Tuesday, May 25, 2010

my head is still spinning from market

so it's over.
market that is.
now i'm home.
but my head is still spinning.
what a whirlwind of events
and yes, no pooping of the pants happened.
okay a fast run down:
dana and i finally met in person. we knew we would hit it off. but it's always fun to get to know each other outside of the cyber world.


first dana and i stood in line so that we could get our grubby little hands on fabric that is due out later on this year. i mean i've heard of the sample spree and i've heard rumors of how things go in there. but really just experiencing it was a hoot and holler of a good time. i got me some fat quarter bundles of camille's bliss, oliver +S city weekend, and momo's its a hoot.
we, after the fact went out and got some super healthy snacks that consisted of chocolate and good n plenties at the super cool bi-level target in the downtown area. (camille would be so proud!) we awaited our third roomie cyndi. who happens to be one of the nicest strangers to room with. we walked away from the weekend being good friends.

i got to meet, shake hands with some amazing women (and men) in the fabric/pattern industry. i got to admire wonderful booths. i got to meet in person people that i have an online monthly, weekly , and sometimes daily relationships with.
from left to right top: angela yosten moda home mom, anne sutton bunny hill design
left to right bottom: carrie fresh cut quilts, jocelyn fat quarter shop


anne sutton and her best-ie anne won first place for their booth. i thought it was cute that they were both named "anne". so i started calling them "anne squared". they thought i was quite humorous. as a matter of fact they kept laughing at my jokes. i instantly fell in love with anne squared. :)

i was working on "stuff" (this bag being one of them...pattern coming soon) before i went to market with the lovely "it's a hoot" line by momo. i love this line i think it's my all time favorite line by moda.

on friday one of the most surprising things happened. i got a tap on my shoulder and a "V? Vanessa?" i turned around and because i've only seen her picture like once and she was in the background of that said so picture...it took me a second to realize that i was staring at the smiling face of THE crazy mom quilts. to which i jumped and gave her a bear hug. sorry amanda. we talked and shared pictures on our cameras and talked some more...and then some more and more. gosh, i wanted to pack her in my purse and keep here there just so i could pull her out and talk to her some more.


at one point i got to meet fellow blogger and only male moda bake shop chef quilt dad, kate spain (moda fabrics designer extraordinaire) and fellow blogger (from canada!) kaye prince.
the #1 comment i got when people met me for the first time was "wow, you are a lot shorter than i pictured you." then i would take off my heels and the jaw's would drop. yes, i'm a 5 foot 1 inch girl on a good day.
the #2 comment i got was "hey! i saw you dancing last night." to which i would of liked to respond "no you didn't. you didn't see anything."

dana and i had a few ventures out of the convention. we met up with another fellow mom craft blogger anna of noodlehead. she is just one of the nicest girls. and i'm pretty sure i embarrassed the hell out of her when before we left the quilt market and to meet up with dana we ventured over to amy butler's booth and i couldn't stop talking a mile a minute to THE amy butler.

me nervous=me talking really fast and kind of high pitched.
with a bunch of arm and hand movements. pretty sure amy butler was like "you need to slow down on the speed....like as in the drug speed."

also i've noticed this last weekend i say "fabulous" waaaaaaaaaay too much when i'm nervous. sorry amy fabulous butler...next time i'll stand behind the nice mid western girl (anna) who will just say you are great and keep walking by.


after embarrassing of myself at the amy butler booth we headed on out to some warehouse type of place where no joke from floor to ceiling were just rolls and bolts of fabric.
i got overwhelmed and ended up buying only three sets of buttons. yup i did.
at some point we found our way to great mall america. i think the facts on it was like it was 4 miles long or something like that and one amusement park inside of it. wonder if my small town would look into getting a great mall america.
by the end of the weekend and after saying our goodbyes to new found friends. i found myself at the airport staring at traveling families and their kids. i missed my husband and kids. and not to mention my bed.
okay off to bed. aka avoiding mountains of laundry and 200+ emails.

47 comments:

chris said...

I'm glad you had so much fun. It sounds like grown up girls camp for fabric junkies. Heaven. By the way, I'm also as short as you are...but tubbier to boot. Way past my bedtime, too.

Kari Sweeten said...

How fun!! I really wished I could've been there...maybe next year. I'm jealous you have "it's a hoot" that fabric is so fabulous {yes, I say that word a lot, too!}.

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Glad you had a good time and looks like you hit SR Harris which IS so overwhelming to those of us that live here!

Andi said...

Looks like you had a blast!!
How fun.
That pile of fabric at the top of the post has left me drooling.
I'm off to clean my keyboard!
Andi :-)

Gene Black said...

I have to make it to market...It looks like one big family reunion/party.

That Ghiradelli Intense Dark is one of my "go to's"

Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

Awesome!!!
So glad you had a good time (of course, it would be hard NOT to there:)). I have a feeling that masses and piles of fabric are going to be floating around in my weird preggo dreams tonight!
Maybe I'll be able to talk it up enough that my husband will send me out the door next year .........

Trixi said...

It looks like you had a great time but I know you are glad to be home. I can't wait to see what you do with all those new goodies.

Amy said...

What a fun recap of Market. Love all the pictures and stories... but I have to ask, why is AmandaJean so camera shy? :)
I love her work too and am glad she's made a comeback.

sharon said...

looks like SO much fun!

elise said...

WOW. this looks *amazing*! i didn't know such a thing existed. So glad you and Dana got to hang out, love you both!

Qubie said...

I need to get my hands on all three of the FQ bundles that you got from market. They are all great. I really like it's a hoot by MoMo.

Jessica said...

What a fun trip! I too am only 5'1" on a good day. I don't usually think about how untall that is until I see myself in pictures.

Funky Kim said...

You do type taller than 5'1". Heh.

Next year I'm going to Quilt Market. Because it's here in Salt Lake and I found me a way to get in. I've already mapped out the vacation days here at work! LOL

amy smart said...

See, I told you. :)

Love all the pictures!! It looks like so much fun. I am finding a way in when it comes to SLC. (Can I hide in your booth ;).

Mindy said...

Fun fun super fun!!! And I love the bag... cuter than cute! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had way to much fun!!!

Sherri said...

I am soo going to be there in SLC...but wow...you did a great recap...and the picture of you and Angela Yosten is right in front of a quilt I sewed for Camille. And thanks for the pics of City Weekend and It's a Hoot...hadn't seen real photos of those fabrics yet...they are on my must have list just from your photo!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the wrap up of your whirlwind weekend! looks like lots of fun & i'm still stunned that you got to meet THE Amy Butler herself! (who is, fabulous indeed!)

Tasha said...

Oh the happiness!! Looked fabulous!

Kristie said...

Fun! Wish I could have been there to meet you, Dana and Anna in person. I would have danced too and denied it the next day too.
Hurry! Get that bag pattern up. I want it :)

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Ugh I need to live closer to all these quilt market events. Sounded like it was so much fun, but it is nice to go back to cute kids and a familiar bed!

Barb said...

Looks like you had a fantastic time....thanks for sharing..

Wendy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!! Super cool you! oh, and welcome home :)

jenn said...

Oooooo... Welcome to Minneapolis and our two-story Target. Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing!

Caroline ~ TrilliumDesign said...

What a fun trip!! Thanks for the recap - sounds like a fun bunch of peeps!

Amanda Jean said...

It was sooooo great to meet you!!!!! Had you asked I would have happily hopped into your purse. ;) I don't know how you survived the entire thing. One day wore me out!

ellsworth family said...

sounds AMAZING! How fun would that be!!! Glad you had a wonderful time.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

Marci said...

yay! i'm so glad that you had fun!!!

Tiffany said...

It was super fun meeting you too! THanks for being so sweet to me and my rambles...I was nervous too! :)

Dana said...

I'm so glad you shared your experiences! I had fun just reading about it, so I know you had a blast. Welcome back!

Anna said...

love your low down on the market, I do love that new moda line, can't wait until I can snatch some of that up! and no I totally wasn't embarassed, I'm just glad you had the guts to say something to her, my jaw was still on the floor

Anonymous said...

Hi V! I live in Minneapolis and I hope you enjoyed your visit! The fabric store you went to is my absolute favorite! S.R. Harris is VERY overwhelming however the number 1 place to go if you know exactly what you want! Next time you come back to Minneapolis, be sure to check out a place called Mill End. They have a few in Wisconsin, South Dakota and North Dakota too. Mill End is a warehouse full of designer fabrics at dirt cheap prices. Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound! It sounds like your trip was very exhausting!
Take Care!

Jenny said...

And I was one of those people that recognized you and was all proud of myself for saying "Hi" to The "V"

Kaye Prince said...

I'm glad you had such a great time Vanessa! It was so lovely finally getting to meet you "in real life" and I had a lot of fun at the Moda party with you!

SLO Rober said...

That is so "fabulous" ! What a fun experience. I'm sure you made everyone you met feel like a rockstar. Imagine - quilters being greeted like rockstars! (P.S. I would have reacted the same way if I had met Amy Butler, too.)

Rachel Carlson said...

oh.my.goodness. looks like tons of fun. still my dream to go to market one day. thanks for sharing your experience. hugs!

Dogwood said...

Looks like so much fun! Great photos. Oh my gosh you must have been in fabric heaven! I bet hubby and kids were happy to have you home.

Kimberly said...

Gredat post! Thanks a bunch for sharing!

...and what a pair WE would have made... I'm 5'11"!! (and that's on a 'how flat next to bare feet can I go' sort of day!)

CitricSugar said...

No poopin' your pants? Well, THAT'S not a festival/market.... :-)

Look at all the fabulous you collected by camera - and I'd be pretty excited to have met YOU if I'd been there so remember that you are pretty cool, too, when you meet folks (not that I'm Amy Butler but you get the picture..)

Princess Martha said...

I would looove to go to market...like everyone else on here I suppose. How on earth do you control yourself???

Kona Bay Fabrics Blog said...

Hi Vanessa-

Thanks for blogging about your Quilt Market activities!

As a vendor at Quilt Market, I do not always get out and look at all the beautiful booths so thanks for sharing!!

That's pretty cool you let your readers know what went on!!


Douglas Eagleson
President, Kona Bay Fabrics

http://www.konabay.com

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

What a fun blog.... I can't sew... to save my life... but reading your blog makes me want to!!

Jessica Munk said...

Sounds like a blast! I loved reading Dana's market posts too! How fun that you all got to meet! And I don't know if I mentioned it, I am short too! My response to the question is always, "5' feet . . . 1", maybe". I forget that people think I look like a teenager until I meet new people :)

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

SOOOOOO fun! So wish I could have gone. I want in next year!

And I would have pooped my pants if I had meet Amanda. She's so awesome, (and you're funny!!)

Michelle said...

OMG - you were in Brooklyn Park at S.R. Harris! If I had known, I would have stalked you! :)

Michelle said...

You were at S.R. Harris in BP and I never knew - dammit...had I known, I would have stalked you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin