Tuesday, November 26, 2013

around here


So it totally snowed and snowed yesterday. Made me a little grumpy. So to kind of cheer me up I started working on teacher Christmas gifts.
Sort of worked.
 Oh I have learned over the years to tolerate winter. Trust me. But with snow comes days filled of shoveling. And while I no longer am JUST shoveling like years past it's still a hard on you chore. And yes, because I'm totally lazy and keep the makeup on that I wore the night before I do in fact look like a cross between these two:
Mind you the hair is spot on. Well, a little shorter and larger...but you get the gist. 
Last year we bought a snowblower. We're true Iowans now. (Perhaps a few steps closer?) 
But lets be honest...that snowblower thing? Its more of a pain in my rear to maneuver than me just shoveling. Yet the husband insists its a faster solution especially since he's not here all day long to take care of the issue. 


But really that's not a bad thing. Seriously who really wants to see me in that state anyways? No one is home but the cat and the dog and while the cat mocks me with looks of "Are you going to stay looking that? You know you look like Alice Cooper right?" I normally just look at her and say "Shut up, don't judge me." But clearly she's judging. It's all good, I got back at her by putting a flowery looking collar on her. 
She hates it. And actually it's made her more judgy. now that I think about it.
And I tell her so.
And then I realize I'm talking to the cat. 
And then I tell myself "It's better than talking to yourself."
"Wait does that count as talking to myself?"
"Shoot! there I go again."
"STOP IT!"
And then I look at the cat and tell her "QUIT JUDGING ME."
She just comes back with "You gonna put a pair of normal pants on or are you going to call those sweatpants you wore to bed your outfit today?"

on going cycle of crazy.
And a cat that's going to make me go to therapy with her abuse.
 Tomorrow will be spent yelling kindly but forcefully telling the kids to clean up their rooms while mom makes her pies, mashed potatoes and whatever else I can get done the day before Thanksgiving.
And yes, thank you for remembering our fiasco last year with the dog and the apple pie. In fact every time we mention thanksgiving, apple pie, or even apples...its like clockwork, someone in the family starts with adding salt to the wound by bringing it up with "Hey remember that one time when Buck totally DESTROYED mom?! I mean destroyed the PIE mom made?"
Good times.
Now I feel like going and double fisting chocolate.

 Thanksgiving is in fact been my favorite holiday of the year.
All that gratitude and stuff...but really...
I really love pumpkin pie.
I think that's the only reason I love thanksgiving so much.
And that gratitude stuff and family togetherness as well.
But mainly its about the pumpkin pie.

 This is also the holiday season that these lovelies show up. I'm not the only one that looooooooves these clementines either.
My kids go into "Hunger Game" mode when these show up and I can't seem to keep them around for more than a nano second. Only reason why theres an actual picture of these here, is because I just bought them and the kids aren't home yet.
I've already had like 5 of them.
I guess it's better than us all fighting over and going through that many Big Macs this season. (see gratitude stuff)
fabric by Robert Kaufman pattern Lucky Stars
Also with Thanksgiving being so late this year...it's kind of thrown me in for a loop. It's cool though,
cause I may not have hardly any of my shopping done...but I've got the start of my lucky stars christmas pillows already done.
bam.

You ready? 

13 comments:

Brenda said...

How do you re-heat so many mashed potatoes if you make them the night before?? I'd love to know your secret, because I hate having to have so many dishes done at EXACTLY the same time, requiring the two hours before the meal to be utter chaos.

mom2three said...

Yea, what Brenda said!! I can never figure out the day before potato thing. The only time I had them like that, they were nowhere near as good as fresh!

Denny1600 said...

Not ready. The cornbread I made today for stuffing came out flat and "firm" (forgot the salt) so I'll give this batch to the birds and try again tomorrow. As for the rest, it's just my mother, DH, and me, so I'll make some of our faves and call it good. And very glad I don't have to deal with the snow. Hang in there!

Rina Mason said...

Not ready. Tomorrow is the day for all the baking and making anything that can be done in advance. Thanks so much for the laughter. I thought my cat was the only one that did that. Have a great Thanksgiving, not the picture perfect kind but the kind that makes great memories that turn into legend.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

McGee the bad basset boy ate the entire bag of carrots for my Lentil soup, then figured he needed roughage and ate his crate pad when i went out for more.

I understand the cat thing all too well.

Jackie said...

Oh, cats. They are like really good friends who can say anything to you without actually using words. S'why we love 'em. Happy Thanksgiving.

Gina S said...

Not ready. Glad you said something about pie, or i would have for got to get them baked. :( . It's going to be one of those days i can tell.

K said...

I hear ya on the tolerating winter thing. And I live in NorCal. I get it...I'm a wuss.

I hope your turkey day gives you just enough aggravation so you can remember it and laugh about it...later.

Lucky star fabric in the pic-- so cute! Which line is it?

V and Co. said...

hey guys, how to keep your potatoes hot the next day: crock pot them and add milk or half and half to moisten them up. :)
as for the fabric? i have no idea it was a few years ago that i got that fabric...it's by robert kaufman! :)

Staci said...

This is one of the funniest blog posts I have ever read! Thank you so much for sharing a little of your self. I totally understand the talking to your judgy little cat--I have one, too. And yes, it sometimes makes me wonder about my sanity.........

Brandy said...

Hee hee, I love the conversation between you and your cat, and how you got her back with the flower. Our family cat looks very similar to yours, and if we tried to put something like that flower on her she'd curl up and not move until we removed it! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving, our family potlucks so all I had to do was make pumpkin pie the night before, lucky me :) Thank you for the laugh Vanessa!

Annalia said...

I love your Christmas star! All of that shoveling sounds exhausting...but I'll bet it keeps off the winter weight. ;)

Am L said...

I am reading this more than a week later, but thank you for sharing! I am right there with you, although I don't have a cat at the moment. There were moments, when my kids were still babies, that I left the house and it occurred to me as I arrived in the grocery store parking lot that I had idea what I looked like, and if I remembered to brush my hair. Thankfully, those days are past. I use my phone's alarm clock to give myself a "get ready" reminder on sloth mornings. : )

Blog Widget by LinkWithin