Monday, July 8, 2013

V and Co: the tale of tiny hexagons and english paper piecing.

 our summer vacation is halfway done. actually more than that. we go back to school in middle of august much to the children and my sadness.
my summer vacations growing up didnt end till labor day.
anyone else out there like that? what ever happened to having summer during the summer? hmm.
one thing i am excited about summer ending is that i get to have more scheduled time with my sewing machine. but for now we continue with and enjoy our summer

i've mentioned before that normally i don't go places with out having something to work on.
most of the time i will either get my checkbook balanced, or work on some kind of binding (when i have something to bind that is!) but one of my favorites is appliqué and english paper piecing hexagon work.


 this summer i wanted to make some tiny little hexagons.
i started with even smaller than these shown
these measure 7/8" and 1" across
when i started the smaller ones, i quickly figured out they were going to be a little frustrating to the point of wanting to throw them across the room and swear in my head like a drunken sailor, which in my book is still bad...so i went with a little larger hexagons and adapted a few little hints here and there on how to have great looking small hexagons and help me with my not swearing like a drunken sailor, even in my head.


these babies have traveled with me and i have worked on them at gymnastics, in the car line waiting for orchestra to get out, waiting to have reading camp get out, waiting to have band get out, and of course the pool. 
on wednesday i'll do step by step hints and how tos from start to finish on these little guys. (which you can also incorporate into your larger hexagon work)

i'm slow to blog these days. as you can see even my pictures here are from my instagram feed. but i promise to keep blogging, even if it's just to update that i'm still planning to blog. :)
a great day. we'll talk soon.

17 comments:

.....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies said...

So pretty! I always love seeing your work!

mascanlon said...

Hexies are my "take a longs" too. I do love these pink ones!

Sandy said...

I've only done english paper piecing once in a Craftsy BOM block, but I really enjoyed it!! I will have to get a little kit together, hopefully that will be in the Wednesday post too!

RaspberrySunshine said...

I'm with lattegirl40, but I broke down and purchased some hexie papers and have fabric scraps ready. I want to take some on vacation, but not sure how many I want to put in my carry-on LOL! Our summer ends 3rd week of August too. Time flies, huh?

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Hexágonos m dos MEUS vicios, adoro!

Tammy said...

I am also busy working on pink hexi's..I love them. But sometimes they do get tedious.

trish said...

Can you believe the kids go back to school the first week of Aug? Like you our summers ended after Labor Day. I grew up in N CA though so not sure if that is why. I loved it! More beach time pool time friend time. :0)
Cute hexies. So tiny. :0)

Jacqueline said...

I am in Australia, here children have 6 weeks off for summer, off from Mid-December and go back in the first week of February. And obviously we have Christmas and New Year during that time.
It would seem odd to me having summer in the middle of the year like you do and Xmas in winter. But I think it would be nice to experience it for a change. :-)

Annalia said...

I can't wait to see your hexie hints! I've been wanting to do some forever. :)

Gina S said...

I grew up in S. California and we didn't go back to school till after Labor day either. Can't wait to see your tips on the hexes, I've stayed away from them. Last time some said to me i have these hex shapes i made my fingers into a cross and started backing away, lol.

kelli said...

I'm starting a diamond kick... Do the same hints and tricks apply when EPP-ing (HA peeing!) 60 degree diamond stars?

Anonymous said...

Awww, they're adorable! I especially love that last photo from the pool, looks really like my kind of pool day ^^

Giuli said...

Vanessa, I'm totally in love about your new projects!
An amazing way to spend your summer time under the sun!
Have a wonderful summer!

SuzyMcQ said...

V, Would love to hear some of your hints on hexies. I'm working on some right now, larger than yours, but mine are linen and a bit of a challenge.

WIPPYSPLACE said...

I love to make hexies and love 1/2 inch the best--I have papers for 1/4 inch but have yet to take the plunge--think I will finish several 1/2 inch projects first and my 3/4 inch project and my one inch projects and my one and half inch project....they are fun arent they? ..*~*CAROLE*~*

JenniferO said...

I love your hexagons! I'm from Georgia, and we always start back early (my brother is starting his senior year of HS Aug. 9), but school also gets out right before Memorial Day. Still, that's really just 2 months. Sadness.

Laurakam said...

Thanks for the inspiration.I love all your projects. Is that a selvedge pouch that you are storing your hexies in? I have your pouch pattern but haven't tried it yet.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin