Thursday, June 24, 2010

spruce up your towel


so it's no secret we've been spending oodles and oodles of time at the pool. i wish it was the beach, but that's too far away, so the pool it shall be.
i've been asked by mique of 30 days to do a tutorial for her "funner in the summer" series. and nothing speaks more to me than a big ol nice beach/pool towel.
i took one big hot pink towel from ikea and coordinated it with two light pink hand towels also from ikea and created a super cute want to show this off to everyone towel.

supplies needed:
* one beach size towel
* two small hand towels in coordinating color.
*heat 'n bond iron on adhesive
*bowls and cups of different sizes (edited to bowls and not bowels!)
*pen
first you are going to get your bowls and cup and trace enough circles to fit on your hand towels on the paper side of the heat n bond.
*cut our your circles leaving a little extra so it makes it easier to cut out your circles once ironed on.
*iron on your circles onto the hand towels.
*cut out circles.
*take off paper from circles, and place them on your towel how you would like for them to be placed.
*press circles with iron so they will adhere to the towel.
sew around you circles to fully secure your circles onto your towel.

tada! done and ready to hit any body of water! this little girl loooves hers! thanks mique for letting me be a part of your "funner in the summer" series!
we'll talk soon!
comments closed

43 comments:

Sonya said...

Oh, this is such a great idea!!! The circles look like bubbles! How fun :-)

Monica said...

You never cease to amaze me! Love the idea, actually all the ideas!

Leire said...

so nice!!! I love it!!!

S. Anderson said...

Wicked cute idea!

KaHolly said...

Too sweet, and way to easy! Why didn't I think of that? ~karen

Elisabeth said...

Hey, I like your towels, where did you get them?!

Bonnie said...

Very cute, V! Happy summer!

Maria Amélia said...

wow. this is so cute!!

Tracy said...

Very cute, but I think you meant "bowls" and not "bowels"!

Carla said...

This is really a fun and cute idea. You ooze creativity!!
Don't be mad.......I couldn't resist this......
Just wondering what you do with the bowels listed in your supply list. :)

Julie said...

Will it work if I trace my bowls instead of my bowels? LOL! Great project and hilarious typo (we've all done it!)

Amanda said...

LOVE IT!

lisa said...

you always come up with the best ideas! Im always so impressed, you make it look so easy!

Two Little Tots said...

love this idea and we need some more cute beach towels...my next project!

randi said...

so cute! this only makes pool time more fun!

Anonymous said...

love it! Other shapes would be could too. Now my wheels are spinning!

Laura said...

I think I will use bowls and not my bowels!! What a hoot! Great idea and my grandkids will love them.

The Wifeyness said...

I love this idea!!!! Thanks for posting it!

mommieof4munchkins said...

ADORABLE! But now I think I need to go to Ikea and check out their towels I love the texture!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

first, love it. second, love Ikea.

Great tutorial V.

Brittany said...

I LOVE the way this looks! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to feature it on my blog next week. :) little-inspirations.blogspot.com.

LeAnn said...

Very cute! Today we were at the beach and I was actually wishing for the pool. People everywhere were getting stung by jelly fish, including my four year old little guy. What a way to ruin the fun. :(

Orit said...

Great summer idea! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Just so you know... bowels are intestines, bowls are ceramics. Might want to change that :)

Dogwood said...

what a fun summer towel for any age.

Tif said...

This is so cute! Can't wait to make some.

Marci said...

so cute and simple!

TLF said...

Fantastic idea!

Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

What a super cute towel! Great idea!

Unknown said...

I love this towel! Your creativity seems to be endless. Thanks for sharing.

Anne said...

This is soooo cute!!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-spruce-up-your-towel-with-polka-dot-appliques/2010/06/25/

--Anne

Taylor said...

I love this! The fun beach towels are so expensive, but this would be doable!

Becky said...

Look at you - featured on Craft Gossip again!! Woo!!!

The towel is adorable. So jealous of your closeness to an IKEA!

Amy@ServingPinkLemonade said...

Darling! I love this idea. Thanks!

Kyle & Alissa Circle said...

What a cute idea!! I'm totally going to try that!

Looking for a great giveaway, check out my blog:
http://ragstostitchesboutique.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Ooo Lala I am in love with this idea!!! I am going to have to see if I can find some large towels somewhere in this small town!!!

Kersten said...

Excellent idea! Thanks.

Thimbleanna said...

Ok. What is wrong with you??? Are you smoking something??? Where do you come up with this stuff???? This is the cutest stinkin' towel I've seen in forever. My DIL would LOVE this towel -- thanks for the fab idea!!!

Amanda Jean said...

that is super duper cute, V! i love it! everything is better with polka dots on it. :)

ificould said...

This is so adorable! I am in love! I posted a link on my blog: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/06/dotted-towel.html

Thanks for sharing!

ificould said...

btw, here's a featured button you can grab: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/p/featured-sites.html

The Undomestic Mom said...

Love this! and your blog!!!!

JoDee Martin said...

What a cute idea!!
Now following you- would love a follow back!
JoDee
www.atozformomslikeme.blogspot.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin