Wednesday, January 21, 2009

things i love...

decorating with plates.
this one is in my daughter's bedroom and is my most favorite plate that i own. it's enamelware with little flowers on it. if anyone knows where i can get any more i will forever love you!!! i found this one around a year ago and i thought i had died or that i was on some tv show where they totally make a fool of you... but nope, it was for real, and i had tears when i turned it over and i read "75 cents" please, if anyone out there has any info or know where i can get anymore....PLEASE CONTACT ME...okay enough... onto the rest of the post.
plates... they are everywhere you look, in magazines, blogs, and displays. i've been in love with decorating with plates since we bought our first little townhouse way back when and we had no money to spare other than to pay for food and gas and the essentials. i decided i loved how plates looked on my wall especially when they were so cheap because they were in my cupboards.since then my collection has expanded from using my plates (we kept having more kids who needed to use plates to eat, go figure) to scouring second had stores and finding the perfect plate to go up on my wall or to be displayed somewhere...i can't get enough it seems. and since having my little girl it seems to of magnified the problem, er...love of plates for decorating. she has quite a few in her room, these are just a few of them.
there isn't a room in my house (minus the boys' room) that doesn't have a plate in it. GI Joe husband thinks it silly, but he doesn't press the issue too much except to say "that's just weird, but whatever." that's right you have no say in the matter.

there are so many plates out there floating around, from old english china to enamelware and they are just begging to be snatched up and displayed!

20 comments:

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

I love plates too, but don't have too many up...gotta change that!! I have 2 black and white toile plates in our bathroom. Great for the small narrow walls. Thanks for the comment too. I'm glad I started blogging, but it sure is addicting!
~Karen~

sherri said...

Your plates look great! One quick question, do you have suggestions for hanging options that don't use the plate rack? I can't really see the "teeth" on your green rimmed plate and I find that a much cleaner look than the standard brassish plate hangers.

V and Co. said...

my "green rimmed" one actually was found with a "plate tag" that adhered by either glue of some sort or some kind of bonding stuff, i know you can still buy them as to where i do not know, obviously because all my other ones have the yucky brassy looking plate holders! but i'll try to find out!

jabeybaby said...

I love the way you decorate, the plates are great!

Cannon Clan said...

i bought plates for maia's room at a second hand store, 3 for 25 cents and then i put them on a shelf i hung becuase i was to excited to wait till the hubby was home and everything fell and broke. maia and i were so sad. we will have to keep looking.

Anonymous said...

I love plates too. I found some super cute vintage looking ones at Tai Pan awhile ago for pretty cheap and went nuts. They are all over in my dining room and living room. I should branch out and start searching DI for more.

Sally said...

I love your plate decorating, I love all your decorating!

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

your plates look very nice on the walls... no matter what GI Joe says! ha ha
I really love the first one with the little flowers. Maybe I need to pay more attention to the dinnerware section at Goodwill the next time I'm there.

Marci said...

i just have a dish 'thing'. any kind of dish but especially plates, glasses, serving dishes...you get the point.
are you trying to torture me by showing your cute house? i can't wait to see it in person...stalker, i know!

Inspired Kara said...

I love the blue and white one!

Pictures with the new camera are looking fab!

Rachel Holloway said...

Oh V---so beautiful. I have looked and looked at all sorts of gorgeous plates and I WANT to do this kind of thing...but I have no idea how to hang them. I am curious to see how you do it...

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Oh my gosh! I love the first plate. I'm obsessed with decorating with dishes. Who knew? They're just sitting there in the cupboards! Love your blog, love everything!
-Jill

Aubrey said...

I really like the way you've decorated with plates--looks more doable than other ways I've seen. That flowered plate you have looks similar to the pattern I have on a whole box of china except the outline is silver. I don't use it and I think I finally convinced my husband to let me put it in the yard sale pile for next summer.

Where did you find that cute letter "k"? I looked everywhere up here (well, in two towns) for lower-cased, cute wooden letters and only found little dinky okay-looking letters at Michaels in Layton. I wanted bigger and really, really cute ones like yours. Maybe I'm the only idiot who doesn't look online much and that would solve my searching-for-the-perfect-thing problem.

Brandy said...

I love the little display in your daughters room with your FAVORITE plate and the rack - I really love the frame with her initial on it. Where did you find such a cute frame?! LOVE the plates. We still rent - so I just hate decorating, but plates can EASILY travel to our next home.. I might have to start decorating my home now!

Gayle said...

I looked on ebay for your plates - couldn't find PLATES, but I found these that are the same design:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Floral-Enamelware-Bowls-M-Kamenstein-Set-of-2_W0QQitemZ180239547656QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

and this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kamenstein-Enamelware-Colander-White-Red-Blue-Floral_W0QQitemZ190122196941QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

V and Co. said...

ah! thanks gail!!!

V and Co. said...

btw the letter was found at a little store called "the wood connection" it's in salt lake city and it's a unfinished wood company, also the frame is from there as well, i just painted them and added some scrapbook paper to the background!

Aimee said...

Beautiful plates! My dad buys pieces to fill a set of dishes he has on ebay...try searching the name on the back of the plate. Or there is some place in SLC that Jake's aunt told me about...I've been working on weeks trying to get her to tell me the name again. I'll let you know when I find out!

Sandy said...

I want you to know that my MIL recently showed me if a huge box of random plates she'd gotten at a garage sale for a buck and asked if I wanted any -- normally I would have said "No, what would I do with those?" BUT I thought of your cute decorating ideas and picked out a few! I ended up with 3 matching blue delft (?) that are currently on a graduated plate stand with my fruit on them. I didn't put any on the walls...but I definitely used your ideas for the inspiration and I love how it looks!

THANKS!

Anonymous said...

I'm lovin' your blog! I just subscribed! You are so creative!
-Kim

Blog Widget by LinkWithin