Tuesday, January 17, 2012

V and Co: how to: painted heart bag

sorry i meant to get this all done and written yesterday, but i didn't remember that monday was a holiday (aka my kids up my butt and needing me to do things all day long with them) till it was too late. and now i sit in a big empty quiet house with katie sitting next to me playing barbies. all is back to normal (aka boys back in school)
i mentioned before that i bought a three pack of these bags. so naturally you could expect at least one more how to using the bags. i think that last one is reserved for me, so i can have one of the applique bags but either in grays, yellows, or blues. or heck throw caution into the wind and go with eggplant. i know its a shade of purple, and i'm not a purple fan...but eggplant. eggplant i can do. we'll see.

but for today lets make something cute for valentines day.
what you'll need to make this bag:
-one of the three canvas tote bags found in the pack.
- freezer paper

-puffy paint in red pink and white. (found in the crafting section with the paints)
-one pencil with a full eraser
-paper plate to mix paint
-iron


1. first you are going to cut out a 2 pieces of freezer paper (shiny face down) around the size of the bag front.
2. second, place one inside the bag to catch any paint bleeding. the second paper you need to fold it in half with the shiny side inside, and draw half of a heart.
3. third, cut out heart, open the freezer paper, and shiny side down, iron until it adheres itself to the bag front.

-place some paint on your paper plate and dip the eraser of the pencil down into the red paint so that the tip is covered in paint.
-proceed to dab and re-apply paint and dab paint. do this for about 1/3 of the way up.
-add a few random higher dots so it merges slowly into the next shade of pink.
-wipe off excess red paint. and then proceed to start the process all over again with the pink paint (adding a few dots of the pink into the red dot section)

-to create the light shade of pink i added some of the white paint and the pink paint together. 
then i proceeded to continue all the way up to the finish the rest of the heart.
- let it sit a little to dry, then slowly pull off the freezer paper.



and there you have an easy valentines celebration bag.

now if you'll excuse me...i'm off to shovel the driveway and sidewalks...again. the husband called a snow removal place for me...but they don't come out till tomorrow to give us an estimate...and i'm still too cheap to say we really need that.
i'm sure i'll have more stories on that.
we'll talk soon!

48 comments:

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

Seriously..... you're awesome!!!! Love it!

Vanessa said...

Hi, V

I love your bag. Super cute and great project for me and my little one. Have a great day.

Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Love it! Excellent, creative, beautiful idea! :)

trish said...

Super cute! :o)
ps. showing a little snap shot of my before (a small paint job-working up to the bigger ones) on my blog today. :o)

Renee-The Hungry Monster said...

Eep! This is so cute!!!

Kerri said...

So many ideas are coming to mind now...a flower, a christmas tree, fall leaves, halloween pumpkin...Love it!

Kelly said...

This is a cute, simple and inexpensive idea. My kids would love doing something like this. Thanks!

Miranda said...

I love it, it's super cute! Don't you have a neighbor kid who could do up your driveway and sidewalk? Hopefully you won't turn into Alice Cooper this time :)

Melissa Corry said...

What an adorable bag!!! And so easy to whip up ;) Thanks for the great tutorial!!! We just moved from South Bend, IN (90 minutes on the opposite side of Chicago from you :) and I have to say, I have been very grateful not to have to shovel all of that snow this year :) We still get it here in Southern Utah but not near as bad :)

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

You are so creative! I love the look of the different colors blending into one another. Thanks for sharing this!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

This is such a fun idea! I have a couple of twin nieces that I think will be getting these for Valentine's Day! Thanks for sharing such a great idea

Anna said...

what a cute bag! looks like something my girls might even be able to help with, that's always fun. happy shoveling!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

OMG V - that is so totally cute! You could do that for so many other holidays! Great - another cool project to add to my list! Have a great quiet day! I'm so jealous. Jenn

mascanlon said...

Very, very cute! And I think it's something I could do with my granddaughter and neither one of us would get to frustrated. Thanks Vanessa

susana said...

As simple as beautiful! Just perfect!
Susana

Tiphaine said...

This is just a great idea !!! Thanks for sharing !!!!

JLL24 said...

Oh, LA! I don't know how you come up with your ideas, but they are always something thats easy, practical and stunning! This tote is just ideal for a friends birthday next month. Maybe, I'll even make mini ones for her 3 girls. Oh, sorry you have to shovel the 'snow'. Grew up in the midwest, yep, don't like it. I'll will pray for you and a snowblower to clean the snow away.

Evelene S said...

So adorable and it would be perfect on a little girl's shirt!

Make It Happen Mama said...

Aaaw, so cute! Had to pin this one on my Pinterest page :-)

coco said...

Love it! May actually try to do this with my kids fingerprints for my mom for Valentine's Day! Wont be as neat but will mean more to her:) Thanks for the idea!

Elsa said...

This is wonderful! thanks for the tutorial!

Jen T said...

I just copied your idea and made my daughter and niece a Valentine's Day shirt. Thanks for the great idea!

**nicke... said...

adorable v!

Mariantxu said...

lovely!!!!

Anonymous said...

Made these with my girls today. REALLY cute. Thank you! ~Heather R.

Lisa said...

So pretty! Love the spotty effect :)

JJB said...

What a cute bag! Hope you don't mind that I linked to your project in my "Lovey Dovey Roundup"--> http://dancingcommas.blogspot.com/2012/02/lovey-dovey-round-up.html

Joyce said...

This is super cute Thanks! I plan on making this as a thank you gift for my Aunt!

Andrea Gideon said...

Loved your bag so much so I made one too. I posted it on my blog and linked your website. Thanks so much for all your great ideas. Love your website.

Jacqui said...

So cute! I thought I'd bookmarked your tutorial but when I came to do the heart I couldn't find it so had to wing it. Luckily your instructions had stuck in my brain and my effort came out really nicely. Thank you so much! I blogged it here: http://hazelnutgirl.blogspot.co.nz/2012/02/i-heart-you.html

Bobbi Perry said...

What an adorable idea. I can think of so many other ways to use this for my Brides getting married on the Beach!

Jeanee said...

LOVE the ombre! I added your DIY to my polka dot DIY roundup!

http://blog.shopdirtylaundry.com/posts/2012/3/23/50-the-dirty.html

Enjoy :)

Hanni said...

Super adorable project!

TRASTEANDO DIY said...

GENIAL!!!!
Me ha encantado tu blog, te dejo el mio que es de DIY por si te quieres pasar
http://trasteandodiy.blogspot.com.es/

Miranda @ Howdy Stranger said...

This is an excellent tutorial! Thanks! I'd love to try it on a t-shirt too. I added it to my pinterest I hope you dont mind!

How2home said...

This is an amazing idea! I need to give this a try for sure !!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this-what a cute idea and great tutorial!! I blogged my attempt at hallipyeverafter.com. It was a good project to share with a little helper, too :) Your blog is so impressive... as someone who can barely sew a button on a shirt, I really appreciate your sewing talent. Maybe someday I'll work up the nerve to try it again!

Thanks again,

Jacqueline

Nadia said...

Really creative!! love it so much <33
Does it work on Calico Bags? Thank you!

Debbie @ MeandMyDIY said...

This is such a cute idea, and the bag is just adorable. Love your tutorial, pictures, etc. Can't wait to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing your talents with us! I'm a new visitor to your blog...I found you at blog.whimseybox.com, where we're both linked up. Did you know? Had to pop in and say hi. Will be exploring your blog some more. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Debbie

Carissa B said...

i found your project on this site: http://www.surprisediy.com/diy-317.html which appears to have potentially stolen your content. I found you through your watermark (yay for watermarks!). I just wanted to let you know in case you are interested in pursuing it.

Inés & Cris said...

Me encanta!!
Lo pondre en prectica :D

http://girlvision.blogspot.com.es/

Besos

Unknown said...

This idea is wonderful! I wrote a post about your tutorial and I have cited as the source. www.bottegadiberger.blogspot.it

Unknown said...

This idea is wonderful! I wrote a post about your tutorial and I have cited as the source.
http://bottegadiberger.blogspot.it/

Lory said...

Very nice project! I'll try to do it! Thank you!

jen said...

Love this idea. I've included a link to your post in a Valentine craft round-up on my site...http://www.kitchencounterchronicle.com/2014/01/10-fabulous-valentine-crafts-for-older-kids-make.html

Unknown said...

great idea!
I linked to your tutorial on my blog - thanks for sharing!

♥, doro von Hand zu Hand

mvat said...

Hi, I have a couple of questions about the instructions. It says to cut out a heart in one piece of the freezer paper and then iron it onto the bag, shiny side down. So, then, when you dab the paint on, are you dabbing it right onto that freezer paper heart that you just ironed on the bag? The instructions at the end say to slowly pull the freezer paper off when paint is dry, so that confuses me. Does the paint go through the freezer paper? Thanks.

Unknown said...

Where is a good place to get the bags for a cheap price? From Ontario.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin