Monday, September 13, 2010

editing photos=some tips

i've been getting asked by a few of you if i have a cool lens that does different effects on my pictures. the answer is no, i do not. but i do in fact have access to a pretty cool editing program.
oh, okay before you huff and puff and start thinking "of course she has an editing program! it probably cost a bazillion dollars! jerk!"
let me just say this:
calm down no it doesn't cost a ton of money, and in fact it was free and oh get this, it's online.

the site i use is called :
picnik.com (use link to get there) and you can for no charge do just as i do with your pictures.
there are lots of effects that are for free (i personally don't pay for the extra stuff) but there are even MORE effects and editing options you can do if you pay a little for the extras. i've thought about doing it a few times...and then i get sidetracked and well there you go, i forget or don't or whatever.

basically you can use a lot of different tools on this site. but the two that i use the MOST are the "cross process" effect and the "orton-ish" effect.
here's how you do it:
you will have to create an acct (which is free) or you can be a guest, but the good thing about creating an acct is that it remembers your pictures.
once you create an acct you can follow these easy instructions:
for the orton-ish effect:
upload picture.
hit the create tab
click on the effects button
scroll down to "orton-ish"
i don't like the "bloom" effect it gives so i always scroll down to 0% but you can do whatever you like.


for the "cross process" effect:
follow the same instructions as above only instead hit the "cross process" button.
i always make it a little softer because sometimes i think the cross process looks better at a less %.


i'll be a little scarce for the next few days, i'm working on stuff, a new tutorial (if i get the chance) and on that dress if i don't post in a few days that just means i'm frustrated with one of the above and i'll be unpicking seams or re-thinking projects.

also i'm trying to recover from flipping off a tube while acting like a child when we were at lake powell this weekend. it most definitely got a lot of laughs (including mine) but those laughs are long gone and i'm not that spring chicken i keep thinking i am and my whole body is sore from the fun times in the sun at the lake.

27 comments:

chris said...

Thanks for the photo tips, and get some rest you ol' lady. I can say that since we're the same age, and I know your pain.

Kim's Treasures said...

That's what I use too, love it!

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

I love picnik! It is fabulous!

Katie said...

There is another online free picture software that you can download to your computer and then use whenever you want. It is called photoscape and I LOVE it! There are SO many things you can do to your pictures. I like picnik too, but rarely use it because I can do basically the same stuff on the other one plus more. Try it out. You will NOT regret it. :)

Anna said...

hope you can rest up and recover. :) take your time girl, we're not standing here beating down you door.

emily said...

cool ... thanks!

Sarah said...

awesome tips! thanks!!

Unknown said...

Yep, that's what I use too, but I've never used any of the effects like that. Definitely going to give it a try. Usually I'm just trying to color correct or enhance the light, but I LOVE what you did with your pictures!!

Lindsay

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Love picnik too! My daughters told me about it. I got a quick tutorial from them on the phone and now I'm on there all the time. Sore muscles are a quick reminder of how old you are. I've been there! Hope you feel better soon!
~Karen~

Cheryl said...

Hey V,
sorry to hear about the tube incident. Hope you rally back from that soon. The whole getting older thing is for the birds, isn't it?
Thanks for the picture tips. I always love your posts with your pics. They always look so lovely. That one with the bowl I especially like. You must have a room in your home with some great lighting??? Are you standing above that bowl when you take the pic? Meaning is it like on the floor to get that angle?

Wendy said...

Thank you for the link to edit software ... always in need of picture help and even better when it's free! Best of luck with the dress ... it will, of course, look wonderful how ever it turns out when you finish! Feel better soon from your fun times!

Amy said...

Wow - thanks for this link - that's amazing. I'm definitely going to be editing my photos in this this evening! Exciting!

Shaheen said...

Thank you for the tips. It was very, very, very helpful!

trish said...

this.is.so.cool!
Thanks V for posting about photo editing. I have a basic one on my computer, but picnik has so many more (and easy) options. :o)
Sorry you are sore. Hope you will recover quickly. :o)
"something" is coming in the mail to you today so watch your mailbox. :o)

Have a great week.
Sincerely ~ Trish

SUMMERSTEAD said...

I love picnik - especially the cross process. One of my favorite things to do is add the Vignette, then the Cross Process. It adds a cool dark frame around the picture, and highlights it a little.

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

I love Lomo-ish and Cross process. Every once in a while I like to use the 1960's effect. It reminds me of looking at my mom's graduation and wedding pics in
1983. Funny how film always had that sepia haze back then:)

Unknown said...

picnik is the best. i love that it is so simple and easy to use.

Melissa @Lilac Lane said...

Yup, I use that too. I don't mind paying the $20ish per year for the extra effects either.

Kim said...

Love, love, love picnik. It is very addictive and has completely changed my photos.

amylouwhosews said...

photo editing is something I don't spend enough time on. Oh wait, did I say time? That's right. That thing I don't have any of... oh well! ;)

I hear market is in SLC next spring. I think I'm coming!

Faund Images said...

Nice job, V! :o)
call me some time. Want to know what you thought of "MockingJay"!

Anonymous said...

Thanks!! It's fun and I was very much needing something like this!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tips, I have been debating about picnik and you helped me choose. I would love to know what you did to get the effect at top of post with the 2 boys and the green trees in backround. The trees look nice and blurry so the boys stand out but they have almost a brush stroke look. Did you do that with picnik or depth of field with camera? Sorry its so long! Just found your blog, love it so far!

Marci said...

ahhh i am so jealous you went to powell.
this is the perfect time of year there....
i'm sorry you are sore though...it sucks getting old, huh? lol you are still a spring chicken girlie.

sula said...

Great tips, thank you! Just found your site and I've greatly enjoyed browsing around and getting inspired (the flower baby quilt is absolutely darling!).

tahel (quiltmebaby) said...

Hi first thanks for the great tips, i always like you pic, and its good to read about it! your blog is so lovely !
Tahnks againe
Tahel from Israel

Wedding Wilmington said...

Thanks for sharing such nice tips here. Keep up the good work. All the best.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin