Thursday, June 13, 2013

V and Co: i miss my sewing machine...but...


 i haven't touched my sewing machine for over a week. maybe it's been almost two.
sigh.
i really miss it.
i have been thinking of a butt load of fun things to make...and yet...no sewing and no crafting has happened.


no, instead i find myself traveling in the car to and from concert band, jazz band, orchestra, gymnastics, reading camp, and scouts. phew!
every morning we are up and at em.
man, i spend a lot of time in the car.
but it's okay, my kids are happy and active in things they like. and it gets us up and moving as a family early in the am.
i can't complain, i also enjoy the time i have in the car with each individual child to each individual activity we are heading to or from.



this year we have our summer schedule again (but this time i laminated it, thank you very much! oh and i spelled vacuum right this time!)

every day they are responsible for things that aren't on the list (i.e., pick up room, make bed, take laundry up to the laundry room)
i put pick up rooms on wednesday as a more "deep clean" pick up room, as in check the closet for all the stuff that was stuffed in there to hide it, remove all excess toys on top of dressers and so forth.

and this year we added a fun little experiment to our chore list

this year we have added timed increments to each chore, and a small allowance to be earned for each chore completed either by or before the time is up.
for example for bathrooms they each have 10 minutes of hard work (each child doing something different) and when the time is up they get either 25 to 50 cents depending on the chore (bathrooms are 50 cents, dusting is 25 cents).

what?
too cheap you say?
nope.
not when you go to the pool everyday and their snack bar consists of items from 25 cents to 4 dollars.
my kids love to earn their day's snack junk at the pool by finishing up small increments of chore times.

oh go ahead say it "but vanessa you have a teenager! wont he totally say "whatever, don't care, i have money from my birthday anyways.""

yeah, well here's my answer: no work= no pool or video game time or friend time. so you can either work and get paid enough for the snack bar or you can get nothing and the whole family suffers that day.

it's never come to that thankfully. because my kids know i'll do it. i don't threaten, i follow through.

i also have decided that 5 to 10 minute increments of time is a huge amount of time when there is motivation to get the chore done.
every day we have finished most of our chores by 10 even in between all the traveling we have been doing for the summer activities.

my minions are doing awesome, and i love that this experiment of small timed increments has worked out so well.
we go to bed with a relatively put away, clean house, and wake up having to just hit the scheduled chores to keep it up.

i think i may try this on just me when they go back to school. because let me tell you when you only have 5 minutes to pick up the master bedroom and you don't want to be the only one that didn't do it in the allotted time, you'd be amazed at just how darn fast your butt can get in gear. i think i'm going to give myself 10 minuted every day to tackle the storage room that houses all my fabric scraps. perhaps a scraps giveaway and listing some fabric in the shop? hmmmm. we'll think about that later on.

i've said it before, and i'll say it again. one of my favorite things about the midwest is the fireflies, and the clouds.

 this looks like it's some kind of smoke billowing from some far away fire...but they aren't they are clouds. this was the scene when i looked east from my back yard.
and this is what i saw when i looked west later on that evening on my husband and my walk. 
i love the midwest clouds. my husband is like "why are you so weird about the clouds?" and i'm like "they totally look like "Toy Story" clouds and then at other times they do weird things like...blah de be blah blah blah." yes, by that time he tunes me out. what can i say i like them. it makes me happy. happy makers they are.

so yes, i've been feeling like i really would love to put in some sewing time. and i will here and there. (there has to be a rainy day in there again sometime right?) or perhaps one day the kids just decide they want to stay home and make quilts one day instead of going to pool. no? well maybe. you never know.


but for now, i'll enjoy the things that are making me happy till i can get back to the other thing that makes me happy...sewing.
:) we'll talk soon.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear someone else has been so busy the machine is starting to gather a thin layer of dust too! Enjoy your time with the family because you'll never get the time back, and send more of those beautiful clouds out to us please!

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

Taking your sewing machine to the pool!!!

Carolyn J. said...

we loved the clouds when we lived in Iowa too - except when they came with storms :)

enjoy your summer!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me! I have been trying to come up with some ways to motivate them to do chores and then have fun time. Maybe small increments of time first thing in the morning is the way to go. And we NEED to come up with a payment system for Wii and computer time. Thanks for the inspiration! Have a lovely summer!

Wens said...

Great cleaning schedule! I need one of those. My Mum and sister recently joined the cloud appreciation society! They share pictures of beautiful skies from around the world. http://cloudappreciationsociety.org

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

What a beautiful sky.

You need to read, Capitate Your Kids. I used it when Carrie was in high school and it made life so much easier. It was fair and it kept us from having problems over every little thing.

And it taught her to work for her money and save some and spend some.

She and Andrew are way ahead of where we were at their ages.

Although I keep saying, wait until you have kids..........

Teri said...

I haven't sewn much either, but I am still enjoying my family time.

My motivating trick this summer is to change the wi-fi password every night. When the chores are done, they earn the password. It has been a great motivator. Much better than I ever dreamed.

Donna said...

I love reading about the things you have come to love in Iowa. It will always have a special place in my heart since I grew up there. Enjoy your busy summer! I too have not had time to sew but keep hoping I will one day.

Jackie said...

Sounds like a summer of fun.

Sarah @ sarahquilts.com said...

Just ordered some Simply Style precuts online! :) So excited to get them next week.

Purple Quilter Queen said...

So jealous! Love your Summer Chore chart! I'm busting out the crayons tonight and making one myself! What a great idea for time allottments - brilliant! Beautiful pictures. You make it seem so homey no matter where you land. Hope to see some more sewing projects from you soon. Can't wait to bust into my Simply Color charm packs too this summer! Take care! Jenn

Carla said...

Hi Vanessa. Looks like a great plan! Enjoy all that sun.

Ali said...

I need one of these to get my kids organised and those clouds are fabulous.

I just made a wall hanging with your simply colour. It is here if you would like to look.
http://makinghappyness1.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/when-it-is-coventry.html

Anonymous said...

Ah, fireflies! I used to love visiting my grandparents in NW Arkansas when I was a little girl in the early 50s. I caught fireflies in a jar w/some blades of grass. Every child should be able to see the magic of fireflies. Alas, most of mine never got the chance. We don't have them in the San Diego area, or in Vegas.....8-|

Books_Bound said...

I just moved back to Nebraska from NY, and I just love being able to see clouds again without trees or hills in the way (people from tree-y and hilly places never understand this.) If you're in Iowa, it looks like we sent you some pretty crazy clouds and rain tonight (Friday)!

Anonymous said...

I live in Iowa, too. One of my favorite things about summer is painting my toenails and having tan lines on my feet. Right now, my toe nails are dark blue with glitter. I am going to pretend it's rainy today because I want to finish sewing a lining for a summer tote bag I crocheted before the season to use it is over.

bdaiss said...

One of these days I'm going to motivate myself enough to make a chores list and make my kids (and myself) stick to it. Unfortunately when I work all day and the kids are off at the club playing all day, I just don't want to spend the few precious hours we have before bedtime doing chores.

I'm also a cloud gazer. LOVE a good cloud watching sessions. You captures some great ones!

Home design said...

The clouds are gorgeous. Your husband is just teasing. The colors- wow. in all honesty, do you know what they really look like? Greek yogurt with swirls of strawberry ;-)

Anyway, we can all see what we want to but the bottom line is, they are absolutely beautiful. This is something we can enjoy for free every day and we should.

Kritta22 said...

we could be bff's. for reals i love your lists. I love that your kids know you will follow through. And I love that you spelt vacuum wrong some time before! :)

Anonymous said...

I think it's possible that you could have the most photographed feet on the internet!

Very neat photos of the weather. We are experiencing the same here in Pennsylvania. We can't wait until you get back to sewing. Have a good summer!

Amy W. said...

What fabric and color are you using for your double wedding ring quilt background? I going to make a quilt with 1930's fabric and I think the
fabric you are using for your wedding rings would be perfect. I am making a quilt right now with your simply color charm pack-my first real quilt!!

Thanks

Amy

Pvc fabric supplier said...

:) I love the blog, Keep up the good work!

SeLA @Professional Doctorate said...

It sounds like you have been super busy lately. I love your summer cleaning schedule. I really need to make one of these for my house. Thanks for the inspiration and I love the toenails.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin