Thursday, September 20, 2012

V and Co: how to: make a mini fabric pumpkin


about a week ago I was working on a project (actually, I was not using a seam ripper and using my little scissors to take out a seam) and one of my noisemakers asked me a question in the middle of it. As I looked up somehow the thread holding my pincushion strawberry onto my little scissors got in between the blades and “snip” I looked down right as the strawberry fell and bounced away from me pathetically a few feet away.

“NO! oh man REALLY? Poop. poop.poop...” to which my kid said "mom, stop it with the poop."
yeah yeah, i know.
anyways, for a few days I didn’t have anything on my little scissors, and I kept losing them. and losing them. it got a little annoying. I didn’t realize how important that little strawberry was.

So I sought out to make another one. BUT I was feeling a little on the festive side so I thought why the heck not make a tiny little pumpkin.

okay so here's what we need to make this little scissor charm:
-1 square at 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" (note if you want a bigger pumpkin to be more of a pincushion that hangs off the scissors then i would suggest going up to 3 1/2" by 3 1/2")
-thread. i used simply color orange from aurifil.
-small scrap of green for the leaves.
-DMC floss (green)
-Fray Check for the leaves
- hot glue gun
-small amount of stuffing needed.


first we are going to make that square into a circle

i just free handed cut around the square (not too much and it doesn't have to be perfect either)

next i got my needle and thread, and i did a running stitch around the whole circle


1. once i made my way around i gently pulled on the thread to create a sort of cup
2. next i got some stuffing and placed it inside the cup.
3. then i gently pulled on the thread all the way and then made sure it wouldn't open up but making a few stitches across the top of the opening.
-next i wanted to make it look more like a pumpkin, so i took my needle and thread and went from the top of the pumpkin and placed the needle and thread through the middle of the bottom of the pumpkin.


-then i repeated

-and repeated
-until i had what looked like a bonafide pumpkin bottom.
-tie off the thread with a know on top.

-next we are going to free hand a few little leaves, and i sealed the fabric by placing fray check around the leaves. place them aside. and heat up the hot glue gun.

-now get a piece of DMC gloss (embroidery floss) and thread it.


-going from the bottom up, thread the DMC floss through the middle of the pumpkin.
-return going back down through the pumpkin leaving a big loop on the top part of the pumpkin.
-unthread the needle

-on the bottom make a know so the floss stays in place.
-do the same to the top part of the pumpkin


next hot glue your little leaves onto the top part of the pumpkin. :
you are done and now you can hang you're adorable little adorning pumpkin off your scissors.
yup, cute and festive.

now to think of something for the winter season...any suggestions???
:)

32 comments:

Vanesa said...

Too darn cute! I gotta run and make one now.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh, No! Not the strawberry!

You know, I would make a snowball for the winter. White, with maybe some fuzzy stuff. Or eyes of coal and a top hat! LOL.

glen

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Bonitinha e eficiente.Tenho um boneco de neve feito a partir de uma latinha,mas de repente pode ser feito com dois destes círculos em tamanhos diferentes,tente aí e post depois.Beijo grande.

janequiltsslowly said...

How about a little star or a bell. Festive! I love your little punkin. :D

Kristy said...

That little pumpkin is so cute! What a great idea. K-

danaeL said...

Absolutely adorable, and makes me want to make stuff for fall!
That strawberry is beautiful...
Lovely blog

Anonymous said...

it's so cute and seems to be easy to do. I think I'll try !!
Thanks for give us the idea ; )

Elisabeth said...

Very cute pumpkin. How about a little snowman or santa hat for winter?

Johanna said...

The pumpkin is too cute! Hey, you have those polka dot scissors too? Well, I should say I had some but somehow, my daughter has them now!

Angela {fussycut} said...

Ca-ute!!!

Amy DeCesare said...

That is so sweet, and so do-able! Maybe a Christmas tree for winter? I was going to say snowman, but someone already thought of that...a good idea.

Kar said...

So cute!

Kristyne said...

Dude. I'm dying here from the impossibly tiny cuteness of that sweet little pumpkin. You are a genius. GENIUS!

Unknown said...

Such a cute pumpkin!
Stocking, snowman, candy cane, star, bell, all sounds cute and Christmassy! ;)

Anonymous said...

You could make a one mitten or a set of mittens for winter.

Leigh Anne said...

Great idea! I'm always losing my scissors :) And adorable too!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I have made little snowmen just like this. They are very cute!

Lori Thompson said...

so dang cute, and easy!

tara said...

A sugar plum (whatever one of those looks like)
Love the pumpkin. I'm off to make a patch

Mary W Quilts said...

Sew Cute. I love pumpkins.

Jennifer said...

Too cute! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Very sweet! How about a Christmas pudding, with holly leaves & berries?

Denny1600 said...

Cute! Cute! Cute!

CathyK said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Soooo cute! Thank you for sharing!!!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Also... what the crap you have your own thread now too? Seriously awesome. Are you going to like go all Hollywoodesque on us and have your own line of scissors and pins and buttons. Because that would be seriously cool. :)

pinksuedeshoe said...

Blerg. My first comment didn't make it. I said "I never thought I'd see the day that you and your CA/Beach/Summer loving heart would be getting so excited for winter before Fall had even officially arrived." Me on the other hand, I've been missing winter and coldness and every living thing frozen solid for two years now. Also, my allergies are killing me this week, so every living thing frozen solid sounds kind of like heaven.

(Maybe you'll remember how much you love winter and you'll end up with a beach ball on there from Thanksgiving until March :)

Elsa said...

Loving this little pumpkin and the simplicity of putting it together! It would look cute with some nice felted wool too ~ I've got lots of that!
Thanks for the tutorial!

Unknown said...

Oh, so cute and festive! My first time to your blog and loving this idea. I'll have to look around and find some more...

FlourishingPalms said...

Definitely a snowman. Or a shovel.

jemfl said...

Thanks for the pumpkin idea! Always losing scissors too. How about holly
leaves w/ berries.

Ulla's Quilt World said...

That is so lovely idea! :)
Thank you so much for your lovely blog!
www.quiltworld2.blogspot.fi
Hugs, Ulla

Anonymous said...

Love the little pumpkin!! For winter, I would make a little Christmas tree with ornaments, etc. A sort-of upside down strawberry I guess! =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin