Tuesday, November 27, 2012

V and Co: how to make a pretty apple pie



welcome to part two of the apple pie saga. 

okay so now that you have all this apple pie filling in your pantry. lets make an actual apple pie out it shall we?
now if you are looking for a homemade pie crust...keep looking cause that's not what i'm doing here. all we're doing here is taking pre-made stuff and creating a very pretty lattice pie crust.
oh i've tried to make my own crust...and i don't have the touch yet. i'll keep trying and someday i'll get it right and then i'll rejoice.
but now is not that time. :)
okay what you need:
-one deep dish frozen pie crust
-one package of unrolled pie crust (you will only use one)
-one mason jar of apple pie filling
-pizza cutter
-1/4 cup of milk
-1/4 cup of sugar

-pour one mason jar full of apple pie into the crust.
-unroll one pie crust
-with the pizza cutter make strips from the pie crust
-notice that my pie crust was a little munched on one side, it's okay we will use it for the leafs so i placed it aside.
-you will need to leave just a little for the leaves.
-start by placing strips of the dough across the top of the pie...

- cut off the excess and add it to the extra you placed it aside.
-now to make the lattice part of the crust.
-you are going to interweave the strips of the dough the other way now
-continue to interweave the dough strips.
-press down the ends when you get all the lattice done.
-roll out the extra dough
-with a knife cut out leaf shapes, and draw lightly on the leaf (not going through all the way)


-pull back the extra dough from your cut out leaves.
-place the leaves on top of the lattice you just created
-get your milk and your sugar and if you have a pastry brush it will be helpful.
-brush some milk on top of the leaves and lattice.

-after you have brushed milk all over the top of the crust, sprinkle sugar on top of the crust.

PREPARE TO COOK:
-preheat your oven to 375 degrees
-while waiting for the oven to preheat get a square piece of foil paper and fold in 4.
-cut the foil to create a circle
-place the foil on top of your pie (this will save your edges from browning too much)
-cook for 30 minutes
-remove the tin foil
-continue to cook for 30 minutes or until you see the juice boil.
now you have a pretty pretty pie.
and it should taste really good.

we wouldn't know because:

while we weren't looking the dog decided to get on his hind legs and grab and drag the pretty pretty pie onto the floor and proceed to eat the WHOLE  *breathe vanessa breathe* whole pie.


it happened on thanksgiving morning of all days. so when i saw the pie tin empty on the floor. i screamed "NO WAY!no nononononoooooooo.!" the whole family came running and then they all stopped short and no one said a word because i wasn't saying anything anymore but i was flapping my arms up and down...not saying a word. the husband kindly and quietly suggested we just buy a pie.
i gave him "the stare" he quickly backed away.
and then we went to try to find a pie.
oh yeah did you know that EVERYONE and their DOG buy pies BEFORE thanksgving morning??
we even asked the lady at the bakery in walmart if they had any apple pies left.
she gave me the look as "moron, everyone bought pies yesterday."
k fine so we bought a frozen pie.
and you know what?
thanksgiving was fine.
but i can't wait to finally eat my apple pie. maybe this weekend. i mean i have 6 more quarts. :)

32 comments:

Denise said...

As much as it wasn't funny to you, I ROARED when I read that the dog ate the pie lol Oh goodness, I'm still laughing. That is definitely something that would happen to me, which is why I don't own a dog. Although cats are just as sneaky, and I have two! Well, at least the pie was very pretty, while it lasted...

Dawn said...

I can feel your pain, but I've got to tell you that I also roared with laughter as Denise did when I read about the dog. NO WAY did I have an inkling the story was headed in that direction. It was a nice tute if that helps. lol FYI... Try using the rolled pie crust as the bottom crust. Sprinkle a tiny bit of flour on the bottom of the pan and Just lay it in the pan and use you fingers to smooth it in the bottom without stretching it, pleat the excess on the sides just like a pleat in a skirt and after you've laid the lattice on pinch the top and bottom layers together and trim off the excess. My opinion is that the rolled crusts are better than frozen is why I suggest this.
Let us know how it turns out when the dog saves you some the next time ou bake. ;)

Lynn F said...

I love this post and want to try it but I actually laughed out loud when I read about your dog, and the turtle picture made me laugh even harder. Thanks for starting my day with a good laugh (and an appetite for apple pie).

Thimbleanna said...

I feel your pain -- we had a dog who ate a whole pecan pie once. If it's any consolation, your dog ate a GORGEOUS pie!

Miwako said...

Did it really happen? Seriously? wow. Your pie looks wonderful. Maybe I should try. I hope you get make another one soon! We love apple pie. : )

Beth said...

Beautiful pie with a funny ending to the story. Great for laughs in years to come. I once had 3 lbs. of apples missing with a dog that wouldn't make eye contact. Gotta love them!

Angela said...

oh no! That sounds like such a typical horrible Thanksgiving thing to happen.

LOVE the turtle pic though. ;)

Rae R said...

I was laughing so hard I was crying! LOVE the turtle pic. We have two dogs, so I could totally picture this happening to me. And my practical husband saying exactly the same thing. The tutorial was great. I think I'll go make a pie. Love your blog. Thanks for sharing.

NoxCreare said...

waoooo!!!great blog!!!
For more inspiration my blog..http://noxcreare.blogspot.it/
Noemi

Diana said...

The pie looks so delicious and your story made me laugh out loud. Kinda makes me feel better about killing the yeast in the rolls I was supposed to bring for dinner (thank goodness for Sister Shubert :)).

Kristin said...

Your pie is so pretty! We have two labs that like to get into our food too! Our tiny lab ate a whole giant package of those el-cheapo sandwich cookies while we were on vacation...the poor dog got so sick she had to sleep outside. (Yes, they are spoiled dogs!) Nothing like vomit to go and ruin a perfectly good vacation!

Karen said...

I shouldn't laugh but that is really funny. I am sorry! I am still laughing out loud.

pinksuedeshoe said...

This is such a good story. Seriously. If ever I find myself in Iowa I'll teach you how to make pie crust. And you can teach me how to sew ;)

CathyK said...

I guess the dog felt it was Thanksgiving for him/her, too. Perhaps he/she is now QUITE thankful to still be living in the V amd Co home! ;-)

Amy DeCesare said...

OMGosh....forgive me for finding this story so hilarious! Reminds me of the turkey scene from A Christmas Story. {At least you got photos of the pie for this fantabulous post!}

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! Last Thanksgiving our black lab ate the WHOLE crock pot of carved turkey! Thanks for the amazing blog and sharing your story...

pinksuedeshoe said...

So, I just sent this to my sister, and she texted me back with "oh bummer. I hope her dogs farts smelled like cinnamon for the rest of the day." HA! I peed a little. :)

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness!!! This made me crack up! Your dog looks just like mine...guilty! LOL Thanks for this blog post! It made a perfect end to a not so perfect day!! Thank you!!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL I know it shouldn't be funny but the discription of children, husband and WalMart lady are just too everyday and I can relate perfectly. It looked beautiful! Thanks for the reality show. bpeters67@live.ca

Valerie said...

turtle picture = awesomeness (literally LOLing about that picture)

Pots and Pins said...

Hilarious! Although I would have been just as mad as you! Please tell me the dog didn't throw up or get doggie-diarrhea?!? That's what my dog would have done...insult to injury! Happy belated Pie wishes to you!

sonia said...

LOL!!!!!

Elsa said...

So sorry to hear about your pie ~ it really was beautiful and you really can't blame the dog ~ he thought it was beautiful too and tasty. teehee ~

jeifner said...

Ahahaha! That is so the Christmas Story. It's amazing how a series of no no no no's help just a tiny bit. I hope you get to make another :)

Sem Pé said...

Oh my God... I just laugh and laugh!!!!
And when I saw the turtle photo... I rolled on the floor!!!!
My deep simpathy for your pie! :D
Leonor

Lynne said...

Oh my goodness!!! I was roaring with laughter by the end of this post! I can so relate to this! I had a yellow lab that used to "counter surf", too. Some of the items she "found" were: a whole filet of salmon, 2 lobster tails, and a flank steak marinating in a ziplog bag which she dragged out onto the white dining room carpet and ate under the dining room table! The apple pie incident and the guilty dog picture bring back such memories....and, yes, I too had the turtle face (love that picture!).

Denise said...

I commented when you first posted this, but I remembered a story tonight and figured you could use a good ROAR at someone else's expense! When I was in High School, my best friend's family got a golden lab. Cute dog, but was a total garbage disposal. One day her neighbours were about to have a barbecue. They brought out a 2L bottle of Pepsi and a full stick of bologna (we're from Newfoundland lol) and went back in to get something. So the dog goes over and not only takes the stick of bologna back to his dog house, but also the Pepsi. Ate the full stick of bologna, casing and all, and washed it down with 2L of Pepsi. I laughed SO hard! Her neighbour, not so much lol

Barbara said...

So ingenious of you to cut a circle to place around the pie crust edge to keep it from burning! I've been just placing strips of foil around it and of course it falls off when it needs to stay in place. Then I try to crimp it back onto the edge and it stays until I close the oven door again!

Magnolia Souls said...

Your pie was beautiful. As I read your post and got to the dog and the pie I just started cackling out loud. I am so sorry that your pain aided in my laughter. Your story reminded of the movie "The Christmas Story" where the dogs take off with the Christmas turkey.I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Anonymous said...

One empty PIN tin. Rock on Vanessa.

Bearpawquilter said...

A friend told me the story of her golden retriever eating the frozen turkey that was left out on the BBQ shelf on the deck to thaw. Growling and snapping and not letting the other dogs have any - very ungolden like behavior! They knew she was done evacuating both ends when the pop up timer appeared! N

craftytammie said...

OK, I have to tell you, I tried and tried to get pie crust down and in the end, it was that I was over handling it. You need to gently roll it out, handling it as little as possible. I am still not as good as my MIL (of course) but my pies are pretty amazing now! I do have a good recipe if you need one, it's pretty standard though. :) Keep that dog away from this year's pies!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin