Thursday, May 19, 2011

V and Co @ quilt market and blogger's meet up

well well well. all i can say is that i've still not recovered from spring market (i didn't even have a booth!), and like so many others have said...i still have a quilt market hangover. i can't believe it's thursday, and, can i just throw this out there... i can't believe i'm moving in a week.

there is so much that happens and so much to process at market, that really you walk away with two things: a blurry memory of all the conversations you've had, and some really, i mean REALLY sore feet. (i have to have cute shoes on...i don't care, i'll shave the corns off later on in life when they show up)
here's just a few encounters in pictures and some shady comments due to the fact that i didn't take notes the whole time i was there so my memory is all kinds of messed up.

i was so grateful to be asked to work the robert kaufman table at sample spree. i've only gone one other time to sample spree and it was a sight to see...but to be on the other side of the table? OH MY GOSH. this picture of me, Amy of diary of a quilter and Julie of jaybird quilts was taken right before the doors opened...we weren't frazzled and crazy yet.
every time i talk to these two lovely girls, i'm pretty sure that if lived closer, we would totally be best friends.
sweetwater is one of my favortie fabric lines always, and this time they were once again...one of my absolute favorite.

the basic grey girls holding up their abby tote bag they made with MY pattern. i think we were both so equally excited to meet each other (okay maybe me more than them) but i was super excited to see my abby tote in their fabric line and hanging out in their booth! :)

sandi henderson's booth is always gorgeous. (uh both time's i've seen it) ;P

but i was so SO excited to see cute sarah jane's new line. and she's sooo nice and cute herself too.


i def had to come by and bug al of cluck cluck sew. we exchange emails on occasion and she makes me laugh real hard. i was SO happy to meet her and hang out with her...like a ton.
also in the picture amy of diary of a quilter, and paige of Where Women Create and the The Creative Connection
then at some point in all the chaos we went to the bloggers meet up, that amy of diary of quilter and cami of make it do put on, i was asked to be the mic, and well after that i got a little over the top, and now i'm embarrassed of my actions and how loud i got. (also this is where i just so happened to jump miss paula prass, who is my "poop" partner. basically she and i bring up poop anytime we can.) ahem, i promise not to be that loud at the sewing summit get togethers. i'll try to be a little more proper. oh who am i kidding, i'll probably embarrass myself again and bring up poop in conversations. picture above is of amy, al of cluck cluck sew, and the DIY girls.
char of crap i made (is freaking hilarious) sabra of sew a straight line (she's equally as funny)
me and kari of Ucreate and sachiko of tea rose home. hi girls!

brassy apple was so... uh tall. and well she made me feel like i midget, yes i had heels, and lets just say she's beautiful, and can make a pole feel fat. 'nough said.
amber of a little bit biased, amy of amy's creative side, allison of cluck cluck sew (see we hung out a lot), me, and erin of two more seconds (who i think is my sister but we just didn't know it)
next picture: natalia bonner of piece n quilt and kim walus of bits and pieces (who were both in the moda bake shop book with me...and we'll be signing copies of the books at a few locations in utah on june 4th! ask your local quilt store if we'll be there!)
next picture: camille of simplify, who i got to hang out a whole weekend with like over 2 years ago and who i feel we always end in the middle of conversations, and then a year later...pick up right where we left off...in the middle of a sentence. :) and then last but not least miss pat sloan who i divulged some pretty important information to...
but one of the exciting things this market for me (thank you julie for the picture!), is to see my houndstooth quilt up at the robert kaufman booth.
and yes, as per popular demand...larger version instructions are on it's way. (fall) so you will be able to make this quilt in lap, twin, queen, and even king size.
and then the second big exciting thing:

i FINALLY get to show you my quilt.
MY PROJECT in the Moda Bake Shop book which btw i should be getting soon and able to send out the pre-ordered books to all of you! :)
sweetwater got a picture of me speaking about it at school house...but being the total dork that i REALLY am...i basically unfolded my quilt right there in front of everyone for the first time since got it back from the publishers...and well...it was one big huge waded up mess of a quilt. sigh. such a dork. oh well, i wouldn't expect anything less from me.
okay i'm tired. i have some really super duper exciting news to re-share (some of you caught it already but for the rest of you i'll leave it at that)...but that is for another day. soon though i promise.

37 comments:

Ruth said...

The more I see that houndstooth, the more I love it.

Timolily said...

Looks like you had a great time! (everyone is sooo pretty!!) One day, when I'm all grown up, I too will go to quilt market! :-)

amylouwhosews said...

Awesome!! Looks like so much fun! I love your houndstooth in blue! I can't wait to make a fool out of myself with you at the sewing summit!!

Exchange Outsourcing said...

Wonderful!

Merran said...

I cant get over how young American quilters are.In Australia I hardly ever run into anyone under 50.

Esch House Quilts said...

Sounds like an amazing time!

I love the houndstooth with the change in colors - looks like part of it is in shadow.

Kelly O. said...

I am totally jealous and equally happy for you that you could go to market! and your quilt looks amazing in that booth! yay you!
I too am the one who can never keep my mouth shut and just prattle on getting louder and louder--the better time I'm having, the more everyone around me knows it!
soooo embarrassing. My friends used to say I was the cheapest drunk ever--I didn't even need 1 drink--completely sober and still acting the fool!

Ricki said...

Quilt Market looks amazing! Your houndstooth quilt looks fantastic!

vivi said...

v!!!!!!!
I totally loved this post, thanks for sharing :)
I know what you mean, while your body is somewhere else, your mind will stay in the fair for days...
the picture with the tall girl made me laugh, your faces are funny
I wish sooo much I could go to a place like this, here there are few people who make patchwork, and only one tiny little fair, it's inspiring to see all of this
and, on a personal note... i love your grey coat with the flowers and leaves!!!!! adorable
hope to hear from you soon

Anonymous said...

How fun! I can't wait for Fall in Houston. I'm super pumped that I'll be able to go. I'm helping a local quilt store - which has grown from sending emails to picking fabrics and books! I'm so geeked!!!

Funky Kim said...

You are NOT a dork! I'm a dork.

That said, I love that quilt you did for the Moda Bake Shop book! Woot!

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

awesome awesome awesome! even the parts other than the one about me :) Just kidding. But thanks for the shout out. And sorry I screamed in your face for a full 30 seconds. I was briefly, and mistakenly really excited for a bit. Your quilts are amazing! So very exciting. It was super fun to meet you. I felt a little star-struck.

DJ Rose said...

The pic of you and Kari and Sachiko I was helping to take. (Holding someone's camera and taking pics) The outtakes are my favorite! The wind was blowing so hard and we were all laughing equally hard. It was a great day!

Lisa @FishyFaceDesigns said...

Oh it looks like you had such a great time...So many beautiful things and they were displayed in such lovely ways...
Thank you for sharing the good times and for introducing me to everyone!
and LOL I wouldnt have worried about my feeties either!
Take care!

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

ha, you're awesome! Thanks for the link, I totally should have done my hair that day! :)

Unknown said...

I am buying up that houndstooth pattern stat when I can make it for me! And I just looove that baby quilt, eep, so cute. I could just wrap my baby in it and stare at her all day. Except that would work better in my imagination because six month olds don't really want to be wrapped up and stared at all day, especially not crawling ones.

Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

Oh my goodness--so many amazing things! You are so famous:). I love that you had your bags and quilts all there--I so love that houndstooth quilt and I have that Abby Bag pattern waiting for me to make still...better get on that! You are wonderful and I'm sad I missed out! Hubby had big things going on that weekend that I needed to be there. So glad you had an amazing time!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

so jealous! sounds like you had a GREAT time and dork or no dork - we still love ya! Good luck moving!!! Your quilt is adorable too! Jenn

Emily said...

Looks like you had an awesome time!!! I love that quilt you did for moda! I'll be on the lookout for the book! :)

Library Gal Quilts said...

Love that houndstooth quilt! I am so in love with solids and this is amazing! Of course you have seen the book "Everyone Poops" correct? If not go to Amazon pronto and purchase!

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

Almost makes me wish I liked to sew (maybe if I was better at it?) Fun fun! Lucky Duck you!!

amy smart said...

You are so funny. Oh man, I can't believe your move is so soon - I still feel pooped - I can't imaging trying to pack up a house. Good luck! I wish I was closer to help. We'll be in touch. . .

charlotte said...

thanks for sharing all the fun. love the hounds tooth quilt. i had only ever seen it in black and white, but this has sparked my imagination for many other options....so i guess i will need to buy it. keep the fun coming, you really inspire me.

Gigi's Thimble said...

You are too funny! Love the whole paragraph on poop. You must really love it. Ha! Well your projects are adorable. I especially love the one in the MBS book! Congrats and it was great to meet you!

Amber

Megan/Brassy Apple said...

oh my gosh stop!!!! you are too cute!

thanks for the shout out and for posting that silly photo of us! good times....

paige said...

I *heart* you Vanessa ... :)

Anna said...

wow vanessa!!! you were BUSY! it looks so awesome and you got to hang out with so many cool people. :) love your houndstooth quilt, and that designers were making your bag! this post reminds me of just how fast you can talk!

Maggie said...

Aaagh! This post was great!! I love the recap and the fact that you had so many things at QM, that is truly cool! I need to figure out this whole quilt thing, that pattern of yours is tempting me!!

Kiery said...

Yay! your quilt is gorgeous! Do you happen to know where that dress/pattern came from next to your quilt at the Robert Kaufman booth?? I have to have it!!!

Sachiko said...

Hey, it was great to see you there. Your quilt is gorgeous! I wish I was there for the book signing.

Good luck with you move!

Katrina said...

I love your houndstooth quilt! Can't wait for larger instructions!

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

V. (I can call you V right since you rode in my car and lived to talk about it): I love this post! One of the best market wrap up posts I've read :] Not only because you said you think that we could be sisters (totally!!) but because you're so dang funny & now that I've met you in person I know for sure how real and genuine and simply adorable you are. I'm still laughing at the lady in the really special dress who was stealing all your moves. ;]

PatSloan said...

so so happy to meet and hug you in person!!!! SMOOCH

Elisabeth said...

Vanessa- I am dying to know where you guys are moving to so I hope you are planning to share soon! I can't believe you have to move again after just getting settled in there a few months ago. At least you are super organized!
The new quilt in the book is so cute!

Elisabeth B.

dana said...

fun fun fun! Congrats on having your quilt up there!!

Me and My Brain said...

I am so excited to see your pictures... specially of the houndstooth quilt. I bought the pattern and I am planning on making my four boys each one.. can't wait.

trish said...

I am loving all these quilt market pictures that you all are sharing with us. Thanks so much for posting them! What an awesome experience it must be to go! :o)
Trish

Blog Widget by LinkWithin