Wednesday, May 30, 2012

V and Co: at spring market 2012

 summer is in full swing over here and i am working on small amount of time in between noisemakers needing something or needing to be redirected. :) (currently im on my couch with noisemaker's #3 feet up in the air arguing across my lap (and laptop) with the girl noisemaker about speaking spanish and french. i don't really know what they are talking about nor do i pretend that at the moment i want to touch that with a ten foot pole, or in my case lift my eyes and deal with it)

so here's a quick version of my quilt corner experience. it started on wednesday driving down to kansas city and then getting there and setting up. the heat was brutal in there setting up, i wasnt feeling that great and i think the heat was a little push for the need to buy some cleratin for the allergy relief i was looking for.
thursday was spent in meetings and schoolhouse.

 friday was when it all kind of became real. this is me standing on the floor of market in my little corner.
 the allergy thing got worse enough to make me want to squeeze my head to relieve some of the stuffiness going on in there, and i had some kind of sexy low voice thing that came with it. pretty sure i sounded like i should have been singing in a smoky lounge with the stage name of "Star" but you do what you need to do and i "sexy" talked all day long friday through sunday. maybe it helped my sales. don't know...
 i got to sign my book at the moda booth which was lots of fun. even if i forgot how to sign my last name for a minute (pretty sure the cleratin was wearing off by that time!)
i made a few pillows to demonstrate and show off some of the fun texture stuff we do in my book and in my craftsy class (dude, we have over 1,700 students in the class! whoot!!!)
and the faux pleated pillow can be found here

and i wanted to show off just how cool the ombre dots were in the line and how easy it would be to use it as a skirt for yourself,or in adorable poofs!

 and as cute dresses and skirts for little girls (top right hand side behind the lame-o trying to do a sexy pose to go with her sexy voice = fail...nope more like epic fail.) THANK YOU AMY who made the cute dresses for me. :) and the skirt im wearing. :)
 the thing i wanted to do with this line is make sure that it would appeal to a large variety of people. i wanted it to be used for quilts and blankets, but i also wanted people who like to make decor to like it as well, and then of course the people who love apparel and hand bags and accessories.
i love how it all came together.
i hope i can create another line i love as much. ;)
 here's amy of diary of a quilter, hanging out with the 3 monchromatic ombre quilts she made for my booth.
picture via diary of a quilter
just a little over a yard and half of continuous of the ombre fabric will make the top of these chic baby blankets.  and the backing fabric is as well part of my line. tutorial coming in the fall when the fabric comes out. :) that way i don't torture you too much by showing you how to make it without being able to get some of the fabric! :)
picture via in color order
the 2 amy's werent the only ones that helped me make this market happen.  megan (ahem and megan's awesome sheriff of a dad that likes to sew), jeni, and deedee were there to help me the month prior to market as well. these girls helped at market, but they were there when we were sewing up a storm to make the quilts in a weekend, and to test bag patterns, and keep me positive and not overwhelmed. 
and then of course my quilts needed to be quilted and they were shipped off to Darla Padilla, who did a wonderful turn around sometimes in one day a few quilts. :)

so yeah. all of it looked just how i wanted to look. and i had wonderful a bunch of people that helped make that picture happen up there happen, including my wonderful husband that put his life on hold of over a week and kept the house even cleaner than i had it when i left.


here's a few links:
bloom quilt (flowers): pattern by V and Co.
hopscotch quilt (stars): pattern by V and Co.
skirt: free tutorial coming in the fall
chelsea bag:  pattern by V and Co.
pillows: craftsy.com sewing texture with vanessa christenson, and make it sew modern by vanessa chrstenson. (e-book available as well)
ombre quilts: free tutorial coming in the fall

phew!
okay check on kids. they're too quiet for my liking.
we'll talk soon.

53 comments:

*katie said...

So fun! I love those ombre quilts!!

Tennjenny said...

I'm so happy for you. It all looks beautiful, and (IMO) you picked just the right ways to showcase the ombre dot!

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Está tudo tão lindo .Parabéns não é bem a definição da palavra para tudo.

bdaiss said...

I'm not sure I can wait until this fall to get my hands on that fabric...

Mary Claire said...

I can't wait until we can get our hands on your fabric! All the things in your booth just make me want to start sewing! I especially love the quilts, poofs and the Ombré fabric! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Angela said...

I'm not usually one for pillowcase dresses but you have classed them up so much I MUST make one now. The dissolving dot is definitely my favorite print!

Melissa Corry said...

Your line is fabulous!!! I have loved absolutely everything I see :) And that bloom quilts is stunning!!! Thanks for making October that much more exciting for all of us :)

Esch House Quilts said...

This is a fantastic line! Everything in the booth looks amazing. Congratulations!

Lindsay Conner said...

1700 students...! Congratulations to you and Craftsy!

trish said...

OH Gosh. I am soo happy for your Vanessa!! What a gorgeous booth you have and I just love how everything you make looks so fresh and happy!! :o) You had the best help! How fun it must have been creating for you! :o) My son already put in his order for a quilt (sad how long it has taken me to make one for him ... but I knew right away when I saw the ombre, that he would love it and sure enough he does!)!! And timing is perfect, the fabric comes out in October and that is his bday month! yay! :o)
I hope your summer is off to a great start and you are resting from market and your allergies have settled. I lost my voice at the Sewing Summit, so I feel your pain! ;o)
hugs, Trish

Needle little Balance said...

Congrats! Such great work!

Faith Jones said...

Love it all Vanessa! You booth looks so bright and happy, definitely a place where I'd want to hang out. :)

Christine said...

Love the poofs! Do you have a pattern for them?

Cherie said...

Awesome pictures! your booth looks amazing! I wish I could have been there in person to see it =D

Anonymous said...

Everything is gorgeous, the colors are beautiful as are your creations. Congrats.

Unknown said...

I've never really wanted to make clothes before. I'm a quilty kind of gal....that is until I saw that skirt....in THAT fabric. That tutorial can't come soon enough. Also, I'm headed over to Craftsy now to sign up for your class! I haven't been so excited about a new fabric line in a while. Can't wait to pet a big ol bundle of your fabric!!!

Dorian said...

I love this line Vanessa! Can't wait to get my hands on some. That flower quilt is beautiful and girl dresses are SO cute! Great job!!

kokina said...

Vanessa,
your quilt is a masterpiece!

LeAnn said...

So cool! Looks like lots and lots of work! AmyLouWho is my IRL friend's friend. :) Who needs six degrees of seperation?! I feel like I know you personally. ha ha

Cindy said...

Your booth was one of the prettiest at Market. Can't wait for the fabric to come out!

Book Junkie said...

LOVE it all! Are you going to have a pattern for the skirt Amy made too?

Jen said...

I love love love love love and more love all of your ombre, and everything else! I can't wait!!!!

Rachelle said...

Loving that whole post; everything looks great.

Pinky said...

Just have to say that I LOVED your booth, and I can't wait to get my hands on Simply Colour! It's all just gorgeous, and I love the bright, fun vibe tied in with the minimalist stylishness. Just fantastic!

able mabel said...

looks like it was a good time!

mascanlon said...

The booth is gorgeous, the fabric to die for and your smile (claritin or not) says it all! Congratulations Vanessa!

justacraftymother said...

I can not tell you how much I LOVE, isn;t even a strong enough word, your new line!!! I am drooling and feel like my 4 year old this past Christmas!! Congratulations! I can not wait for your like to come out, and other amazing lines to follow. You have been my favorite booth that I have seen from all the blog posts!!! Kerri

Caryn said...

I was in my LQS yesterday (The Quiltted Moose) and they shared that they'll be receiving your line. I may have squealed with excitement! I'm really looking forward to see those colors in person!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I'm SO excited for your fabric to come to the stores!!! As in I want to buy every bolt of it and have it forever it looks so awesome! Just thought you should know. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing, totally worth all the hard work. Love your grey dress to, very cute.
Jess

Corrie said...

I love it all and can't wait to get my hands on it, especially the chevrons for quilt backs! genius

and how cute do you look in your stand! adorable!

well done, I can't imagine how much hard work it was to get to that stage:)

Corrie:)

janequiltsslowly said...

Ok, now I have to save the birthday money (coming in June) to stock up on this fabric. The booth was wonderful. All the projects look really fun. I wish I had a little girl to make a dress for . . . does that dress pattern come in grown up sizes.

Franco said...

Your fabric is gorgeous!!

Miwako said...

I love this line! Looks like really good line for spring/summer stuff. Too bad that we have to wait till fall. : (

Shannon said...

Wow, pretty impressive! Congratulations on a great looking booth and what you have accomplished so far. Love your new quilt pattern.

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

I am still so excited about your fabric Vanessa! I actually have a little project in the works with it right now! :)

Funky Kim said...

The bloom quilt is on my list of things to do!

Marci said...

lovin the poufs lady...and the sexy pose.:D

Line said...

I'm always amazed at how cool everything you make looks. i wish I ahd such an eye for transforming fabric into such beauties...
And since YOU look so lovely as well, a stupid question: did you make this green necklace? would it be too much to ask how many pearls each string has?
I can never look as feminine & find what jewellery to wear with a plain crew neck t-shirt, so maybe with a little help from you...?
Thanks for sharing all this!
linedupuy(at)hotmail(dot)fr

Leigh Anne said...

I can't wait to get my hands on some of your fabric...your booth turned out sooo chic! Wish I could have seen it in person :)

bethanndodd said...

This is just so exciting!!! SO happy for you after the uphill journey you and the fam have had over the last year or so. I cannot wait to get my hands on your line (I am already making space for it!). Congrats to you!!
Smiles~Beth

Mindy said...

I love the bright happy colors! You look great, V!

April said...

Your booth was even more beautiful in person. Congrats on a SMASHING success! Can't wait to make my own skirt. :)
xoxo
April

Lindsey said...

Vanessa your fabric line is stinkin awesome. Seriously. I just wish I didn't have to wait till October to see it myself! You should be so proud of yourself!

Michele said...

This all looks amazing. So fun and bright. I love the pillowcase dresses. Do you have a pattern for them? I need a size 3-4 T. that would be great!

Sweet Sapling said...

Love this fabric line! It's so gorgeous!! Can't wait to make some beautiful skirts with it!

pinksuedeshoe said...

um, so in rockstar terms I think you are like, head rockstar. Yeah, because *that* is what all the cool kids are saying these days. I love your booth, love your fabric and i can't WAIT to get it in! (Did I tell you the owner of the little shop I work at asked me if I'd help her order fabric. Because she doesn't have a single clue what my generation is interested in..... I maybe kind of freaked out. Then made a list :)

Anonymous said...

Hello from Brazil! Your fabric and your projects are just beautiful! I'm in your Craftsy class and am enjoying the videos. You are very inspiring! Great job!

Sewing Princess said...

I wish i could get your fabric right now! woul be perfect for summer well done Vanessa

amylouwhosews said...

awww! I missed this post! I'm going to lift a couple pics for the post I'm doing, with credit of course. :) And I'm planning on a little {not a} tutorial on how I did the skirts. :)

You are awesome. I want to move into your booth and take a nap.

amylouwhosews said...

I mean the dresses. man, I need a nap.

OliveStreetStudio said...

Love those ombre quilts...fabulous fabric.

Brigitte said...

You really did a great show!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin