Monday, November 7, 2011

V and Co: how to: easy fall wreath

 okay now this may be a no brainier of a project. but i made it and  it was such a steal of a project and it made my house a little festive so i thought i would share it.
so a few days into october i wanted to change my hydrangea wreath to something more fall-ish. so i went to tj maxx to find something real quick.
i really couldn't find anything but this wreath up above.
so i bought it with the intention of keeping the receipt and keeping the tag on it and trying it out for at least a week to see if it would work.
i wasn't all that impressed.
so i started to look online to see what i wanted. i found this  but for $56...uh i don't think so.
 i went to Micheal's and they had their long fall garlands on sale for 60% off. yup i bought my garland for like $8. and i already had the wreath in my storage (you can find them at Micheal's for pretty cheap as well plus use your 40% off yeah...not a bad deal)
 i did have to buy these floral cloth wires for $1.98 but i used my 40% off on them. and didn't use more than like three or four of them, so i can use them again in another wreath in the future. i figured this was a pretty good deal and no where near $56 buckaroos, and way better (and cheaper) than the $16.99 tj maxx wreath.
here's what i did:
 first i wanted a rough estimate of how much i was going to need on my wreath. so i placed it on top, making sure that all the leaves were facing up.
 then i cut a few of the cloth wires just large enough that it would be easy to work with (around 3")
then i hooked the wire through the wreath and the garland (this particular garland was made of chains, so every three chains i looped and tied a wire) if your garland doesn't have a chain just hook through the wreath and around the main part of the garland.
 once i got back to where i started i cut off the excess part of the garland.


 here is the wreath with the garland tied on and on the right side is the rest of the cut off garland.
 as i looked at my wreath i didn't like how bare some of the places looked. so i took the remainder part of the garland to fill in the places that seemed bare.
 i mainly used three chains cut and then tied into the wreath with the wire, and i used the rest of the garland to fill in the less filled in spots.
 what i got was a pretty good cheap (but not cheap looking) version of that $56 wreath.
 here it is on my front door, and yes there is my daughter's adorable dog looking all kinds of pathetic because she was at school and i had walked away from him for a minute.
so now...lets start thinking of a good winter-y one that will be worthy of hanging on the V and Co door.
ps: my colombian mother is here visiting. :) i love when she's here because by the end of her visit my kids are speaking spanglish and asking for uvas and leche instead of grapes and milk. oh and she gets her cook on and we get to eat pandevonos, which i love and can never replicate quite like her. we've got a few fun things to do, but she's mainly helping me with organizing and whipping me back into speaking spanish fluently.
pps: my birthday is on thursday and i'm giving away stuff to make it fun and not depressing that i'm moving past the hump of 35 and turning 36.
:)
we'll talk soon.

33 comments:

Unknown said...

Very pretty!

Shontelle said...

Hey V. Yours looks heaps better than the $56 one. v. nice.

Carla said...

Easy peasy and beautiful!

charlotte said...

V-let me be the first to tell you that there is no age that should depress you. I have found that I still feel like I am in my twenties even though I am now 54. I tell people proudly. I am not embarrassed by my age. That's 54 years of living baby!!! Enjoy each one. That's the gift. Buenos dias to you.

Lauren said...

So pretty! My door is looking pretty bare & I'll be making a stop at Michaels tomorrow. Better add these to my list!

I'd love for you to link up and share:
http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/11/pinteresting-linky-party-week-twelve.html

Mrsblocko said...

Your version looks loads better than the pricy one.

I'm so glad I found your blog!

Needle little Balance said...

Very pretty! How do you keep the wreath on your door? Is there a hook (and don´t your kid ever slam the door ;-)? )

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Thanks V - it's so cute on your door - I may have to try to make one. And 36? - you're just a baby!

Leila said...

I turned 36 this year too. Weird to think that we still have at least 36 more years ahead of us.

BTW - You said in your last post that you wanted to do some group teaching? I know that the Des Moines Modern Quilt Guild is looking for speakers next year. If you are interested I could let them know. I am presenting in February. Eeek.

Of course, you would have to come early so we could do dinner and I could grill you on writing books vs patterns. :)

Anna said...

now that's a festive fall wreath! lovely. and have fun week with your guest. :)

kindigo27 said...

My birthday is Thursday too! Though I'll be 33. And great wreath!

V and Co. said...

yes, my kids slam the door all the time. :) i use a magnet heavy duty hook for my door. of course my door is metal so that works. :)

Miranda said...

It looks great!

Meredith Daniel said...

This is awesome! I love it! I made your hydrangea wreath and now I've got this wreath thing going. I just have to find the floral stuff at a good discount otherwise it is just plain highway robbery! Love this! And happy early birthday!

sonia said...

Beautiful idea! Garcias por compartirla, eres fantástica! Me gustan todas tus ideas! (Hope you are now fluent enough in Spanish)
I'm a teacher of English, (may I ask you), are you bilingual? If you are, then you are my super-heroine. Funny, creative, quick, a great mother and bilingual!

Carolyn J. said...

Love it!

JustPam said...

Pinning this. I don't know if I'll get around to making it, but yours is way nicer than either of the store bought ones. Great job and thanks for the tute!

Brandi said...

Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Uau!
Wonderfull!!
I'm brasilian! Sorry my english!
Kisses,
Jo
www.banana-cazza.elo7.com.br
www.banana-cazza.com

Dara said...

I just had my birthday last Thursday. I just jumped into the late 30's and turned 38!! I used your friends idea and had my second annual charity birthday celebration. I have friends come for a potluck and then we do a service project. This year I had them bring items for the local women's shelter and we did a quilt (well I made a quilt top but we didn't quite get around to quilting it!! All the best on your birthday.

Kimberly said...

Great wreath! And enjoy that transition to the big 3-6. I took the leap in September and am still recovering.

Simply AJ said...

Nice job... I love it when you are able to take something pricey and make it for a fraction of the cost! Enjoy visiting with your Mother and Have a fantastic Birthday! AJ@queenofmynest

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! At 35 I flew half way around the world to get married and start a new adventure. So, never be down abt your birthday, just look forward to all the new adventures to come. By the way, I REALLY love your Fall Wreath. Homemade is always the BEST!

gmp said...

Your wreath is amazing, and much nicer than the $56 one. Also, I'm sending you early wishes for a very Happy Birthday. Enjoy - and remember - it's only a number! You are so lucky to have your Mom visiting. Treasure those moments and the time you spend with her.

Anonymous said...

De...lightful!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

So pretty and so much impact! Thanks for the how-to, I'll be linking.

amylouwhosews said...

this is so cute! I love your quick wreath ideas!! Now to get to Michaels by myself...

Anonymous said...

I love it, and a very happy birthday from an already 36 year old... its not so bad!

Manderley de GuindillayCanela said...

I Like it, is so cute!

mom2three said...

I don't know what pandevonos are- but you should have your mom do a guest post and teach us all how to make something yummy and Colombian!

Annalia said...

too cute! i think i'm ready for a Christmas one, so maybe I'll try it with something hollyish thrown in.

Mimi said...

So cute!

Tanya said...

hey v! i am gushing over here because i really want to win one of your patterns on marci's blog! i silently gush over everything you do all the time! i hope you are doing great!! i am so sad that i never came to visit you when you lived in my home state. take care!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin