Thursday, May 20, 2010

guest blogger tutorial: allison of cluck cluck sew

Hey there fellow V & Co. readers! Allison here from the site Cluck. Cluck. Sew. While Vanessa is on a plane heading to quilt market (jealous!) I get to man her blog and share a fun tutorial with you. So here goes…..

Today we’re going to make a Petal Pillow. Its very easy, cost me under ten bucks, and took about half an hour to make. Plus it will add lots of summer color (is it summer yet?) to your house.

IMG_4398-1

First you’ll need:

-a little over a 1/2 yard of fabric….19 inches to be exact. You can get away with a half yard if you already have it, just cut your pieces to 18" instead of 19". I used home weight fabric from Joann’s.

- 1/4 yard felt. Buy the good stuff on the bolt and not the cheap sheets in the kids crafts section. The stuff I used is made from recycled plastic bottles and is really stiff and thick. This felt came on a 60" bolt, but if the bolt is smaller you might want to buy a half yard just to be safe.

- a large and small cup (or other circles) for tracing, a large bowl for tracing, a pen, scissors, and cardstock to make your template.

IMG_4316

Trace the rims of your cups onto your cardstock and cut out.

IMG_4320

Pin the templates to your felt and cut out circles. I was able to cut 3-4 circles at a time by folding the felt.

IMG_4325

Cut out roughly 30 large circles, and 20 small circles. You can always use more or less….but more the merrier I always say.

IMG_4328Now cut your circles in half.

IMG_4330

Now your going to cut your fabric into three pieces.

1 large square 19 inches x 19 in. , 1 rectangle 19 in. x 15 in. , and 1 rectangle 19 in. x 12 in.

IMG_4324

On the right side of the 19 in. by 19 in. square, trace a bowl or large plate marking a large circle in the middle. Leave 4-5 inches or so around the edges. (my circle is hard to see in the next pic…squint real hard and you’ll see it!)

IMG_4336

Line up the edge of a large petal along the line you just traced. As you sew the petals on, overlap the petals about a 1/4 inch. Continue sewing around the circle, adding petals.

IMG_4340

When you get near where you started, put a petal in between the previous petals, so they overlap. Then you can start putting petals underneath the previous set. I lined up the straight edges of my petals only 1/4 in. or so underneath the previous petals because I liked them packed in there. Again…the more the merrier and the closer they are the better it will look.

IMG_4344 IMG_4348

If you want extra volume in your petals, you can curve them and fold the edges as you sew to make the petals stand up a little bit. I started curving and bunching them a little bit on the third or fourth row.

IMG_4350

After you’ve done four or five rows of large petals and you’re getting close to the center, you can switch to your small petals. Again, as you get closer to the center you can curve and bunch the straight edge of the petals so they stand up a little and look like real petals. When you get to the center add a couple petals that are good and bunched at the bottom for extra volume.

IMG_4355 IMG_4367

Cut a small circle out of felt about 1 inch, or large enough to cover your edges. Sew down with a few stitches in the center of the flower.

IMG_4377IMG_4379

Your done with the hard part…now lets make your pillow.

Finish the short edges (12 inch and 15 inch) of your two back rectangles by folding one side under 1/2" twice and sewing.

IMG_4384

Place your pillow front and back pieces right sides together, lining up edges. Put the larger rectangle down first against the flower right sides together, then put your smaller rectangle on top if it, right sides together. Pin well.

IMG_4386

Sew around the edges with a 1/2" inch inseam. Because home decor fabric frays easily, serge or do a quick zig zag stitch around the edges. Trim your corners and turn inside out.

IMG_4388

Stuff with an 18 inch pillow form and your done! Yay!

IMG_4416

Thanks for crafting with me today. You can visit me anytime at Cluck. Cluck. Sew. for free quilt patterns and more tutorials. Thanks Vanessa for letting me invade your blog today and have fun at market for all of us!!!! -Allison


thanks alison! that is just absolutely gorgeous. big hugs and kiss that yummy little baby on the head for me!!!

tomorrow we have another guest blogger tutorial.

see how i've taken care of you while i'm gone?

72 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. I would have never guessed it was that simple to make

Nancy said...

That is so cute, I love it and will definitely try it!

SisterlyLove said...

WOW! That is SO gorgeous. I'm in love!

Carrie said...

Wow this looks so cute. Now I am off to buy some felt. Thanks for the cute tutorial.

.....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies said...

This is wonderful! You have inspired me!

trish said...

What a great pillow! Thank you for sharing your tutorial with us. :o)
Have a great day.
Trish

Simply Jessabells said...

Oh I love it. Thanks so much for sharing. I think I found my project of the week.

patsy said...

I love this!
thanks vanessa & allison

I love cluck cluck sew & YES I am making this one FOR sure :)

chris said...

Hooray for Allison and V. Thanks for ANOTHER fun idea.

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

Such a fun pillow!!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

I LOVE it. I really want to make one for my bed now. Just maybe I will!

Barb said...

I love it....thanks for the tut!!

Paula Lynn said...

I likey, likey :)

Rebekah said...

Beautiful! I wonder how much cat hair a huge felt flower would collect on my couch... :)

jabeybaby said...

I love it! Thanks for sharing, I am definitely going to try this one!

All8 said...

Beautiful! Would you dare wash it?

Tracey Jacobsen said...

That was so surprisingly easy!

Great tutorial Alison. :) Thank you!

Kristin said...

That is beautiful...thanks for sharing!

Dogwood said...

Very cute and creative. I really, really love the colors. The soft background with the bright flower. It sure has the WOW factor

Have a safe and fun trip. Yes, I am jealous.

Dogwood

amy smart said...

Allison, this is AMAZING! I can't wait to make one. Thanks for making it look so easy. :) (I would have never attempted figuring it out on my own.)

Anna said...

wow, this is so so great! Looks like it's pretty quick to make, but is one of those things that looks like it would take all day!

Wendy said...

What an absolutely beautiful pillow! Great job, Allison!! Thank you for sharing :)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I have GOT to do this- I love it! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Katie Lewis said...

This pillow is adorable! Thanks for sharing!

mommy Orkid Belle said...

Lovely pillow! Sure perfect for summer. :) Thanks for sharing!

Busy Little Quilter said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing it. It's so sweet of you to man Vanessa's blog while she's gone (lucky girl).

Ashley said...

awesome!! love this!!

homemade by jill said...

I love this! I was doubtful when you said it took about a half hour to make ... but it really does look fast and easy.

Jaimie said...

really cute pillow! that's a pillow tutorial i can follow!

Catherine Peart said...

That is seriously lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Tracy said...

Wow that is so cute and you make it look much easier with your fabulous tutorial! I am sitting here thinking, "oh my gosh, I can totally do that"... and that's huge for me to think that!

Anne said...

Oooh, I love it!! The big flower reminds me of a zinnia, which is my absolute favorite summer bloom.

I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-throw-pillow-with-oversized-felt-flower/2010/05/20/

--Anne

Sandy a la Mode said...

that pillow is just soo beautiful!!! i love the tutorial but i'm sure if i tried to make that, mine wouldn't turn out nearly as pretty as this one!!

Dana said...

Just beautiful! And you made it look so easy. Thanks! Going to check out your blog...

Delia said...

I adore this! I just linked to this post on my blog. Thank you!

deliacreates.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This is so cool! Thank you for sharing :) I made you CHIC OF THE WEEK on my little blog :)

http://www.hobbychic.blogspot.com

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Darling! I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

elise said...

this is really beautiful, can't wait to try it!
and OHMYLANTA! i never ever ever win *anything*! thank you so very much! i'm in shock:OD

Jenn said...

Really cute. One of the best tute's I have seen in awhile.

Caroline ~ TrilliumDesign said...

Excellent tute!! I have been wanting to make a pillow just like this one - so perfect timing for me - thank-you :)

Marie-Andrée said...

Thank you for this tute! I love it! I will make it!!!

Allie said...

Super dang cute!!

Unknown said...

Lindo trabalho, obrigada por compartilhar.

Jô

Amy Hadley said...

Holy cuteness, how awesome is this?! Thanks for the idea!!

Marti said...

I just want to say that I saw something similar to this on a round pillow at TJ Maxx today. We all know how cheap their prices are, right?

OH MY GOSH, THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THEIRS LOOKED! Theirs had all flat petals and you've given yours a little extra touch that makes it look so great! I definitely am thinking I'm heading to the fabric store now. :) Thanks!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

It's a lovely pillow! Great tutorial too. Thanks for posting.

Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d said...

That's so cute, and seems easy! I have made similar closure type pillow cases before, but I just use one long piece, rather than a front and two backs.

Sarah said...

Beautiful pillow and wonderful instructions! I love the way mine turned out. Many thanks!

Sildenafil Citrate said...

Well, This is a wonderful that I have never seen before using some petals pillow to sleep, I think this a incredible idea to make and sleep well.

Baezamama said...

It's BEAUTIFUL! I made one of my own today after seeing this post, I love it, and put a link to your blog in the post! Thanks!

http://thebaezablog.blogspot.com/2010/09/chrysanthemum-pillow.html

How to Use iPhone or iPod to Remotely Control a PC said...

some really good tips! Thanks for sharing!

Amnah said...

Um, wow. Why haven't I seen this sooner. This is beautiful.

Jayne said...

very very cute, I will try to put buckwheat inside because buckwheat is a naturally occurring, renewable resource and allow air to circulate so your upper body remains cool in the summer.

Unknown said...

that's an amazing pillow!
I linked to your tutorial on my blog - thanks for sharing!

best wishes, doro K.

Angela said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I made one this evening for my bed! I'll post it (with a link to your blog) tomorrow when I can take some good pictures! Thanks again!

::little projects in style:: said...

hi! :) thanks for this excellent tutorial! i made one here using your instructions::

http://littleprojectsinstyle.blogspot.com/2011/06/daily-cushion-challenge-five-le-finale.html

thanks again for the inspiration!
xx

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous! I'm going to have to start sewing! Thanks for the tutorial!

CLEILA said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I just saw a pillow exactly like this one in a catalog received in the mail this week! Was not about to pay the $40.00 they wanted for 1 pillow! The pillows in the catalog were made of a wool material in the same color as the petals, did add a nice texture, so I will probably give that a try also. Thank you again for a super easy tutorial! Great job!

Cassie2theBooth said...

I have had this post saved forever and I have finally posted A. completed the project (finished a while back) and B. posted pictures of my experience with the tutorial Your here. I am super happy with the results! Thank you for such an excellent tutorial!

Thank you Vanessa teaming up with Allison! You guys rock!

S. said...

Hi! Your nice tutorial is on my blog!www.fioridiflowerland.blogspot.com

Sara

Nana said...

Very cute, I love it. Thank you

manon said...

merveilleux se coussin est vraiment adorable merci manon

just me said...

this is amazing. great job!!!

http://excurlythoughts.blogspot.com/

HannahWee33 said...

sewing machine is getting repaired, but would love to make a pillow for my couch, you think that tacky glue might work? Sounds lazy I know :)

Emily said...

I have seen this done with hot glue - but then you have all of those messy strings to clean up. This looks more up my alley. Thanks for the great tut!

sewitlikeyoumeanit.weebly.com/blog.htm

divya said...

Beautiful. i'll try it.

Anonymous said...

Just made this, and it's gorgeous, but for those of you who would like to try this, there are a couple of incorrect things in the tutorial. First of all, there is no way this would take half an hour. It takes more that that just to cut out the felt circles! Make sure you plan for plenty of time to do this one. Second, on the step involving sewing down 1/2 inch of the edges of the rectangular pieces, the tutorial says to do it on the short edges. That won't work! You need to do this on the long edges. Just trying to save everyone some frustration!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of doing this on a fabric covered canvas and hang. Should I apply fabric to canvas and then pin felt on! I'm agraid that if I sew into fabric and them put on canvas, the flower will distort from the fabric being stretched into the canvas. Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Agree with Anonymous, this can't be made in an hr. Not with all the cutting and sewing. It is easy though. Also i tried the short side and it had to be taken out and caused me to take that much longer. So do the long sides! Cute pillow.

edythe said...

I made 2 pillows, one for a friend and one for a daughter-in-law. Fun and not hard project. thanks Edythe

Anonymous said...

Trying to get back into sewing; at my age you wonder if its worth trying. Sharing this easy tutorial makes me think I can succeed and even more so make my granddaughter extremely happy and proud of me. Thank you.

Mama's lady bugs said...

This is very simple and beautiful will do it with my kids

Blog Widget by LinkWithin