Friday, June 11, 2010

tutorial: how to make a star for a quilt



because i keep getting people excitedly showing me their first quilts due to my how to make a pinwheel tutorial and then my nine patch tutorial, i've decided that there are a lot of us out there that learn the same way. through step by step pictures.
and while quilting in general looks like a scary thing...it's not really. now, i don't think of myself as an awesome quilter...nope, i pretty much still think of myself as an average quilter still needing to learn a lot. but at least this way i can help out those of you that have been putting quilting on the side burner because you don't really have anyone to teach you.
well here you go.
another basic block, one of my favorites.
the quilt star.
what you will need for this block (which will measure 10 1/2" by 10 1/2" finished 10 by 10)
*1 main square measured at 5 1/2 by 5 1/2 inches
*4 white squares measured at 3 by 3 inches
*8 color squares (for this project i used the same color and fabric as my main square but you could do whatever color of fabric you like) measured at 3 by 3 inches
*4 white rectangles measured at 3 by 5 1/2 inches
*** use a 1/4 inch seam allowance for this project.
first thing we are going to do is draw a line down the the middle of your square from one point to the other point on the wrong side of your fabric.
do this for all your colored squares.
next we are getting the white rectangles and placing colored squares right sides together (with your drawn line facing you.) on one side of each of your white triangles
sew on your drawn line
and then continue onto the next block and the next block and so forth. leaving them "chained" together by the thread. this saves time and saves thread in your bobbin!
once all your squares are sewn on your rectangles, you can then cut the thread in between them.
next cut your excess off the square you just sewed on. just like the picture above.
open up and press with an iron
press your seams towards the colored block. (so they won't show through in the white of your quilt) now the first half of your rectangle is done.
next you need to gather up the last four colored blocks and do exactly the same as you did on the first side. (make sure you're sewing makes a point in the middle of your rectangle)
and once again cut off the excess of the square and press your seams to the color part of your block.
now you have your four points of the star.
next we are going to take the four white squares and two of your finished rectangles.
right sides together place on your rectangle the square. sew your first side, then repeat this for the other side.
open and press your seams with an iron (towards the colored part of your block )
you've just finished your top and bottom of your star block.
can you see it coming along?
get your middle square now.
place right sides together and and sew your left and right side rectangles (the ones withOUT the white squares attached.) to the main square.
press seams, now onto the top and bottom
right sides together sew your top and bottom on to the main square and rectangles.
uh, you just made it my friend. how do you feel?
yield one 10 1/2 by 10 1/2 inch block.
now keep making them till you have enough for a quilt top! how ever big you want it.

you betcha i'm working on making this into a quilt, with a little twist...we'll see how it turns out and how fast i get it done. we're in for some yucky weather...so i may just get some sewing done. we shall see!
come back monday for a link me up party #2. i want to see what you've been working on!
comments closed

25 comments:

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

absolutely awesome! I learnt how to do a pinwheel using your tutorial and am thankful for blogs such as your one for helping me get into the wonderful world of quilting. I am the only young(ish) person in my church to do quilting!
Love Collette xxx

Elisabeth said...

Thanks for the tutorial Vanessa- I've been waiting for this one!! I've been wanting to do a star quilt for my daughter forever, and I made a block to try out but the points didn't match up. I think drawing the line diagonally on the back will help, plus seeing pictures of each step will help me get those points pointy! Also, the pattern that I had used a smaller square but I wanted a bigger middle square to show off more of my big print fabric in each square. We just bought a house and my daughter will have her own room- finally (she's been sharing with us her whole life, and she'll be three in August- kind of sad, I know!) Anyway, so I'm so excited to paint her room pink and make it all girly! Way back even before I was pregnant with her, when I first started quilting, I went crazy and bought a ton of Moda's "Seaside Rose" fabric and that is what I'm going to use to make her a duvet cover plus a quilt. I'm so excited about it, it's pretty much my favorite fabric line ever created. It will probably be a while until I can get this stuff made though, as right now we are painting our butts off at the new house- it needs a ton of work and we've already been working on it for a solid month and it probably won't be ready for a few more weeks. Anyway, your house gives me hope since ours was pretty much as ugly as yours was when you bought it, but now I love your house so it just shows what a transformation that can be made with paint and stuff! Luckily for us there was wood under all the hideous, tobacco saturated dark royal blue carpet in the upstairs!!
Thanks again, and talk to you soon!

Elisabeth

trish said...

*squeal* can you hear me from there? I have wanted to learn this star for.ever! I did not know what it was called and scoured the web trying to locate it.
Thanks so much Vanessa for the tutorial. This would be a perfect pattern for my son's quilt!! I have been saving my husbands plaid dress shirts for one. :o)
Have a great weekend!!
Sincerely ~ Trish

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Good tut but I think this is a sawtooth star?! When I do the flying geese like this I sew another line half an inch from the first and end up with lots of extra HSTs.

.....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies said...

This is wonderful! I am just learning how to sew and your blog posts inspire me!

Anonymous said...

Umm..not sure that this is an ohio star!
But thanks for taking the times to take the pics..

Jeni said...

I have missed these types of wonderful posts by you! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this...I am trying it!!! Thank you

I made your ice cream cake for my litte one's birthday yesterday...it was delish!

Crafty Christina said...

Thank you! I'm one of those people who excitedly showed you my pinwheel quilt based on your tute. I wouldn't have tried it so soon if not for your great instructions!

QuiltNut Creations said...

one of my favorite star blocks. can't wait to see what you've come up with

Amber M. said...

Hey...I think I could do this one after all...

Thanks for teaching me!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

V - you always make it look so easy! Gret tutorial! Love your fab colors too as always. Yucky weather = sewing time! YEAH!! Jenn

V and Co. said...

okay i changed the name from ohio star to quilt star! thanks for letting me know that the ohio star is slightly different! ;) -V

Kari Sweeten said...

V,
I have never tried a star quilt so I will definitely be putting this on my list and adding to my "quilt top" addiction!
THANKS!

Wendy said...

Your tutorial rocks! Isn't it funny how one block and have so many names? ;o) Great job and thank you!! Happy Friday!

Alicia said...

I love when something that looks difficult is actually easy and just takes a bit of time. Thanks for the great tutorial. I love your blog too!
Alicia in CO

Becky said...

Awesome Vanessa! You are such a great teacher! Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial, it's actually made me think I might be able to quilt! Now I just have to find some time and clear out the guest room (otherwise known as the dumping room!)

I love your blog, it makes me smile so often I thought it was about time I stopped stalking your blog, and said hello!

Take care,

a-m x

Southerner said...

Thank you for this tutorial. I have been getting material from items at garage sales and thrift stores- old sheets and fill a bag with clothes for $3 so that I can make some quilts. I have never made one.

Jennifer said...

Wonderful tutorial. So helpful.. Love it!

Dogwood said...

Love, really love it. I might just try it this summer.

I am currently sewing 4 X 6 little oil cloth photo holders with a front flap. Turning out nice. Fun to keep in my purse for showing off my most current photos of my grandkids.

Enjoy your day. Dogwood

Laura said...

This is beautiful. It reminds me of summer.

I'm hosting the 90 Days of Kindness Challenge and I'd love it if you joined me!

Laura @ along for the ride

prashant said...

I'm so excited to paint her room pink and make it all girly!
Banner Advertising Network India

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

What a beautiful tutorial. I love that first photo. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

The pwer of web said...

good tutorial


Adsense Alternative

myBearpaw said...

I am so pleased I found your tutorial! This is so perfect for me as I am about to do my first 'Bee' (Quick Christmas Bee for 5 of us UK bloggers) and have decided to do ohio star blocks in print on a plain background. Your tutorial is so clear! Now all I have to do is post a link to all my 'bee mates'.
Thanks so much!! (and send them the fabric of course...)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin