Wednesday, June 25, 2008

tutorial::easiest apron to make (and cute!)


this apron that i'm going to show you is super easy and super fast. it's made from a pretty dish towel. buy your dish towel (mine were on clearance for $1.50 each) this one measures 18 inches by 28 inches (rectangle towels only)
fold up your towel just like the picture (in the middle fold up and then fold down halfway again)

press your towel for good creases
pin your sides down...
and sew each side down of the towel where you folded it together (this will make one big pocket in the front)


next you want to sew to make three pockets total, so sew two lines on you big pocket to make three equal sized pockets.
now to make the apron tie cut off salvage of fabric...
i then measured my waist doubled it and added 30 inches (so the the tie would go around my waist and tie in the front and have enough to have the ties hang a little) and i cut the width to 4 inches wide (you can make it bigger for a wider tie)


sew right sides together and turn inside out ( i think this is what took the longest!)
fold you ends in and sew them
next you are going to pin your finished tie onto your apron (fold in half the tie so you know exactly where the middle of the tie is!)


sew the top and bottom of the tie onto your apron...like these two pictures


VIOLA! you got yourself a super cute apron!!
(i'll put this on my side bar under tutorials if you want to come back to it in the future!) happy apron making!!


15 comments:

Jennifer Never said...

I love the spoon you put in the little pocket there! How did you get so dang cool??! I love it! Thanks.

haley said...

i have to teach an apron class in a couple of weeks, do you mind if i borrow your idea???

Rachel Holloway said...

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! Super cute skirt and what a great idea!

Marci said...

super cute lady...where did you get that flowered fabric? if you say it's an old sheet from di i'm just gonna laugh.

Marci said...

okay duh, i read the first little line and it told me what that fabric was. i just looked at the pictures before i read....

girlsmama said...

Way cute! Maybe I'll teach it for enrichment!

Marie said...

Super cute!

laura.elizabeth said...

I am an apron lover and an absolute non sewer- so this is perfect for me! Thanks for sharing. I also love it because we can't get fabric by the yard in Italy but we certainly can get hand towels!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love this apron - I just bought 4 new red and white tea towels so this will be what I do with them. I bought 2 vintage aprons this week - can't wait to use them to make a pattern. blessings, marlene

Kristin Sellars said...

Great idea! Can't wait to try one!

Cutzi said...

I know this was from a long time ago but I just recently found your blog and made a couple of these for Mother's Day. One question - was your tie a total of 8 inches wide before you sewed it or a total of 4 making your finished tie less than 2" inches wide? I made mine a total of 4" and then folded in in half and sewed it. After I did it I kind of wished it was a little wider so I thought I'd ask what you did. I studied the picture but couldn't tell for sure. Thanks!

Cutzi said...

Never mind - I just looked at your pictures a little more closely and realized as you were cutting that your total width was four inches under your ruler. Sorry! Thanks though! They turned out adorably and my mom loved hers!

Anonymous said...

This apron is so cute! Thank you so much for sharing all of your sewing ideas I added your button to my blog and love visiting your blog! I have not done any sewing for sometime but am really getting the bug to start again. This may be just the perfect project:)

Megan said...

I found a different tutorial for a tea towel apron, but it has the pockets at the top of the skirt! I love your idea! I am going to give it a whirl! Oh and another fun twist is using ribbon for the tie! Even easier!

Gen said...

Good day Vanessa! I posted a link to this tutorial on my blog this week. Please come visit. I hope you like it!
http://cabinfeveredgem.blogspot.com/2011/11/dishing-it-out.html

Thanks for inspiring me to sew!... even just the simple stuff. Gotta start somewhere right?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin