Saturday, May 8, 2010

what a daughter wants


you know i wasn't the hardest kid to raise. but i wasn't peaches either.
it's amazing how the cycle of life happens in relationships doesn't it? let me try to explain.

when i was little i wanted to emulate my mom. be just like her. she loved to exercise, she loved healthy food. she loved the beach and outdoors.

when i became a teenager i wanted to be just the opposite of her. "i'll never be this overbearing over my daughter!!!" i would yell.

when i was a young mother i wanted my freedom to do my own style of mothering. "mom i know what the books say and it says to do this."

now with a few years under my belt of parenting i want to try to remember some of the things my mother used to do in order to handle situations.

and many times i feel the need to call her to say "i'm sorry that i was such a snot when i did or said_____."

i remember my mom always telling me "you just wait till you have kids of your own." well mom i do, and now i get it. you were just trying to do your best.

so mom i just want to say thanks and to let you know that i'm so happy with how we've grown and matured into our roles from mother and daughter to grandmother and mother. i hope to emulate the love and freedom you have given me (when i've asked for it!) to grow and mature on my own to be the adult and mother and wife that i'm suppose to be. thanks for listening to my needs. i hope to do the same for my kids.
happy mother's day.
say hi to grandma for me too.
:)

17 comments:

Peggy said...

I know exactly what you mean. I am so grateful to my mum for trying her best! i love her so much!

Bonnie said...

Vanessa, you made me cry. Beautiful and so true, every single word...we can all identify! happy Mother's Day. By the way the photo is priceless.

Jennifer said...

When my mom said the "I hope you get a kid like you" line I would always say "That's fine with me!!"

I am now mother to the 3 year old boy version of myself and I feel like sending my mom flowers every day.

LeAnn said...

It's amazing what a little age and experience can do for one's perspective. Happy Mother's Day!!!

Shawn said...

Very sweet,enjoy every moment with your Mom, Happy Mother's Day Vanessa!
PS Very nice and creative blog.

Mindy said...

So so so true... we're all just trying to do our best, even if we fall short sometimes. Great post!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

So very true!! Beautiful post. =D

peaknits said...

My first thought after having my daughter laid in my arms was "I'm sorry, mom" for all of those things I did. Happy Mother's Day!

zippy said...

Very well said V. No matter how many times my dear mama warned me too that my kids would be me X's my husband ten times over, it didn't seem possible until I had kids of my own. Life and learn. : ) Now it's up to me to help the generation I'm raising to improve upon the one before theirs. Happy Mother's Day chica!

sharon said...

i agree i am sending this post to my mom:)

Becky said...

Awesome. I am a total stranger and I love your takes on motherhood even more than I love all your great stuff. :-)

Marci said...

well said miss v.

love your new look up there.

happy mother's day!

Karin van Dam said...

So true. Love that picture by the way.

Happy Mother's day!

mom2three said...

It's funny how none of us are really prepared to be mothers... we have these great role models, and we still just don't understand a thing until we have our own little ones and then suddenly the light goes on.... wonder what it will be like for our daughters?

Rachel Carlson said...

happy mother's day to you sweet girl. you are simply BEAUTIFUL.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

My mother used to say, "Who do you think you are? The Queen of It All or The Queen of England?"

Well, mom, you were wrong.....and I have your answer for you....I am The Queen of It All!

glen/QuiltSwissy

amylouwhosews said...

yep - very well put. And a Happy Mother's Day to you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin