Wednesday, April 8, 2009

7 things




camille, i don't normally do tags but i'm feeling a little on the nice side so here you go:

7 things you might not know about me:


1. spanish was my first language.

and even though my spanish-o aint so good-o these days i still consider myself bi-lingual.

i mean i can pick up what they are putting down on tv-novelas, but that dialog isn't where i want to be practicing my spanish. seriously how can i drop in a sentence "slut" or "bast..." i mean "jerk" when speaking with my grandmother? maybe i'll start looking into watching the news in spanish so when asked what i think of the weather, i can answer with how i think North Korea is super awesome.

2. growing up (well till i was married) i was a major tom-boy

my passions were running, volleyball, soccer, and wearing baseball hats.

as a matter of fact there wasn't a day that didn't go by (except for the three hours during church on sundays) that i didn't have a baseball hat, soccer shorts, and tennis shoes or flip flops on, or something along those lines. my mom and grandma would BEG me to wear some make up, i called them fools. when i started to wear make-up and skirts, my husband told me to quit it. i called him a fool. now i find myself a little in the in middle.


3. i didn't know how to sew till a few years ago.

uh yeah when you are super busy playing sports and such things you don't really have much time to realize that you really loooooooove to sew. but after a couple of kids and my bladder not being what it used to be, i found speed walking and sewing.


4. i am majorly scared of trying new things in front of others.

just ask anyone i have sewed with.
my first time cutting into fabric i cried (it was in front of people)
the first time i learned to sew clothes or make a quilt...i was crumpled in a corner rocking back and forth while everyone kept encouraging me that i could do it.

but get me in a room by myself and with a pattern and a sewing machine... and i will royally mess up over and over, but by gone it i will LEARN and make up a few tricks of my own.
if i were a guy i don't think i would be able to pee in a urinal at a public bathroom... i'm just saying.


5. i am really short

i've been told (by bloggers who meet me in person) that the most surprising thing about me when they meet me for the first time is...how damn short i really am. yeah i'm 5'1" on a good day.
my friends tell me all the time they feel like giants when next to me.
you are welcome.
oh and cooincidently the second thing they say about me is how super awesome i really am in person. HAHAHAhahha...ahha...hmmm


6. i made my husband so stressed out during our year long of being "kissing friends" for three months straight that he would throw up every time someone would ask how things were.

for as tough as the man is now, he has a very sensitive side (hello, he's a marriage and family therapist) i made the man go through hell, because i wouldn't commit to dating just him. i was having the time of my life in college dating anything that would ask me out, but at the end of the day i would always call him and we would "hang"... it was during this personal hell time (for him) that i realized i never wanted to live without him and i finally said "yeah, lets do this thing."


7. i'm an only child.

that probably explains a lot about me. and you better keep your mouths shut about this one.
****************
soooo we're off to california, for my nieces wedding and seeing my family. i'll be back next week with new projects i'm sure, but till then hasta amigas! ;)

34 comments:

zippy said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful talents--you inspire me. I heart your blog and look forward to putting a number of your tutorials to good use asap. I've already begun to stock up on beautifully patterned second-hand sheets...thanks for the great tip! : )

I came across your blog through a mutal friend that speaks very highly of you. After a few weeks of following your blog, I realized we have a second friend in common...fun!

I too am a bilingual 5'1" chi-qui-lina, raised in the L.A. area near the beach. : ) Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself...I'm Zippy.

Have a good day!

Mandy said...

This is hilarious, thanks for the great laugh this morning! Oh, and #4 - I cry every time I cut into fabric... don't we all? :)

amylouwhosews said...

I just wrote a post about how I procrastinate new things, like cutting into fabric for fear of messing it up. Actually, I wrote a whole post about that a while back....

And the bladder thing - i so hear you!!! People look at me funny when I bring it up, but seriously? There is no way I could run a marathon now without wearing a Depends.

you are funny!

Betsy said...

I SO did that kissing friend thing to my husband too....it killed him as well. Looking back not sure what I was thinking except FUN, FUN, FUN! Plus I might of kind of liked having the upper hand....you know what I mean?

rachel griffith said...

oh vanessa...
you tomboy-o, wanna be bilingual-o, vomit inducing-o midget you...

yeah so i'm thinking the word slut can only be used for so long in a convo with the la abuela.
{till she wants smacks you then forces you to eat something. haha. that's my mawmaw anyways.}

i would probably feel like the jolly green giant standing next to you...but it's all good.
i have a feeling that me & you would hit it off SO well that our hubby's would feel intimidated.
hahahahahaha.

have fun visting the fam.

rachel griffith said...

so i was thinking after i left that comment that i should have probably worded that last sentence differently. because i'm thinking it sounded more rainbow friendly than i meant it. lol.

what i meant to say was...
i have a feeling that me & you would get along SO well that our hubby's would be afraid of all the dorky-ness.

okay that's better.
hahaha.

Sandy said...

Fun list!! Are you going to SLO? I'm so jealous - we haven't been there in 2 years. Get to go in 2 months, though! I didn't know most of those things about you, except that you're short and that you made poor Jake wait around forever.That's the stuff third ward gossip is made of, haha! I don't feel so bad that I didn't know how crafty/sewy/artsy/fartsy you were back then since it sounds like...you weren't back then...YET:)

Anonymous said...

4 and 5 aren't bad. LOL.

I totall understand about doing things in front of people. I can be a class clown no problem, but have me do something I care about, like crocheting, and I totally get my hook stuck in front of people!!

As for #5 --- yeah, I'm barely 5'1". I feel ya sista.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

That is a fun list - you are hilarious and made me laugh aloud this morning. Thanks.

Fleming Family said...

I didn't know you made Jake feel that way! That's funny! Knowing you as a single lady, a man like him is definitely what you needed! :) I'm glad he loves your natural beauty, because you are beautiful! Fun facts to know about you, thanks for sharing!

Steph said...

I'm 5'2". Blessings and pains. I can't reach stuff on the top cabinet, but I'm comfy on a plane in the middle seat. ;-)

Carry Grace said...

#6 is hillarious!

girlsmama said...

I remember the baseball hats. :) I think I remember J has a favorite too.

And don't worry, I'm just as tall as you are. Have fun with the fam!

Sally said...

I love you! :)

zippy said...

Lexie D. is the other cute gal we know in common. : )

Anonymous said...

OK... I found you through Zippy's blog and I'm friends with KH as well. LOVE your stuff! I'm a "closet" shabby chic kinda gal. My home is a bit hodge podge, modern clean lines with Asian inspired decor. My husband would hate the shabby chic look even if I could pull it off but I know it would be sooo... cozy cute! I'm sure I'll be back and I'll be sending some crafty gals your way.

Melissa said...

just found you through camille (and moda bakeshop). love you already! now that i sound really stalkerish i will go now.

Jodi Nelson said...

Love your 7 things! And Rachel you are hysterical yourself! LOL. Have a fantabulous time away! ooxx`jod

Unknown said...

Ok, next time you let us know something about yourself, try not to be so serious!
Excellent insight into your crazy soul....

Rue said...

Good morning Vanessa :)

I'm so envious of your ability to sew. I tried, but the sewing machine I begged for is now in a box, somewhere in the basement, being punished for driving me insane. I would never have guessed that you've only been at it for a couple of years.

Oh and I drove Rich crazy before I dated him too LOL

Have fun in Cali!
rue

TheCatLord said...

nice to "meet" you!
i love finding new blogs! and i am loving yours! i know i'll be visiting here quite often!

Anonymous said...

I loved #3 and #4. It totally gives me hope that I can really sew someday. I have just started learning to sew by myself. I am making a rag rug. I have it all braided. I have tried to sew it two times and both times I sewed it all wrong. My stitches were either all wrong and tight or to little and tight. So here I sew again!!! Thanks for the hope....

Pamela
Snuglewmn@aol.com

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh!

Caitlin said...

Honestly, never saw you without a hat on back in the good ol' days...or eat cheese. Hmm. Still loving your blog! Have fun in Cali. Get a sunburn for me!

Barb said...

Hey, you're taller than I am. :-)

~signed a 5'0" reader

P.S. How tall is your husband? Mine is 6'2". How's that for opposites attracting?

Nicole said...

I would have never guessed that your were 5'1. Your so skinny, I think it makes you look taller! Thanks for the advice on the yellow, hopefully were done painting for a while, I'm out of energy!

Mara said...

One of my good girlfriends last name is Christianson and she's 4'9" - I totally feel like a giant around her....just thought that was a funny coincidence. =)

~ Mara

Trixi said...

Have a great trip and thanks for sharing.

As for brushing up on the Spanish, my daughter is going to start reading a Spanish Bible to brush up. I thought it sounded like a good plan.

Kimberly said...

Regarding the "HAHAHAhahha...ahha...hmmm" part of #5: your translation of this comic device into text is PERFECT...reading it out loud made me laugh even more.

Team Clark said...

I'm just curious. Do you even read all of the comments on your posts?
You know, sometimes you talk like you're a crazy lady, but you're one of the most amazing people I know.

Camille said...

WEIRD. I just got your comment on my blog while I was reading YOUR blog. We are definitely on the same wavelength. Quite often, I think. Thanks for doing the tag, I'm with ya, I don't normally do them either, but got guilted into it. :-) Fun 7 things about you, you are a HOOT. Can't WAIT for the weekend!

Janelle said...

HA! I knew all of these things!!! But I still love you...you've always blown me away and you still do...Love you friend!!!

Monique said...

I'm aware that this comment is waaaaaay deep in your archives, but I have been sitting here for a good hour (or two) reading your blog and looking at your fabulous pics and loving that you are a swear-sometimes mormon like me. Just wanted to say fabulous blog!

Annalia said...

That was super-entertaining! I think the 7 things you didn 't know about me would put everyone to sleep. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin