Thursday, July 18, 2013

V and Co: selvage zipper tote for BERNINA

well, the day has arrived where i get to talk a little about my relationship with BERNINA
i bought my first bernina 5 years ago. 
actually back up.
my husband bought me my bernina for my birthday 5 years ago.
it was the best birthday gift he has ever given me. 
second best was my flat iron. yes, you know because i have monica from friends hair remember? (man i miss blogging about stupid stuff...maybe i'll start that up again...)
anyways, when i got my first bernina machine i turned it on and immediately i felt the difference between my new bernina sewing machine, and the old not bernina one i had been using for years.
it's like overnight i became a better piecer, (thank you 1/4" seam foot!) and a much better seamstress in general.
i KNOW it has to do with the sewing machine because i didn't just wake up and become that much better over night due to my skills. 
so fast forward to my craftsy class...and well what do you know i got to sew on the new bernina 380  and fell in even more in love with the bernina sewing machines.
then i got to work briefly with the 780 and holy swear word that was a freaking amazing experience and i am grateful for that! 
i have since settled quite nicely with my 580 and i think we fit well together. katie has been learning on my 580 and i'll blog about that in a little bit. it's been cool to see her at such a young age really love to learn. tearing up. stupid hormones..k what was i talking about...oh yeah.

i have the privilege to work as a bernina ambassador, and one of my duties is to create a few fun projects for the WE ALL SEW blog


 for my first project over there i decided to make a fun little selvage zipper tote.
i give you step by step instructions on:
*how to create your selvage blocks
*how to use your zipper foot to create the best looking sewn in zipper :)
*and how to finish your adorable bag

i used a lot of pictures (just like i always do!)
and of course written instructions to go with all the pictures.

so head on over to the BERNINA blog, tell them i sent you. and let me know what you think of my first project over there.
if you have any bernina machine questions i will most happily answer them in the comments section, and if i don't know...i have my bernina dealer quilt shop here in town that is awesome and full of knowledge in the bernina world and can give me the answer to just about anything you throw at me. :)
okay.
have a fantabulous day.
we'll talk soon. ;)

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello. I cannot locate your tutorial on bernina site. do you have a direct link?

Sandy said...

I couldn't find your tutorial at the Bernina site either :(

Thimbleanna said...

Well, I don't really have a Bernina question for you. Just a statement. I think you should switch to Viking. ROFLOLHAHAHA!!!

VERY cute little bag Ms. V!

Paula said...

I found the tutorial no problem and have downloaded the pdf. Love the pouch, it really looks looks great. I'm collecting all my leftover selvages at the moment, it's lovely to see that there are finally so many great uses for them appearing online.

Anonymous said...

It's so cute! Doesn't hurt that the selvedges from your lines in particular are great. :)

Kristin said...

I'll admit, I don't usually read your blog for the sewing stuff, but for your awesome stories that make me laugh. (Ha, I STILL laugh when I think of your 'Stuck in the Mens Restroom story') Totally understand the hair straightener thing and my kids say the same as yours when I haven't calmed it down in the morning. They run away from the crazy lion (yeah, red hair and curly!)

Amy DeCesare said...

Oh, now I know why I compulsively save all of my selvages! I am soooo making this pouch! How lucky that yours actually has YOUR name all over it! :)

MaterialGirlQuilts said...

Love your pouch and love my Bernina 140 Patchwork Edition that I've had for more than 10 years. It still works like a champ with no issues! True workhorse.

Laurence W said...

Lovely pouch !

P11otter said...

Love your Pouch! Saving selvage!

Kay said...

I have a huge bag of selvages I have been saving, so now I know what to do with some of them. I love your crazy stories & miss them. I can relate to your hair story. My hair is always look like a drowned rat when I go swimming & I wonder why I can't look like one of those women who look good with wet hair.

Jenelle said...

From the Bernina site you have to click through to the "Blog" here's a direct link for you: http://weallsew.com/2013/07/18/zipped-up-selvage-pouch-by-vanessa-christenson-for-weallsew/

Ps: Great project Vanessa!

Cecilia said...

Cute pouch! I love my Berninas too! I will definitely be making this pouch. Thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Adorable...cute....colorful....fun....creative....little bag! Thank you for sharing.
Tami

Christine said...

Cute little bag! I am new to sewing, and I inherited my grandmother's Bernina machine - she was a professional seamstress. The machine has a red case and weighs a ton! I know it's an old machine (based on online photos I saw, I think it's an 830 Record probably from the 60's), but are oldie's still goodie's when it comes to the machine? I also inherited about 20 different specialized foot attachments (many of which I don't know the purpose of).

Dawna (Stitches from the Tub) said...

If you have BERNINA feet and need to know what they are for go to the BERNINA website, products, accessories, pressure feet and choose the foot number for a video about it.

Unknown said...

If any of you are seeing on your grandma's Bernina, that's great, but you should try the Berninas from this century. They are sensational.You can hand the old one down to a beginner sewing artist or your little sister or brother. Try the NEW 7 series!

V and Co. said...

thanks ladies! and thanks for the emails! i've answered a lot of emails on berninas! :)

Unknown said...

Great project, and I love your humor. :)

Brenda said...

Bought myself a Bernina 330 this weekend...ahh, still haven't gotten it out of the box, I'm so nervous! I've been sewing my whole life, so I don't know why it scares me...looking forward to hearing her hum! PS: I love your stories...they're why I got hooked on your blog in the first place - of course your crafts are amazing, but your humor dashed into each post really kept me coming for more and more...I still laugh about your first video attempt, with your littlest in the background singing away, and then finally asking for assistance in the bathroom... Love it and love you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial---I will be making one of these to use as a small knitting project bag. I have been saving salvage for years. I have to be honest though, and tell you that I will be sewing this on my Viking. (!)

Unknown said...

I too love my Bernina 580 and my 9 yr old daughter is also having fun learning all about sewing and falling in love with my machine!! I can't wait to help her make your little bag!

Fran said...

Great project....just discovered it via Pink Chalk Fabrics
& I've started to make the little pieced squares....I not
only have collected selvages but also those pieces when
you trim your fabric ...to even it.

One question.....Why do you use a 12" zipper ?
Couldn't you really use a smaller size ? Just wondering
if there is a reason for the larger size ?

Thanks ! & thanks for sharing your pattern...it is
beautiful.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin