Thursday, August 26, 2010

the most wonderful time of the year...

ah yes the most wonderful time of the year.
or so you would think...

yes, this week started out with being one of our last hurrah's of going to the pool.
as the children played and swam and jumped off the high dive, the mothers on the sidelines were a chatter of how we were all ready and done with school shopping and we just couldn't wait to get back onto the natural schedule that school gave our lives. some of us were even a little giddy as to get our "other life" back of eating and talking with friends as we let the younger still left at home children play for a few hours only to go and have the rest of the day to either do errands with only two to four extra little hands grabbing things or to do some extra cleaning or some extra catching up on some AWESOME books that just came out (seriously how awesome IS that series?!!) or catch up on projects that have been put on the back burner for some time. whatever the case the excitement was there. i admit i was one of the ring leaders.

tuesday came and went a little too fast. trying to tie lose ends and such things.

wednesday was spent at the pool with the knowledge that this in fact would be it till the weekends if we got around to coming at all...

wednesday night the boys got haircuts, clothes were laid out, and alarm clocks were dusted off and set.

a nervous excitement was all around the house. and it was hard to get everyone to quiet down enough to fall asleep for a while. ahem even me..."imagine all three boys in school...i'll get so much done! and then katie later on in a couple of months two times a week." *big grin*

then the morning of...
i get breakfast ready after my early morning walk, scriptures are read and prayers are had. groomed boys are all ready a few minutes too early and are chomping at the bit to get going.
"MOM! we're going to be late!!!"
"no you are not, quit it and smile for me!"
this is the best picture by far that i got from them as threats were made on my end that we could do it there or we could do it in front of their class WITH their teachers as their friends watched.

that's right I WON.

"is that it? did you get it?" boys asked
no faster as i said "ye...s"
katie and i were left in the dust.
that's right even my 1st grader was gone.
i stood there a little lost. then one little cute girl pulled on my hand and asked me where the 1st grade was. i started to show her the way and then another one asked do you know where 1st grade was.

i ended up with a couple of cute little people following me to first grade.

and well that's when it started to happened.
as i turned the corner i saw my first grader sitting quietly in the front row.
*BIG GRIN* twitter of the stomach...
oh geez i'm okay.
we waved he waved back...

as we waited around and started working on the bulletin boards to get them up to speed in the hallways, the bells ring and all is quiet. we moms got busy working in the hall all happy and getting ready for the pep rally we were going to support and help out with.

as the time neared, and we started cheering and greeting the kids in the gym...the second twang of emotion hit.

what in the...? i'm EXCITED remember?!!!

as my kids' classes come in and the cheering continues i've gone from a completely excited mom to get her kids in school to itchy eyes, twitching nose, trying to hold in the flow that is about to happen to a cotton-headed ninny-muggins with tears streaming down her face.

my friend looks at me and asks "vanessa are you okay?"
i bob my head up and down and then side to side.
"NOPE. not one bit. i'm such a dork."
*big huge pathetic grin*

yup and there you have it.
cool confident can't wait to get those boogers i call my children out the door on to the next school year on monday to a bawling mess of a loser by thursday morning at 9 am.

after the mini meltdown of 4.5 seconds...katie and i went to the grocery store and we got drinks and chocolate.

only way to handle the first day of school if you ask me.
now...onto figuring out life again with a little too much extra time on my hands.

27 comments:

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

What a cute picture of your three boys. Handsome little guys. :) I always have mixed emotions about my kids starting school. Like this year, I am so looking forward to them not being home 24/7 and I'm excited for a new school year with new experiences for them. But on the other hand, I am going to miss the lazy days of summer and having so much time with my kids. School starts for us on the 7th.

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

Have a blast with that book! I started and finished it yesterday once the kids were down to sleep for the night. Let me know what you think:)

Wendy said...

Thank you for sharing that even super-duper, uber cool moms cry too! Took my 6 yr old to meet her teacher last night (she starts K-garten Monday) and it was decided the 4 yr old will need to be sent to pre-school 2 days a week because she can't handle being home alone without her sister. I was just getting used to being without the first everyday and now I'll be alone more than I thought. I'm not dealing with it yet. ... Chocolate and drinks ... sounds good. I'll remember that!

Natalie said...

omg I am a HUGE Hunger Games fan and so is my husband. We took turns reading it to each other because neither of us could wait to read it. We just got our copy in the mail but haven't started reading because of work. I can't wait to get started!!

The Marlatt's said...

Vanessa you are so cool!! I was the same way this year and I get 3 hours of absolute free time everyday. The emotion just shows what a great mamma you are!!

Clothed in Scarlet said...

wow! you make me smile and eyes tear up at the same time ;0) just yesterday the last of my three girls started her senior year in high school. and i know i sound like every other older mom, but where did the time go??? not that i would want to do some of that over but wow! thanks for sharing sarah

bethanndodd said...

Such a sweet pic of the boys! I imagine that is the picture I will be getting of my 3 boys next year when they are all in elementary school (except I won't have a sweet little one to keep me company during the day anymore). Tears will fall for sure! Hope the boys had a great first day. I am sure you will find a way to fill that extra time soone ;o).

amy smart said...

Aahhh . . . ditto.

And that series IS awesome. I told myself the day the kids went back to school I would go to Costco and buy my own copy and . . . THEY WERE ALREADY SOLD OUT! The agony. I guess I have to turn to Amazon.

MegJill said...

Can't wait to start the book!!! We pre-ordered it on Amazon but it just came today. Don't know if I should start tonight and not sleep any or wait until morning. Hmmm.
Good luck with school for the kids and free time for yourself!

Tiff said...

OMG you crack me up! I read your subject and saw your picture and started laughing!

Unknown said...

I just finished Mockingjay... I've been waiting all summer for it! I teach 7th and 8th grade Language Arts and they are the hottest books in middle school right now!

Aaron and Kristi said...

That's always the way it is! I am having bittersweet feelings about both my girls starting school next week, and just me and the little man hanging out all day... :/
The book is pretty fab though, (I started and finished already too!) and a good book and chocolate can make any day better!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

i love the "threat" you used to get the photo... and 2 1/2 smiles isn't a bad result! i wonder what my mom did to get us to smile back in the day... hmmm

Elisabeth said...

Believe me, it only gets worse. Wait until the first one goes to scout camp for a week. My oldest is going to be a senior- that means one year until college, then the worst goodbye- the mission!! Don't get me wrong, I'll be excited for him, but it's terrible for me the mom left behind. Thank goodness my youngest is only 3, otherwise I couldn't handle it at all!

Sherry Williams said...

i know exactly what you mean. i have been the SAME way this week...and every first week of school in years past. i start feeling emotional and weak a few days before, saying my belly aches and what not...and then my strong handsome blabbermouth husband grabs me, looks me in the eyes and tells me to suck it up and get through this. he smiles and reminds me i do this every year...(along with every minor and major milestone of their lives). i can't help it. they drive me crazy--seriously i have eye twitches--but i am overwhelmed with love and heartache at each moment they grow bigger and become more of their own person.
thanks for sharing. i read a very beautiful touching story of a mom taking her daughter to collge yesterday--(annamariahorner)had me sobbing. it seems we are all doing the same thing. :)

lisaghowie said...

That's exactly how I feel each year on the first day. Very bittersweet, and always so proud of my children. Thanks for sharing.

girlsmama said...

I was okay with 4th & 2nd grader. K will kill me on Tuesday.

Crystal Hendrix said...

Cute boys!!! I love the threat!!! Mine are only in 2nd and 1st, and they have autism so hopefully they never get to the point where they don't want Mommy to take pictures or give kisses or hugs goodbye!!! BUT I just LOVE the threat!!!! Priceless!!!

Amy DeCesare said...

I can relate, and I know lots of other moms who had exactly the same range of emotions going! Just be glad they didn't ask you to read "The Kissing Hand" out loud to the class!!! Our principal read it to the new kindergarten moms for orientation, and I almost had a nervous breakdown on the spot! (I'm fine now.)

prairiegirl said...

I've always gotten teary on the first day of school. Something about dropping the kids off or seeing them on to the school bus does it to me everytime. (and I've had years to get over it now! My two oldest are done highschool already!)

Loved your post - and the picture of your boys!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Enjoy the peace and quiet sewing!!! You did good Mom!! Jenn

Denise :) said...

Good gravy; you told that so well, I've got tears streaming down my face just from reading! And it's been five years since I sent anyone off to grade school! Blessings to you! :)

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

I never did hear..How dod the playground go for the kids school? Are we done w/ box tops?

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Oh I will be crying too...you are such a good fun mom.

Love the picture. Now it just you and your little lady all day. What a new and fun adjustment.

amylouwhosews said...

this is totally going to be me. glad I'm in good company!

Lisa said...

Awww. I feel your pain. A month ago I was ready. I felt like it was inevitable so why not just get on with it. Now it's two days a way and what I wouldn't give for another month! It seems that life moves to fast now and the kids grow too quickly. Big ((HUG)) from one weepy mama to the other!

Unknown said...

too funny! i just did a post on my kiddos first day and gave it the same exact title! great minds and all that... :o)
i guess it's just the song that goes through a momma's head as she ships 'em out the door hehehe

Blog Widget by LinkWithin