Friday, March 15, 2013

V and Co: reverse hopscotch quilt top done

 remember when i mentioned my friend that was having her second boy but 8th child?
well i finished the quilt top for her little boy. and well now i wish i was having...no what the...no i didn't just think that! right? :O
moving along...



i took my instructions of hopscotch and reversed it.  i started with my star blocks...
but as i finished the stars i realized that i had a butt load of scraps left over in my simply color and simply style piles and wouldn't it be nice to actually use up some of those?? anyways, so that i could make a small dent into my scrap pile, i decided instead of doing the square in square block to just cut up my scraps and make a 9 patch with 4" blocks in their places.
 and well then i got this.
and what started off as my hopscotch quilt pattern ended up looking like a cross between a scrappy hopscotch and rachel's  moda bake shop book quilt.
we make a nice cross between the two quilts do we not? :) holla rachel!



as i work with both of my lines, i realize that they go quite nicely together. and well i kind of hope that this little guy and his many siblings like it as much as we like it over here.
whatever the case...it made me baby hungry. for like a second. don't tell anyone.
we'll talk soon.

15 comments:

Lex said...

beautiful! Cute tiny baby quilts always make me have baby on the brain

Rebecca@letsbeoriginal said...

WOW! So beautiful. LOL about being baby hungry... <3 Cute quilts can do that to you!

Mitzi said...

great idea! love it!

trish said...

I just love your quilt!!! Your hopscotch pattern is a favorite of mine (I think of you when I look at my finished quilt). But I am thinking we might need another one ... hmm.
Both of your fabric lines are gorgeous Vanessa!!

Rebecca Grace said...

Ooh, I LOVE this quilt! Scrappy background with white stars was a stroke of genius. And I know what you mean about getting a twinge of baby lust when others are expecting... Even if you KNOW you don't want another, still... ;-)

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

I LOVE this quilt! The bright colours and white stars work a treat together. This baby will be so well over. We also have 8 children, two sons and six beautiful daughters. There's always room for another....if age permits

Anonymous said...

Vanessa,

I have always loved you and your blog but dear heavens... I am not a fan of the chevron header! There is cheveron, chevron, chevron EVERYWHERE I look! Who ever decided this was a good idea? It gives me a headace. Please, use your influence to end this nauseating trend!!!

Denny1600 said...

It's a very cute quilt.

And . . . I like your header. The movement. Diffrent strokes for different strokes . . .

Julie Cefalu said...

Yep. Nothing wrong with a good chevron. And your quilt is heavenly. I think I'll make that version rather than the original. Maybe I'll get to them both one day. One can always hope!

Schulz Family said...

this is gorgeous. I love the idea of reversing the pattern like that.

Wens said...

I love this quilt - you did a beautiful job combining two quilt patterns into one. It's just gorgeous.

Annalia said...

What a great idea! It looks great.

able mabel said...

He is one lucky boy!! I love the colors you used in it!

The Yoder's Five said...

SO CUTE!! I need some of your fabric!!!

Glynis said...

Vanessa, I just keep coming back to this quilt and decided to say something. Late to the dance, but gonna start looking for Simply Color yardage and FQ and Junior Jelly Roll so I can make several of your beautiful and fun patterns. If successful will hold out some of the pieces to go with your Simply Style line so I can duplicate your Reverse Hopscotch - is that freaky, that I wanna do it just like yours. There's just something about it. I am gonna be paying attention when that line comes out! Start stashing some cash now, right!
And I just have to tell you every design in your Simply Color line is divine. It appeals to me as a nearly... shhh... 50 yo mom as well as to my 19yo daughter. So soothing, refreshing yet enlivening, and fun!
Thank you for your great site, Tutorials and Pattern Shop.
And, like I said, your spontaneous Reverse Hopscotch in your fabrics is perfect. Gotta make one!
Thank you for your great heart, your love of your family, and for taking the time and effort to develop and share your creativity! God has truly gifted you!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin