing in school and with my mom! At the end of the year we would always have those broken crayons so we would make all sorts of neat projects with this idea! Thanks for bringing it back with such elegance!! Super fun! I'm doing this for Family Home evening..minus the leaves part since that doesn't go with the lesson!
Thanks for sharing!

Tasha
www.dotdotdotthis.blogspot.com

Shelly said...

Love these! I can not wait to make these with my boys this week! What a fun project! Thanks for the great idea!

~Shelly

http://evenings-and-weekends.blogspot.com/

Creative Mind said...

Its great...awesome...I always love your crafts & tutorials...Thank you so much for sharing with us...very nice...

Mama Gone Green said...

Looks great on the windows! I will have to try that with my toddler this week!

Homepodge said...

This stained glass window waxed paper crayon melting technique is totally new to me! Apparently I had a very unhappy childhood... ;)
The leaves look great. I especially love the little bubbles and ripples you get from the waxed paper. Thanks for the inspiring post!

Amanda Jean said...

i love these, vanessa! i should try them with my kids. we have PLENTY of crayons to use up. (oh, wouldn't that be a happy day!!!)

thanks for the tutorial!

Taylor said...

Those look so good! I bought some paper to do something similar but your version is much cooler and I have all those supplies on hand!

Taylor

P.S. sorry to hear about the gray hair! As a blond I hope I'll never notice that transition :)

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

I had to make these after seeing your post. Thank you so much for the inspiration! They're so pretty in our windows. Here the post I did with mine, of course with a link back to yours. http://helpinglittlehands.blogspot.com/2010/09/autumn-wax-paper-and-crayon-leaves.html

THanks, Polly @ Helping Little Hands

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

Thanks for the great idea! My mom did stuff like this when we were kids but I totally forgot about it!!!

Abby said...

I love this! Never did anything like this as a kid. I can't wait to try it.

Unknown said...

i LOVE these.
leaves which don't turn old and brown. great.

i'm linking.

thanks for sharing this tutorial.

doro.

Jennifer said...

What a great way to celebrate the beautiful fall colours. They are always gone far too soon.

lisa said...

Thanks for the idea! I just did the ironing part and am waiting for them to cool down for my four year old to practice with her safety sissors on the one I didnt like the color in the end and I will cut out some others. Then she will get to tape or thread them. Just double checkign we leave the paper on right? I am so tucking this into my "rainy day ideas" book.

Laurie said...

My boys and I just some this morning! Great tutorial. Thanks.

Kristin said...

Just used your tutorial to make pumpkins, it was a hit! Also posted a link to this on my blog, because that is how awesome I think this craft is!

sewingontheside.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

We made several this week. Thanks, Beth

Here's my post about it, I linked back to you.
http://mamabeefromthehive.blogspot.com/2010/10/wax-paper-fall-leaves.html

Anonymous said...

Hope you do not mind I am linking your blog over at my blog to show where we got the link for to do this :)

Karen G. said...

I don't remember ever doing this but I can't wait to try it! They look so pretty!
I'm so totally with you about hating winter. Loathing it. With that first hint of cooler weather, I feel an absolute panic that winter is coming. And, I was born and raised in Missouri, so you'd think I'd be used to it by now!
Thanks for the tutorials!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin