Friday, August 13, 2010

coming together

i mentioned a while a go that i was re-decorating. trying to bring a more "fresh" look. a little more modern but still country loft. i don't know if that's what i've acomplished but whatever the case i like it more and more as i S-L-O-W-L-Y change things as i make them.
this little pillow was made using my heat transfer tutorial and using the silhouette to cut out my design.
when i finished it i kept thinking "hmm wouldn't that make a cute bottom half of a skirt for a little girl? i may just try it out using my bandana skirt tutorial.

see my new dandelion spray painted custom art i made with my silhouette? yup it's being displayed up above my piano and it gives me a great piece of art with clean lines. (ahem, also notice the little monkey on the table making a somersault into my picture? a kid threw it right as i was taking a picture. i caught it in the shot as it was sliding across at full speed. it's a miracle i don't have more things broken on a more regular basis. scratch that. i DO have things broken on a regular basis. this summer we've had hardly any breaks because we've been at the pool every day. knock on wood i just jinxed myself...coming up soon a post on how saying you haven't had anything broken in a while will make the "break things in your house" gods get angry because you got cocky...)
the next big change was that round mirror over on the left side. i have been eyeing magazines and have absolutely fallen in love with round mirrors. so when i was up in the big city last weekend, i just happened to take the kiddos to ROSS dress for less to see if there were any shoes or clothes for them there...we by chance went by the home section and this mirror was tucked in the back. i was ecstatic! the price on it was $39.99. which is still a good bargain, but i noticed that the back had a rip and looked to see if i could find another mirror just the same. there was not another one like it. so i took it up and thought what the heck...i asked the cashier if she could give me a discount because there was a rip and it was the only one. she gave me 25% off the thing and i walked away paying only $30 for that lovely huge mirror. i think it adds a great feel to the room.
yeah i think it's coming along quite nicely.
have a great friday the 13th!

28 comments:

chris said...

Thanks for the inspiration, V. We're getting ready to move which means a fresh start, and I am looking for some new ideas. Love it!

Anna said...

so cute vanessa! I love the new look you're going for. I'm slowly decorating things around here for the first time, second time around for other rooms. It's hard because my tastes have changed over the years. Slowly but surely, right?!

The Dark Family said...

WOW! What a great look! I know this is a random comment, but as I was looking at your picture with the cute sliding monkey... I noticed that we have the SAME EXACT piano! I've never seen another one like it! Like same scroll-y things on the front and everything! Sorry random comment, I know... but that's ok. Yay for piano twins! haha.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Your room is looking so sweet. I love the way you are using the dark and lights. Your round mirror looks really great.

hugs
Sissie

NOTyourrunofthemill said...

Great price on the mirror! I paid $59 for mine. Except I have a hanging 'hang-up', it is still leaning against the wall!

Unknown said...

I love the pillow! Simple and graphic. And I love round mirrors, too.

Anonymous said...

I love the look!!! I would love to get you over for a coffee and some advice on how to bring in a little style to our new lounge....:)

Megan Gunyan said...

I agree--the round mirror adds a great feel to the room. Can't explain it because I'm not a designer, but I would love to hang out in there just because of that mirror. ;)- Love your changes!

I'd love for you to check out my blog for a fun giveaway!
alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

it's such a treat to see your room evolve from when I first starting coming by your blog. Love all that you do and share with us all.

bethanndodd said...

I love it all! It's so nice to see that you actually use the things that you create! Now sit down and enjoy the view :o).

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

It's all coming together very nicely. That mirror is fab. The room looks great!

Free Art Printables said...

It looks great! I love the colors!!!

Emma said...

I was admiring your tranquil room until I read about the monkey. Our lives are so similar aross the world!

Gene Black said...

In the very first picture I thought "that looks like it was done on the silhouette!" Ha, I started reading and I was right.


Then I immediately noticed your lovely old piano. Do you play? Do you know much about the piano? It looks like an upright grand to me.

Brianna said...

Your room looks gorgeous! It makes it so yours as well because you have made so much in it as well.

Kat said...

I agree, I think it's turned out very well. There's still that casual feel, yet polished & revived. Oh, yes the mirror IS great!
♥ - Kat.

Marci said...

holy cow! that is a huge change!!
lookin good...especially the monkey.;D

Becky said...

Your home is lovely. I'm loving the blue boxes or chest under the goose in the bottom picture. Such a pretty color. Love it.

Dogwood said...

beautiful just beautiful. i really love that room. i will be over to just sit and relax there! hehe...dogwood

Cara said...

Ooooo this room looks fab!! You know what, we are doing a total house make over and can't agree on a style, but this is a total marriage of DH's and my styles. Too bad I couldn't hire you to help decorate ;)

Oh and I just realised now that yesterday was Friday the 13th!! LOL, No wonder the baby was cranky and wouldn't nap :P

Caitlin said...

Did you make the silhouettes that are in the picture with the round mirror? I love silhouettes an recently made my own of our family to go on the wall in our dining room.

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

I love the relaxed feel of it! :)

~Kim

Andrea said...

I love your style. Very fresh.
I am wishing for a silhouette for Christmas.

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

i love the armoir. If I had the space in my living room, I would totally get one. I like how everything is coming together!

Micki said...

I love how you decorated that room. I would love to play that piano!
Micki

amy smart said...

I love it all! That mirror is the bomb. You totally scored!

CitricSugar said...

It looks just gorgeous. I love your style - elegant but not stuffy, detailed but not fussy.

Just gorgeous.

Crystal Hendrix said...

Very nice!! I just wonder how you can keep it so nice with little kids! :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin