Friday, August 17, 2012

V and Co: crash and burn baby

 this week i had a very exciting, sad, weird, fun, happy marker come true for me.
i sent my last child to school.
after 12 years of having at least one small person in my home i now have 6 hours where all my minions/noisemakers/things i call my children are in school.
i thought i was going to have a super hard time with it.
then i didn't.
and then the third day came and then i did have a hard time with it.

on wednesday i went and got a pedicure, shopped (where i FINALLY after TWO WHOLE DANG YEARS, found my yellow cardigan i've been searching and searching for. i found it at old navy and funny the color is "nebraska corn". the dress was found there as well on clearance for $9.99), and then went to lunch at a sit down restaurant with another mom that was celebrating "the last child going to school" marker as well.

so yes, that day was fine, i even sang "it's the best day ever" song by spongebob.
then thursday we had an eventful time of going to joann's getting something's i needed and trying to figure out exactly what project i need to work on first, and had a couple of fun visitors (hello ladies!)...went to lunch again...and then had the kids show up from school.

again. no missing them, and feeling like: "uh wait didn't i just send you out the door? i kind of really like this no having to deal with kiddo things for 6 hours straight!"

then today happened:

and well poor buck and i aren't handling our new found freedom as graciously today as we thought we would.
i guess i'm doing okay...
i'm feeling just mildly disoriented...nothing a good written out schedule wont fix...so i'll be fine, give me a couple of more days of wandering around in circles, finally getting a schedule, and then rejoicing in the fact that i actually have the opportunity to miss my children.

 but the dog, he's really missing his best friend.

he naps, and hangs out in her room most of the day, and when he's tired of that, he sits and stares at me until he realizes i'm not going to put bows, or fabric, or sunglasses on him, or play dolls on him, as the little girl noisemaker likes to do when she's around. he either then just lays down near me, or goes back to her room. poor guy.

or maybe he's like totally okay with it and is like "dude, finally, MY room all by myself with no stupid bow on my ear! i'm just going to relax."
yeah, i don't think so.
maybe i'll rent a kid to sit on him for a few hours a day while she's gone.

or maybe i'll find him a yellow cardi and a cute dress so his third day crash and burn isnt a repeat on monday.
k, that's it, target, old navy, tj maxx, lunches with friends,  and sewing....yeah, that's what i'll have him do so he can see how awesome this new chapter in our life is going to be! :)

29 comments:

Shannon said...

I went through this last year when my baby went to kindergarten. You would think it would be party time but it really can be lonely. I did miss the kids but after awhile, I got into a routine and really got used to doing things on my own. Plus I really looked forward to them coming home...I was refreshed and ready to love on them. Enjoy your time.

Melanie said...

Oh, my goodness...I can SO relate...my fourth started Kindergarten and this is the first time I am kidless in 12 years as well. Wow. It is not what I expected. I went to Target and instead of rejoicing in being able to leisurely take my time and look at what I wanted to...I lamented how if G were with me, we'd go get popcorn and a sweet drink (aka icee) before heading to the toys to pick out something to play with as I got my shopping done, go back to the toys when finished to return the toy and maybe "just look at the toys" some more. Hopefully, this too will pass and my Target sprees will carry that same joy of old when I'd sneak away to do some alone shopping after my husband would get home. Maybe my house will be cleaner too. Ha!

Lee said...

Oh my dear, me and my dogs feel for you. Last June my youngest left home for college and we all rattled around the house for a while finding our bearings. Everytime I open the door to her room one of the three dogs makes a beeline to go in there. We've found our center and lots of projects have been completed and I know you will too. At least until your youngest leaves for college...

tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Entendo isso,é meio que perder alguma coisa que nunca tivemos...Beijos.

Lindsey R. :: LRstitched said...

My baby went to Kindy this year. I thought wow I will get so.much.done! Not so much, lol. I spent the first few days soaking up the silence and now I miss having someone to make lunch for.

I know my husband is wondering when the house will get clean since I have all this free time. Sike!

Love the new dress and the cardi, super cute. I know you and buck will find your groove soon!

kbzelazny said...

Well, my kids are 28,25,and 21, and I'm here to tell you that it is an adjustment every time they leave and every time they come back! I try to remember, that when they're away, they are working towards becoming mature, responsible adults, which I think is the goal. Best of luck!

Melissa Corry said...

Thanks for sharing a peek into your life to get me ready for mine, I am looking foward to this in about 4 years. I think I will respond about the same :) Enjoy your time and best of luck getting used to it. Oh, and love the Cardigan!!!!

SuzyMcQ said...

I just sent the first of my two 1200 miles away to college. I try to rationalize too, he's growing up, spreading wings, this is what you raised them for, etc, but it's still so hard and I have good moments and bad ones where I just miss him so much. Some transitions are easier to deal with than others and you want them to grow up and be good, loving adults, but why do they have to do it so darn fast! Just yesterday he was getting on the kindergarten bus!

V and Co. said...

This is what I'm hoping I get going! A schedule so I can get my own routine in. :) thanks

V and Co. said...

Lol! Yeah a cleaner house would be grand!!!!

V and Co. said...

Pretty sure that's what buck would do if I closed the door too. I couldn't imagine what he would do if she were to be gone more than 6 hours!!!! :)

V and Co. said...

Sigh, I know it is. And she's so excited to go, I will be fine I know I will

V and Co. said...

I love my cardigan too!!!

V and Co. said...

I'm sure when I am ready to send out my kid to college I'll be thinking the same thing. :)

V and Co. said...

Lol! Sad thing is you fill up your time with other things! Why clean?! ;)

Gweny said...

My last of 4 graduated from H.S. this year and it was so weird not buying her school supplies or asking her what teachers she got or what she's going to join. At the same time it was so renewing. Ahhhhhhhh I mean no more did you do your homework? Why do you wait until the day before an assignment is due. No more mom I need money for.. She's going to college next semester. She just needed to not do school for a bit and ya know I was in full agreement with her.. She's got time but trust me I am keeping an eye on her.. She wants to be an RN..

Briawna said...

I'm going to be honest, I long for that day. I have a 2 yr. old and I'm pregnant with #4. My oldest two are in 2nd and kindergarten. But I also realize that I love hanging with my little buddy and I love getting to know her personality, even if that personality gets really ramped up at the grocery store. I know the day will come when I will be "free" for a few hours and then for a few days and then for years on end. I love my quilting and sewing time and I love having my house stay clean for at a couple hours, but I also have to remember that I loves my chubby little girl and she has to win...while I can still pinch her cheeks and kiss her constantly. You have it good, but so do i. My mom keeps telling to find the small joys in every stage of life. I keep repeating that to myself (along with "I can do hard things"...many times a day).

Linda said...

I think the saddest for me was the year my youngest (she's now 28) told me not to bother making her an Easter basket. It almost broke my heart....sigh. I still miss doing that, and filling Christmas stockings.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I was a working mom so it really was not a big thing, until she got married.

I say, take the dog for a walk! LOL!!

glen: he does look so sad without bows on his ears.....

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

First off your outfit is adorable!

Our school hasn't started yet here. We start the day after labor day. My youngest is starting kindergarten then, too. It is going to be a weird new normal.

liz said...

You can always take maddy!!!

SLO Rober said...

I'm in the same boat. It's pretty bitter sweet. The bond between the dog and katie is so sweet!

Jennifer said...

It doesn't seem to matter what age they are or where they go it is always bittersweet to see them go. Even if it is after a few days of realizing that they are really gone. Our one cat goes through the same with draw when my daughter leaves for long periods of time. Then she is up mine and my husband's butts to get any attention.

Four dogs and one quilter said...

Funny how we can't wait for our children to grow and become independent and then when they do,we miss them like crazy. Independence works both ways; it will take some time.

I still remember the day I found my younger daughter, now 26, putting pink nail polish on the the dog's nails.

Annalia said...

Sad, sad. ...but cute new outfit. :)

beki said...

I remedied my baby going to kindergarten by getting pregnant and having another baby. Ha! That's proably not the best plan, but I wouldn't change it for the world ;)

bethanndodd said...

Found myself in the same boat last school year. Now I watch 2 little boys 3 days a week...go figure ;) Enjoy your freedom and remember, noone will see if you dress Busck with bows, sunglasses, etc. You never know, it might make you feel better on days like these ;) Smiles~Beth

Hilary said...

I do wonder what my life will be like on "that" day -- so far I am guessing I'll never know. :)

bdaiss said...

Love the cardi and the dress! Old Navy. Gotta love 'em.

I'm afraid I can't relate to the rest of your problem though. Being a full-time-working-outside-the-house mom (because I recognize SAHM do a lot of work too), that day will just never come for me. 6 hours to myself? *sigh* I have to schedule vacation time for that and even then it won't really happen. Without fail someone will get sick, or something will need to be done, or a trip will be scheduled. But oh the projects I dream of completing if I had the chance... : )

Blog Widget by LinkWithin